Edge = broken.

After tip-toeing around alcohol for 26 years, I tried a glass of wine at my girlfriend's apartment about a month ago. Then last weekend, I tried some of her Blue Moon beer, which I liked a lot. This past Friday, however, the world as we know it changed:

I ordered and drank my first-ever beer.

Better yet, I started off all classy-like with this:

[image]

Shit's something like $8 a bottle -- and it was on the company tab, which made it even tastier.

So to all who have, at one point in time, told me "Dude, whenever you start drinking, I'll totally buy you a drink," it's time to break out those wallets.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest genericinsight

Any particular reason why you decided to start drinking after not doing so for years?

I always am curious about this. I'm 27 and just have no desire to drink whatsoever, at all, so I'm always interested in what people who once never did have the motivations to start doing so.

Guest genericinsight
yar, 27 here as well, still haven't had a beer. soda's cheaper.

Absolutely. Not knocking those who drink, but we save a shit ton of money by not doing so!

Any particular reason why you decided to start drinking after not doing so for years?

I always am curious about this. I'm 27 and just have no desire to drink whatsoever, at all, so I'm always interested in what people who once never did have the motivations to start doing so.

I'd never had a drink in my entire life. Not once. And my girlfriend and I recently took a vacation to Sonoma, California, which is wine country (we went there for a wedding), and we went on all these wedding-party wine-tasting tours and I continually abstained, and after a while, it just seemed kinda silly because there was really no real reason for me not to try it. I ended up not drinking at all when we were out there, but my girlfriend did buy a nice bottle of wine while we were there to have for our anniversary a few weeks later. She opened it and poured me a glass; I kinda looked at it for a while and then figured "What the hell," and took a swig.

Shockingly, the end of the world did not come.

I don't know what I expected to happen, but nothing bad came from it. I enjoyed the taste, and it was something my girlfriend and I were able to share to be closer with each other.

Since then, I certainly haven't gone out of my way to drink, but as I mentioned before, I tried a sip of her beer the last time we were out, and then on Friday, I was at a show with a whole bunch of co-workers and we all went to a swanky wine bar next door afterward just to hang out, and I felt so comfortable with everyone that I thought I'd give it a try for real. I ended up really enjoying it,

Am I going to drink a 24-pack of PBR every single day? God, no. But if I'm in a comfortable environment with friends, I'll probably order something as I'll feel safe. My biggest worry in college about drinking was I'd go to parties and see guys my size get totally wasted and then just start pawing girls. That freaked me out, and I definitely never wanted to be someone like that. But now I'm older, and I understand that having a drink definitely doesn't get you drunk, and when you're with friends, it only really enhances the experience.

Wow, I just wrote a lot.

mmmm sunkist.

i haven't drank since i was 18, never done drugs. well, i did take a drink of jim beam at the bar after my friend's funeral just because my group of friends all did the shot together in honor of him. i just have alcoholism in my family and i don't see the need to get fucked up to have a good time. everyone assumes by my personality that i am a drinker and drug user too. i hang out with stoners and drunks. my kind of people ;)

plus, all my money goes to buying music so i'd be in the doghouse if i drank too.