"Overpriced vinyl reissues: scam or boon?"

It's interesting I was noticing this the other day. The other thing I've noticed is that more artists are releaseing "Limited" pressings that are less limited than older records. For example it was (until the reissue) near impossible to find A Perfect Circles "Mar De nourms" (Or whatever it's called) but you could find the "Special Limited" version of "Imagine" anywhere. As vinyl grows I'm noticing "limited" means more records.

the main problem is that they're making 180 gram re-issues of dollar bin records.

There's no need for Supertramp(for example) records to be re-released as 180 gram copies that have a $25+ cost in stores...I love Supertramp, but I also don't need to spend more than $5-$8 per record for anything in their back catalog...the same goes for any classic rock LP you may want to track down.

the main problem is that they're making 180 gram re-issues of dollar bin records.

There's no need for Supertramp(for example) records to be re-released as 180 gram copies that have a $25+ cost in stores...I love Supertramp, but I also don't need to spend more than $5-$8 per record for anything in their back catalog...the same goes for any classic rock LP you may want to track down.

I duno, I'd love to have a well done and affordable reissue of Led Zeppelin IV. All the copies I run across used are beat up

I duno, I'd love to have a well done and affordable reissue of Led Zeppelin IV. All the copies I run across used are beat up

true, but I'd rather pay $8 for a copy rather than $30, You can find a non-beat up copy of Led Zeppelin records, they're still very common...

for real, i couldnt imagine spending so much for the re-release of an album that there are so many originals of that they dont even sell for 99 cents on ebay.

Anything "from the capital vault" is way to high.

no way. i bought all the radiohead and all the coldplay albums (EMI original import pressings) for $50 each (minimum) and then a year later, they all get rereleased for about $25 each. $25 for the X&Y box set or ok computer (or any readiohead record for that matter) is not a bad deal at all.

I fucking hate the "classic" re-issues with a passion. especially with a price tag that floats anywhere from $25 - $100 for an album that I have previously purchased sometimes for as little as $1. the only good thing will be scoring one of these 180g albums in a clearance bin in the near future

without reading the article, scam that will eventually lead to them flodding the market with overpriced records which will kill the rise in it's popularity.

Not only will it kill the rise in popularity, it seems to also have an effect on some smaller indie labels... vinyl used to be "our thing" and getting LPs into mom and pops was pretty easy... now we have to compete with the fucking Beatles and Pink Floyd for shelf space... cool.

without reading the article, scam that will eventually lead to them flodding the market with overpriced records which will kill the rise in it's popularity.

Not only will it kill the rise in popularity, it seems to also have an effect on some smaller indie labels... vinyl used to be "our thing" and getting LPs into mom and pops was pretty easy... now we have to compete with the fucking Beatles and Pink Floyd for shelf space... cool.

"our thing"???

and whats wrong with the Beatles or Pink Floyd and what makes you think mom and pops will only want to carry huge bands from the 70s???

Personally, I think a rise in vinyl popularity wont do anything but help small labels.

"our thing"???

and whats wrong with the Beatles or Pink Floyd and what makes you think mom and pops will only want to carry huge bands from the 70s???

Personally, I think a rise in vinyl popularity wont do anything but help small labels.

Well, what makes me say that is the experience of getting fewer copies of records into stores that 2 - 3 years ago took way more, while at the same time expanding their vinyl section, and being told that they don't have it in their budget because of all of the rock reissues...

We do sell far more vinyl now directly than years past, and more in places that we didn't before (Hot Topic) but we have definitely seen numbers drop in other stores that used to be very strong. And, obviously, things like Vinyl Collective are just amazing. But I am speaking on a specific aspect of this new rise in vinyl popularity, and a strange side effect of it.

EDIT: And "our thing" was in quotes intentionally, moderately tongue in cheek, as a few years back, major label releases were not released on vinyl, we all know this... So my records didn't have to "compete" for rack space with the new Bruce Springsteen LP (or whatever)

for me, that's part of the lure of classic rock albums, holding a piece of rock history in your hands, and listening to the record, knowing that it has been spun on someone's turntable while led zeppelin were still making music is just awesome imo

I agree with the article that it is a rip off to be reissuing dime a dozen album and trying to sell them for $30 each. No one needs to pay more than $0.50 for Frampton Comes Alive...

Some of the reissues are nice, especially when they are true to the original art. Like the Velvet Underground that has a peelable banana. But still, it's in stereo instead of mono, which means that it's a gimmick anyway.

But in the case with many records from the 60's and 70's, the playback equipment sucked and would destroy the grooves in records that were completely cared for. In this instance it's nice to be able to own a copy that no one else's crappy set up has destroyed. On the other hand, if it's some shitty pressing from a source other than the master, then it's a real rip off. And if it goes through digital processing, then it's a joke. And if it's another shitty stereo copy of something recorded in mono, well, you might as well just buy the CD.

And in some cases, especially in the 80's, mastering vinyl was done cheap and poorly. This is one of the reasons that UK pressings are more sought after. The quality control and care that went into them was tenfold compared to the US counterpart. The UK did DMM when no one in the US did. So for some of those pressings I can see a high quality reissue being relevant (Devo's Freedom of Choice could use a reissue, every copy I have is muddy, but this falls into the dollar bin category, I'd still buy it though). But also, like the article says, for most you would need a decent set up to even be able to notice the difference. This is one of the reasons why the MFSL pressings are really sought after by audiophiles. In this instance I can see it being worth the price, but only to audiophiles and/or collectors.

The very worst part of them is that they're driving down the value of my original pressings that I've spent nearly 15 years collecting. But it is nice when I can get a copy of The Downward Spiral for less than $100.

I think that most of these reissues, specifically the Capitol ones, are mostly an overpriced gimmick, designed to lure in new collectors.

Very much agreed!

The format is bastardized now. The new group of record collectors consist mainly of "hipsters" and shit as well. The respect for the format is being lost and oversaturated.

I used to be a very avid collector/enthusiast, I have pretty much lost faith in it now, with E bay dicks overcharging for stuff, to asshole traders, sellers, buyers etc.

I almost wish sometimes that this supposed "vinyl boom" never happened. It seemed a lot more "pure" when actual effort and dedication was involved, and there always seemed to be a sense of solidarity among collectors.

To me it seems like the trend is already slowing. With the economy, I have noticed independents are slowing down vinyl production, and the novelty of the whole thing is wearing off for the trendy, hipster kids.

Maybe I'm just jaded, or bah humbug, or deppressed? But it seems like the culture sucks today.

I wish the 80's were here :( :'(