Who puts on good house shows nowadays?

1. keep the myspace page updated

2. no glass containers

3. take donations instead of a cover

cops check out myspace pages. that's how Monkey Mania here in Denver got shut down.

say no to myspace.

might not be the smartest idea for an article... house shows are generally pretty illegal.. too much publicity gets them shut down.

but from when we did them:

1) be very cool with neighbors.. offer to let their kids come over, or buy em a pizza or movie tickets.. usually goes a long way to keep them from calling the police on you.

2) get a decibel meter... and know your local sound ordinanaces to a T

3) no one outside drinking/smoking/breaking shit

4) music over by like 9pm... unless you're in a soundproof basement.

The Lucky Gator people are probably great to talk to, especially considering they have lots of shows there and they never get shut down, as opposed to Fuck Mountain, which is in the exact same building, one floor higher, and every show I've ever been to there got shut down.

I don't get what's illegal about having a show. If it's donation based, you keep the sound below legal levels, and the owners give permission to do it, it's completely legal. It's just like having a party, only with bands. As long as you keep your shit tight, you're fine.

are you going to keep the location of said house-show-thrower out of the AP article to keep the po-po from bustin' the party up? because I think you 110% should not publish any way of getting their location easily... same with their full name. make like an alias to throw them off or something.

Guest genericinsight
are you going to keep the location of said house-show-thrower out of the AP article to keep the po-po from bustin' the party up? because I think you 110% should not publish any way of getting their location easily... same with their full name. make like an alias to throw them off or something.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree, don't post addresses (especially if the house alias IS the address).

Also, good luck finding any house show spaces that actually will be down to be interviewed, as a lot of them will likely want to keep their locales out of a major magazine and risk getting their space shut down.

There was just a dude in Rochester, NY that was holding shows at his house, and when the cops came and shut it down he ultimately got evicted from the apartment because the landlord got pissed.

You have to remember that these folks actually LIVE there and if the article resulted in them not only losing their show space but also their living space, that could end up with some really upset people and maybe even lawsuits in extreme cases...

There's a place in baltimore called charm city art space, which I guess wouldn't count because it's just a space, but it's all done diy. Otherwise, there's a place called frisby house punk hostel, but they only do maybe 2 shows a month, almost always acoustic. But algernon just played there and o pioneers have played there before. They've been doing it for a while and all the neighbors are really cool with it. Google "frisby house punk hostel" and message them. They'd help I'm sure

Guest genericinsight
There's a place in baltimore called charm city art space, which I guess wouldn't count because it's just a space, but it's all done diy. Otherwise, there's a place called frisby house punk hostel, but they only do maybe 2 shows a month, almost always acoustic. But algernon just played there and o pioneers have played there before. They've been doing it for a while and all the neighbors are really cool with it. Google "frisby house punk hostel" and message them. They'd help I'm sure

What about "The Broasis", I know Ruiner has shows there sometimes. Is that even a house?

slaughter house in st. louis

antartica house in chattanooga

Antartica rules. Lemuria is playing their Nov 5. Is Hank Jones dead? You're loved down here.

nope! were not dead! were playing with H2O on thursday! I could see us taking a friday off just to drive down to TN to play chattanooga... were you at the last show we played there at that house? shit was wild/off the hook.