should I buy an x-box 360 or ps3?

chunkrock

I'm buying an hdtv and I want to get a gaming system. I'm leaning towards PS3 right now only because of the blu-ray player, the games on xbox 360 seem to interest me more though.

Should I go ps3 or x-box and just get an up converting dvd player or something?

side note anyone know if up converting dvds looks alright?

the ps3 is a glorified bluray player. Which isnt totally a bad thing. But with the stand alone prices around 200$ its working against Sony atm.

Personally I like both. I'd go with xbox simply because there's a lot more users on xbl and games to play. And I always run into trouble with PSN. Not Xbl, wii connect 24, any computer, any wireless computer that enters my house... but PSN cant connect; reason it gives? Dropped connection. So I have to manually put in the IP address and such every few weeks. Its quite the hassle.

Long story short; xbox. But you'll be happy with either.

go with the 360 if you LOVE games and want to play with lots of friends. random people is fun too. But really, the 360 is a better gaming system. the hardware suck, its ugly too! it makes noise, it breaks but its all worth it.

buy a ps3 if you like buy movies and play some games and dont care much about the extra stuff. because really if you just play a game a month or two, youll have more than enough for your tastes even if you seem to prefer the 360s library.

I'm leaning towards PS3 right now only because of the blu-ray player, the games on xbox 360 seem to interest me more though.

Well, do you want to watch movies, or play games? If a Blu-ray player is that big a deal for you, maybe you should buy neither of them, and just get a Blu-Ray player.

If you want to play games, though, I'd definitely go with the Xbox 360. Yeah, the online isn't free ($5 is a small price to pay), but it's reliable, and there's a huge online community. You get what you pay for.

see i'd never buy a ps3 for a bluray player. why spend that kind of money for a shitty bluray player and a system with only 2-3 good exclusive games? you can get a decent blu ray player now for about $200 and the 360 has a lot more great games that are exclusives. honestly, i've never watched a blu ray movie on ps3, but i remember how shitty the dvd player on the ps2 was and would guess that it'd be comparable. specialized stuff is the way to go.

I've had the PS3 for 2 years almost and the X-Box 360 Elite for one. I haven't had a problem with either.

How exactly is the PS3 a shitty blu ray player though? Riddle me that, please. It's the EASIEST to update as far as firmware goes and everything I've ever watched on it has looked fantastic. My only complaint is that, for some reason, the Crank Blu Ray disc will only play in stereo. Nobody can explain why.

PS3 is actually the best blu-ray player out since it is the only one that is fully capable of being upgraded to the bly-ray 2 firmware that is supposed to be out sometime in the future.

I've had my 360 for almost a year with zero problems, but it barely gets any use. My friend has had his since launch with no problems, while a kid i work with is on his 3rd since launch. I'm pretty sure the new ones have solved some of the problems that cause the rrod too.

360, hands down if you wanna play games. I've had one for 18 months, had to replace it twice but i've got about 25 quality games for it and i love it. Like everyone else has said, it's got a much better lineup and it's controller is considered to be one of the best ever designed.

I just sent my 360 back for the first time yesterday. Was not stoked about that AT ALL, but when it's in my den I absolutely love it.

What's up with having to send it back more than once? I thought the hardware failure gets fully fixed on the first send back.

Nah unfortunately not, i got mine in june 2007 and it broke in july, managed to get another year or so out of it before it broke again in sept this year. I think more recently the repairs they make and the chips they're using in newer consoles have brought down the failure rate, on launch it was one in every three that went to shit.

So right now things look pretty evenly split.

A lot of them games I want to play are on both systems but there are a few that are x-box only (crackdown and gears of war mostly) and there aren't really many exclusive ps3 titles I care about. However I'm not an avid gamer by any means. I like to play every once in a while but I am a big nerd so the blu-ray is a selling point. Unless I got the x-box 360 and add on hd-dvd player.

So right now things look pretty evenly split.

A lot of them games I want to play are on both systems but there are a few that are x-box only (crackdown and gears of war mostly) and there aren't really many exclusive ps3 titles I care about. However I'm not an avid gamer by any means. I like to play every once in a while but I am a big nerd so the blu-ray is a selling point. Unless I got the x-box 360 and add on hd-dvd player.

hd dvd player has been discontinued... but still, xbox wins hands down, you get all the awesome exclusives, the GTA IV DLC/Gears Of War etc and access to xbox live which is so much better than the PSN even though there's an annual fee. Plus all the cross platform releases are usually almost identical graphics-wise on both and the xbox usually churns out a better frame rate.