how you guy get your test press ?

except bid from ebay and joy test press contest of vinyl collective,please share your experience about test press hunting.

and it's pretty good if you can tell what's album test press which you get by that method.

if you don't think your process to hunt it/'em isn't a secret.

thanks in advance....

:)

p.s. i think picture of it/'em is need (if you can post it,pal).

I've only ever owned two; I had a test press of Planes Mistaken For Stars' Up In Them Guts that was given to me 3 1/2 years ago by a friend at No Idea Records (which I recently sold to someone on the board, actually), and then more recently, Flood gifted me a Bomb The Music Industry! Goodbye Cool World rejected test press (the same kind as the one he recently sold on eBay) when I stayed at his house over New Years with my girlfriend. It was incredibly generous on his part (thanks, dude!).

i got my Old Man Gloom - Christmas test press by waking up early one christmas day a few years back and refreshing the hydrahead shop constantly for several hours before they finally put them up. limited to 50, hand numbered and personalized with my name. also came with a cool t-shirt that barely fits me anymore [so my girlfriend stole it, of course]. its glorious

the band

ex-members of the band

d' you mean contact the band (via internet) directly and ask 'em for buy ?

or you know someone on the band before ?

record swaps

what is record swaps ?

i won a test from a band member on ebay, and got in contact with them through that way. i asked about the other tests and they directed me to their old drummer, who was willing to sell his tests.

record swaps are like record fairs, but smaller. the one i went to was at 924 gilman st in berkeley.

here's a question: for folks that contact the label without them being explicitly for sale in a store or something, do you make an offer or just ask them what it would take to get ahold of one?

i generally just ask first if they have any and that i'd LOVE to have one. make sure they know how much you love the record. if they tell me that they do, i usually respond with a price, but also say something along the lines of "if this price is less than you are willing to sell it for, would you mind giving me an idea of the price range you were expecting?" usually it's not too unreasonable unless it's rivalry. or, i just IM flood and say "i need a test of this, kthxbye qtpie"

add a method to my list:

email band and tell them you'd like a test, have them be so flattered that you're collecting that they give you a test of their best lp for free.