Getting wisdom teeth pulled disapreesh (and ?s)

casey

So I've been putting off having my wisdom teeth pulled for several months. They hadn't given me any trouble until a couple weeks ago when one developed a cavity and pieces started breaking off. Today, a big chunk broke off and left the nerves exposed. It fucking hurts. Couple of questions--how bad does it hurt to get them pulled (during and after)? What is the benefit of getting nitrous first? Also, I can't take opiate-based painkillers, so how much is that going to suck? I'm just wondering what I'm in for. Thanks for your help.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the surgery is not bad. get IV though, not nitrous. its more expensive, but worth it.

after surgery, you have to put gauze pads in your mouth which sucks. you will probably want lots of sleep. you dont really need painkillers (i took them anyways) because it is more uncomfortable than painful. the first day after the surgery you will get blood everywhere. i was talking to my mom and spit blood on her.

Take some Advil once you can swallow but before it stars to hurt. Sleep with a towel or towels on your pillow in case you bleed on it as you most likely will. Stay away from extreme hot and cold along with straws. I'd go out and buy some chicken, vegetable, or beef broth instead of attempting to eat solid foods. And definitely do the gargling with the salty warm water they tell you to. It works.

They have been trying to get me to get mine out, but for no reason. It ain't happening.

I would have kept putting this off indefinitely if the little fuckers didn't start falling out on their own. The bottom ones, though, are impacted and I'll die before I get those out. Even with my insurance, the bottom ones will be $1200.

They have been trying to get me to get mine out, but for no reason. It ain't happening.

I would have kept putting this off indefinitely if the little fuckers didn't start falling out on their own. The bottom ones, though, are impacted and I'll die before I get those out. Even with my insurance, the bottom ones will be $1200.

Dental insurance is so worthless

wow, I can't believe how bad everyone's experiences were!

I had nitrous, fell asleep and when I woke it was done. very little pain and none of the seemingly common "blood everywhere" tales. I didn't have to use a syringe either, so I'm not sure what that was about.

Of course you're sore for a few days afterwards, but the pain was tolerable.

I give it 3 1/2 stars (out of 5).

I swelled up pretty bad after mine, and right after the surgery they gave me a pint of Cold Stone Creamery ice cream. All that did was piss me off; I was completely numb, totally still tripping from the nitrous (David After Dentist style), and unable to taste a damn thing, and they give me this delicious ice cream.

i only had 3, but when they took them out i was in a loooot of pain for a couple days.

my face was black and blue from right under my eye sockets down to my jaw and i was so swollen my skin was stretched to the point that it was shiny and i looked like a black and blue chipmunk.

i couldnt open my mouth far enough to eat normally for a couple weeks.

it sort of sucked a lot, lol.

I've been putting this off for four or five years. I just make sure I brush them a whole hell of a lot and keep them clean until I actually decided to commit to it.

I thought I was gonna need to get them out last January (08), and I found out I had 14 cavities. Those were more important to take care of first, so I got those filled, and haven't been back since.

dont be a pussy and go straight up novacaine..... :P

when i got mine pulled they put the nitrous on and i couldnt take it. i thought my heart was gonna pop and i was getting sick so i just went witht the novacaine.

i didnt swell up at all.........just bled like a mother fucker. i think i might still have the pills they gave me.