Recently Watched Thread

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(500) Day of Summer

oh, how fucking adorable. And hilarious too. Zooey is my absolute favorite, and I can never get enough of her and she was at the top of her game in this film (because as much as I love her, she's not a terribly great actress). I thought it was very well written, with just enough imagination.

How to Lose Friends and Alienate People

My roommate had netflixed this and I was home all day Sunday sick, so I popped it in. It wasn't bad. I don't think I would watch it again, but it was a good way to kill time.

Away We Go

I can absolutely speechless about this. I already have a soft spot for Sam Mendes, John Krasinski, Catherine O'Hara, Jeff Daniels, and Maggie Gyllenhaal, but with that aside, I realized that this is the kind of film I want to be able to write. Something that is fearless about the way it makes you laugh, and aggressive in the way it makes you cry.

I've never felt better at the end of a movie. I've now seen this film 4 times. I've spent over $44 on this shit. and I want to go againnnn. Anyone up for it?

You know Dave Eggers wrote this script, right? Well, with his wife, but they're both writers. I suggest you check out How We Are Hungry (short stories) and You Shall Know Our Velocity novel by Eggers. He also publishes McSweeney's which is an everflowing fount of uber-pretentious shite, but still...his writing is pretty good.

(500) Day of Summer

oh, how fucking adorable. And hilarious too. Zooey is my absolute favorite, and I can never get enough of her and she was at the top of her game in this film (because as much as I love her, she's not a terribly great actress). I thought it was very well written, with just enough imagination.

How to Lose Friends and Alienate People

My roommate had netflixed this and I was home all day Sunday sick, so I popped it in. It wasn't bad. I don't think I would watch it again, but it was a good way to kill time.

Away We Go

I can absolutely speechless about this. I already have a soft spot for Sam Mendes, John Krasinski, Catherine O'Hara, Jeff Daniels, and Maggie Gyllenhaal, but with that aside, I realized that this is the kind of film I want to be able to write. Something that is fearless about the way it makes you laugh, and aggressive in the way it makes you cry.

I've never felt better at the end of a movie. I've now seen this film 4 times. I've spent over $44 on this shit. and I want to go againnnn. Anyone up for it?

You know Dave Eggers wrote this script, right? Well, with his wife, but they're both writers. I suggest you check out How We Are Hungry (short stories) and You Shall Know Our Velocity novel by Eggers. He also publishes McSweeney's which is an everflowing fount of uber-pretentious shite, but still...his writing is pretty good.

I'll definitely check out all of that.

Thanks for the suggestions :] always appreciated.

He also wrote the screenplay for the upcoming Where The Wild Things Are adaptation.

I hope WTWTA will be as good as I'm wishing it to be. Spike Jonze is a fantastic director.

Which leads to...

Sam Mendes' "Revolutionary Road." I liked the acting and camera work/cinematography, but damn that movie is depressing. It starts out that way and never lets up. Sam Mendes sure loves depressed, angry, and hopeless suburbanites.

I'm on episode 9 of Carnivale season 2. I finished season 1 in two days. Such a great show. I'm bummed it got canceled, especially since I'm assuming alot of the storyline isn't gonna get resolved. The show was scheduled to go 6 seasons.

i love that show. i always hoped they'd have a movie like HBO did for Deadwood.

He also wrote the screenplay for the upcoming Where The Wild Things Are adaptation.

I hope WTWTA will be as good as I'm wishing it to be. Spike Jonze is a fantastic director.

Which leads to...

Sam Mendes' "Revolutionary Road." I liked the acting and camera work/cinematography, but damn that movie is depressing. It starts out that way and never lets up. Sam Mendes sure loves depressed, angry, and hopeless suburbanites.

Yeah, I actually just watched RR the other day. It was pretty depressing. From what I've heard, Away We Go balances that out with sincerely funny moments.

Which leads to...

Yeah, I actually just watched RR the other day. It was pretty depressing. From what I've heard, Away We Go balances that out with sincerely funny moments.

I was going to see "Away We Go" but I never found the time. Only one theater in my area had it, but it was only for a week or two. I'd certainly like to see a comedy from a director who features a lot of depressing story lines.

Soon to be watched: "Little Dieter Needs to Fly"

I thought "Rescue Dawn" was really well done and I want to know more of the actual story.

Just watched A Room for Romeo Brass by Shane Meadows. I got into his films through This Is England, and have loved everything he's done. tom_fraj was kind enough to send me the DVD of Romeo Brass from the UK as it didn't have a US release. Pretty much all of Meadows' films center on the characters' normal-enough lives and how they can be disrupted and damaged by forces that the characters themselves invite upon themselves. The films are all somewhat haunting in this respect, but are able to mix in a sly sense of humor to take the edge off. There's one more film by him that I haven't seen, Somer's Town, and it's in my Save for Later Netflix queue. Can't wait.

Street Fighter: The Rise of Chun-Lei

Probably the worst movie I have ever seen. Ever. The first fight scene is hilarious, but the rest of the movie is an example of how not to make a movie. They flashback to things that happened less than a minute ago and don't explain who some characters are and why the fuck they are even in the film. On top of that the movie jumps from Chun Lei's childhood to her adulthood within five seconds with no segue. Also, whenever Bison (the villain) appears on screen they include the sound of a tiger roaring.

Granted the only reason I watched this was because I was at a friends house and he told me he just downloaded the "worst movie ever made."

Aside from the first fight scene the movie isn't even laughable, it's just frustrating.