Re-presses: good or bad to value of originals?

jhulud

I am throwing this out there in light of recent represses (or announcements thereof) of records that people have been looking for. Examples of this that come to mind are:

Brand New - Deja Entendu

Minus The Bear - Highly Refined Pirates

Converge - Jane Doe

And all the countless No Idea releases of course

I just recently did a search on eBay for Jane Doe and there are already four being listed. So this makes me wonder if a repress of a record does really add that much more value to the original/first press of that record.

Humor me and voice your thoughts.

Go!

Well there's two sides to it.

1) If there are 100 first press, and 200 second press, going by percentages it's a good thing. As before the second press, if you were buying a copy you had a 100% chance of getting first press, where as after, there is only a 33% chance of getting one, so it definitely become more rare. Thus pushing the price up.

However!

2) If there is only 100 copies and someone just wants a copy, but doesn't care about pressing/colour/anything, they wouldn't be willing to spend the extra money for a first press if they know they can go to the store and buy a second press for $13.

So to collectors, it's worth more, but to people who just want the record, it's a good thing.

i used to think it didnt matter, but now im starting to believe that represses actually lower the value of original pressings. i recently bought isis - celestial on red/brown marble for $25 bucks. before the recent gatefold repress i would not have been able to get that for any less that $60-80. and im noticing this with a lot more records, recently. just an observation.

Guest nickman
it gets the music into the hands of more people and drives away the eBay scalpers. works for me.

...as well as giving the label more money so they can continue to release records by bands you like.

Well, obviously it affects the value of the original. I'm not exactly against represses but sometimes they do get out of hand. Why do they need to repress a record 40+ times in different colors? I think that's a little too much.

I know most people who visit this forum are here for the music but there is a demographic that is into records for their limited pressing. One thing that turned me towards getting vinyl over CDs is the fact that I'm getting a limited item that not everyone can have.

Well, obviously it affects the value of the original. I'm not exactly against represses but sometimes they do get out of hand. Why do they need to repress a record 40+ times in different colors? I think that's a little too much.

I know most people who visit this forum are here for the music but there is a demographic that is into records for their limited pressing. One thing that turned me towards getting vinyl over CDs is the fact that I'm getting a limited item that not everyone can have.

It's still limited compared to CD's or any other format.

It depends on the band. If by repress you mean a 300 copy bootleg of an obscure punk record from 1981, then I think it tends to create or keep people interested in that record and often makes a record worth more money.

If you're talking about represses like Robotic Empire keeping all the Isis stiff in constant print, then no, that hurts.

re-issues don't matter to me. i have 104 different coalesce records, some re-issues, but they are my favorite band of all time so they can keep putting them out and i'll keep buying them. it all depends on much you care about vinyl and/or the band to me. i don't think it effects value you though. all of us on this site are vinyl geeks and most of us are collectors and i know that a re-issue doesn't matter to most of us. if we love a band as much as we say we do, we will buy everything.

I personally feel if your intrested in a record for the value...hunt down a test press. But for me, a repress means I can own and listen to a record I otherwise wouldn't have picked up due to its price. I'm all for them and hope some of my fav. Records get repressed(jawbreaker, jimmy & brandnew I'm calling you out!).