The death of the $3 7"...

From the inbox

Effective October 27th all orders will be subject to a 12% surcharge.

To Our Valued Customers

We are living in a challenging economic environment.  Over the course of 2008 our vendors have continually increased prices on products and services associated with manufacturing your vinyl records.  These increases have been anywhere from 12% on packaging products to over 20% on energy charges.  The cost of black vinyl has increased over 25%, and color has risen even more.  This dynamic has impacted almost every line-item in our cost structure.

To this point United has been absorbing these price increases, but can no longer afford to do so.  Effective October 27, 2008, we will implement a 12% surcharge on all orders.

We are very sensitive to the economic circumstances in which we are all living, and pledge to do our utmost to manage our costs and provide you products that represent the highest levels of quality, service and value. We appreciate your support and look forward to continuing to work together to meet your vinyl record needs.

Thank you

United Record Pressing, LLC

-----------------------------------

This could mean a lot of things to some people, and nothing to others.

Hopefully everyone understands that records are EXPENSIVE and will take that into account when getting pissed about a $5 7".

one of the reasons i stopped buying 7 inches. just not that good of a deal like in the good ole' days.

i've been slowly liquidating all my 7 inches and just sticking to 12" or the occasional 10"

i would rather throw something on and let it play for a while these days while i'm doing something else too instead of just short bursts...i don't have much time to just sit and spin 7 inches...

gas prices dont really affect other petroleum product prices. i may be wrong but the process to make vinyl might be slightly more expensive than it costs to refine oil into gasoline.

it actually costs more to refine crude oil into gasoline. there is a process that separates the crude into its seperate parts (or layers). The gas layer is removed and sent on for 5 or 6 more steps of refining and cleaning. It's the shit at the bottom that is used for petroleum products because it isnt high enough quality for gasoline.

also the falling gas prices have nothing to do with the election. gas prices are falling in canada as well. opec has admitted that the price of gasoline has nothing to do with supply and demand anymore, it is the main factor in economies now taking over for gold and it fluctuates the same way gold does. you have to think of it as a commodity.

its off topic but now you know, and i'm sorry that you guys are going to have to pay an extra 12% to get shit pressed