Test Press history on ebay

Does anyone besides me ask the seller the history of how they obtained a test press before bidding on it? I don't know. The way shit is these days with dups, I'm real nervous about someone snaking me. I mean it's not really a sure thing, getting the history, but I think it helps a little to decide on what your max is. Thoughts?

That's why numbered test press covers are the best - all my Votolato tests I bought from Dan at Second Nature knowing they were the real deal. You also get the sense of more directly helping fund more releases from your (favorite) artist/band (which might be false but at least it feels that way).

All test press are the same. Black records white labels

Not true. I have some Screeching Weasel tests with Erika Records labels that are yellow. And I think some tests are on colored vinyl (Unfun, for example)

Also, I don't ask where they seller got it. If you do a little research or have general knowledge of test pressings you should be ok.

my Shot Baker / Vacation Bible School test pressings were on purple vinyl.

my friend Scott has the Op Ivy 'Energy' Test Pressing on clear green vinyl.

usually they're on black vinyl, or sometimes white, as both of those, I'm told, are virgin vinyl and are supposed to sound better.(not trying to stoke the "white vinyl sounds bad discussion/argument/whatever", just what I've been told)

the original alkaline trio - maybe i'll catch fire test presses (of which there were 4) had the same orange labels as the actual records that were released to the public. i cannot believe people haven't tried selling their black vinyl/orange label copy off as a test press and make serious bank on a lie.

that's why i'll never bid on one of those on eBay unless i know the person selling it is legit.

the original alkaline trio - maybe i'll catch fire test presses (of which there were 4) had the same orange labels as the actual records that were released to the public. i cannot believe people haven't tried selling their black vinyl/orange label copy off as a test press and make serious bank on a lie.

that's why i'll never bid on one of those on eBay unless i know the person selling it is legit.

That could by why Mike Park includes a certificate of authenticity with every test press from Asian Man.

So is there actually any difference or are they exactly the same as the regular press?

"That could by why Mike Park includes a certificate of authenticity with every test press from Asian Man. "

yeah, and those would be SOOOO hard to forge if somebody really wanted to.

"So is there actually any difference or are they exactly the same as the regular press? "

not that i'm aware of, but i don't own one. maybe there's something special in the matrix etchings? i'm not sure, but i don't think so.

my Shot Baker / Vacation Bible School test pressings were on purple vinyl.

my friend Scott has the Op Ivy 'Energy' Test Pressing on clear green vinyl.

usually they're on black vinyl, or sometimes white, as both of those, I'm told, are virgin vinyl and are supposed to sound better.(not trying to stoke the "white vinyl sounds bad discussion/argument/whatever", just what I've been told)

yeah there was a number of lookout tests on colored vinyl. there is also a rancid 7" test on clear blue

you're usually safe.

1) there is a seriously limited # of places able to press records in the world

2) to make bootleg test presses it would run you a couple hundred dollars to make the plates and get them pressed... and most places mark the matrixes with some sort of traceable information..

3) if you were going to bother bootlegging something, it would probably not be something small to be worth it... and since the vinyl collecting community is relatively small and organized.. it would be sniffed out pretty quickly..

you're usually safe.

1) there is a seriously limited # of places able to press records in the world

2) to make bootleg test presses it would run you a couple hundred dollars to make the plates and get them pressed... and most places mark the matrixes with some sort of traceable information..

3) if you were going to bother bootlegging something, it would probably not be something small to be worth it... and since the vinyl collecting community is relatively small and organized.. it would be sniffed out pretty quickly..

Damn you and your logic.

That's why numbered test press covers are the best - all my Votolato tests I bought from Dan at Second Nature knowing they were the real deal. You also get the sense of more directly helping fund more releases from your (favorite) artist/band (which might be false but at least it feels that way).

As a dude who runs a label, and has a constantly growing list of dudes emailing me to buy test presses, I thank you for your understanding of why things like this happen.

Everything helps, and trust me, it's appreciated, and doesn't go towards buying gold plated toilets or anything stupid!

;D

As a dude who runs a label, and has a constantly growing list of dudes emailing me to buy test presses, I thank you for your understanding of why things like this happen.

Everything helps, and trust me, it's appreciated, and doesn't go towards buying gold plated toilets or anything stupid!

;D

a gold plated cushy toilet seat would be nice.

did you ever get a lewd acts 7" test or would that be something youd be into?

TOP SECRET

i think Frank just bought the Alkaline Trio - Goddamnit Redux test press from him. his eBay name is like mattsauctions77 right? or something like that?

when frank gets his record, you can ask him if it's legit or not. i think he knows the difference between a real and a fake Asian Man test...

nah, mattsauctions77 is another guy. The guy with all the TPs has the username mattsvinyl...

I also did some research on the GD test mattsauctions77 was selling. It was copy #10 and he won that a couple of weeks ago for $108 on ebay when wardogs was selling all the tests for Asian Man. So it´s legit.