Recently Watched Thread

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I woke up and sat on the couch and watched the Tyson documentary. It was pretty interesting. Dude seems like a really nice guy, just not too bright. After that I watched Interview With A Vampire, which was good, but not great. Kirstin Dunst was a really good child actress. Who knew?

Guest naytoid

I had the day off, so I watched some movies.

The Machinist: Enjoyable movie, Bale was good, but it was very obvious.

Planet of The Apes (Burton Version): I haven't seen the original, but this was okay.

Ghostbusters: Classic.

Mallrats: It's still one of my favourites.

I actually added The Cove to my cue yesterday. Looks intense! Also, if you aren't down with reading subtitles, you are a lazy piece of shit.

i'm the only one in my house who wants to watch foreign/subtitled movies. apparently everyone else in my family is of the mentality that if it's not in english, it's not worth watching.

the cove is really really eye opening. my family scoffs when i rent documentaries and foreign movies, but they admitted that this one was good. actually, my mom had to leave halfway through because she couldn't stand to watch it anymore, it was that moving. not gonna lie; i almost cried several times.

Guest eriathomas

I am finally watching all of Wolf's Rain, after seeing the first few episodes fansubbed when it first aired in 03. I have also had District 9 for like a week from netflix, so I need to get on that.

Guest eriathomas

I'm only on like the 5th episode, but it's keeping my interest with quite a bit of action so far. I don't remember how far I made it last time I watched it, or why I stopped. Anything with music by Yoko Kanno can't be bad.

I absolutely loved District 9. I saw it twice in theaters.

I just got home from seeing The Fantastic Mr. Fox. I don't know why it's taken me so long to actually go see it! It was great, as expected. One thing I did think was strange was his framing throughout the movie. For many, many scenes the upper 2/3s of the frame were basically dead space, leaving the bottom 1/3 for character movement. I can't think of another movie that does the same thing.

I watched The Cove this morning. Damn it was an intense doc. Makes me wish I had the cash to donate to the cause. It also makes me wish I went ahead and took my scuba diving test to get my license.

I just finished Phoebe In Wonderland. It was way better than I expected, but I'm a sucker for a really good child actor. I hope to see many more great movies for the littler Fanning girl.

• 4 weeks later...

I've started to try to watch one movie a night.

In the last couple weeks:

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs - This was way better than expected and also incredibly pretty. Very funny flick. Mr. T rules in it.

Lost Season 1 - I'm way late, but this show lives up to the hype.

Moonlight Mile - Dustin Hoffman and Jake Gyllenhaal when they were both a bit younger. Pretty awkward movie, but in a good way.

(500) Days of Summer - This wasn't as good as I had hoped.

The Hurt Locker - Really well done slow going modern war movie about a bomb disarming team. I can't think of the leads name, but he was great in this. It reminded me a lot of Jarhead, though I liked Jarhead better.

Julie & Julia - I love Meryl Streep. She is great in every movie she's in, this one included.

Zombieland - Absolutely loved it. My only complaint is that the younger dude is a Michael Cera ripoff, which works great for this movie.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Watching it right now. I've been meaning to see that for a while.

Later tonight is Body of Lies!

• 3 weeks later...

I just watched Precious. It was absolutely hilarious. Like how she named her daughter Mongoloid because she had down syndrome. Or when Precious brought her baby boy home and gave it to her mom and her mom just threw it into a chair and threw a pot at her head and screamed, "YOU BITCH!" and then later tries to drop a tv on her and her baby. Funniest movie of 2009.

• 2 months later...

Thread resurrection.

I've watched some great movies this week.

Synecdoche, New York - Charlie Kaufman is a damn genius. I can't wait to watch it again. Too bad it's fucking $30 for the blu-ray.

Antichrist - Pretty fucked up, but insanely well acted and shot movie.

The Godfather - A classic that for some reason I just watched for the first time. The opening scene was my favorite.

The White Ribbon - A little too long, but wow, the overall feeling and authenticity of the time period (in both setting and technical look of the film) were very intense and well done.

Crazy Heart - Pretty straight forward story, but Jeff Bridges was awesome.

Anyone else watch anything good this week?

I just bought The Seventh Seal. I'm stoked to watch it.

synecdoche, NY is an amazing movie. i find it hard to rewatch though. it's like i want to because it was so good, but its so depressing.

has anyone seen MOON? thats one of my current favorites. classic sci-fi in the vein of 2001 space odyssey. feels a lot like an aronofsky film and it has an amazing score by clint mansell. everyone i've showed it to really liked it.