anyone own original album art?

mclz

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least one of the Hot Water Music LPs by Sinc was on eBay many years ago. This was before HWM was even half as popular as they are now. It didn't sell for much, considering what it would probably go for these days.

Can you corroborate this? Which record?

Well, I got into HWM in 2000 so I'd say this was on eBay approx. 2000-2001. I wasn't apeshit over the band immediately, I slowly picked up their releases. I remember thinking it was cool and may have even thrown a small bid on it but I didn't pursue it seriously. I don't think it sold for more than $200, if that.

I can't say for certain that it was the front cover of an LP but I do believe it was from some part of a HWM LP. In any case, it was most definitely original Sinc art and I am also pretty sure it was his eBay account that he was selling from himself.

I'll look at my albums tonight and see if I can find a pic that looks most like what I remember in my head.

That Jawbreaker stuff isn't original art...its just proofs. Stuff that's made digitally hardly counts as "original" art. That shit has to be HANDMADE.

That stuff is looks like it was actually pre-digital and was hand-composited using stat cameras, masks, and negatives. And exacto knives.

Can you corroborate this? Which record?

Well, I got into HWM in 2000 so I'd say this was on eBay approx. 2000-2001. I wasn't apeshit over the band immediately, I slowly picked up their releases. I remember thinking it was cool and may have even thrown a small bid on it but I didn't pursue it seriously. I don't think it sold for more than $200, if that.

I can't say for certain that it was the front cover of an LP but I do believe it was from some part of a HWM LP. In any case, it was most definitely original Sinc art and I am also pretty sure it was his eBay account that he was selling from himself.

I'll look at my albums tonight and see if I can find a pic that looks most like what I remember in my head.

He also made giclee (sp?) prints of some of his art t some point. Not sure if that was LP art or other originals. I think all the LP related art ended up going to related peoples, band, label, etc. There were "eras" with similar themes, so it could have been that too. Other than that, I have no clue. He's busy creating video games these days.

Here's the thing though...if you're gonna buy published "famous" artwork that's what you're gonna pay.

Sometime in the next few years I'm going to start setting aside money to buy an Alex Ross original painting...and his sketched go for $300+ and his comic pages usually run minimum $1000 with no recognizable characters... so realistically it's gonna cost about $3-5,000.00 but I'll be excited when I find the right piece.

Who's the guy who did the Gunmoll cover below?

[image]

I'm pretty sure I bought some records off him in the 90's and he drew a guy on the back of the mailer of a guy holding records. It was really cool, and I held on to it for a while, but I've long since lost it. When this record came out I thought, "That looks familiar".

He also made giclee (sp?) prints of some of his art t some point. Not sure if that was LP art or other originals. I think all the LP related art ended up going to related peoples, band, label, etc. There were "eras" with similar themes, so it could have been that too. Other than that, I have no clue. He's busy creating video games these days.

i remember when he used to have giclee prints for sale on his website. i wanted one so bad and never had the money. i really hope he gets his site up and sells more now that i have a job. i would love to have any of his work, but all the pieces he did for caution are my favorites.

Who's the guy who did the Gunmoll cover below?

[image]

I'm pretty sure I bought some records off him in the 90's and he drew a guy on the back of the mailer of a guy holding records. It was really cool, and I held on to it for a while, but I've long since lost it. When this record came out I thought, "That looks familiar".

its the same guy that does all of mike hales current artwork i think. i remember hearing that hes related to sinc, but i have no idea if thats true. im sure someone who has worked with him can tell you.

I have some of the original art for Pissed Jeans - Shallow. I have the original of this Drive-By Truckers poster which is very rare because Wes Freed only sold DBT related pieces once and it was only two pieces:

[image]

It's in a really cool frame.

I also have original art for For Science - Tomorrow's Just Another Day, Way Out Of Control, and Revenge For Hire.

I think I have some other kinda stupid stuff too and some original photographs used in layouts but I'm drawing a blank.

The only thing I paid for was the DBT art

i really want a sam kieth piece.. theres one on ebay really cheap right now... but its not a very exciting piece, and hardly a good example of his work

Here's the thing though...if you're gonna buy published "famous" artwork that's what you're gonna pay.

Sometime in the next few years I'm going to start setting aside money to buy an Alex Ross original painting...and his sketched go for $300+ and his comic pages usually run minimum $1000 with no recognizable characters... so realistically it's gonna cost about $3-5,000.00 but I'll be excited when I find the right piece.

Sometime in the next few years I'm going to start setting aside money to buy an Alex Ross original painting...and his sketches go for $300+ and his comic pages usually run minimum $1000 with no recognizable characters... so realistically it's gonna cost about $3-5,000.00 but I'll be excited when I find the right piece.

i really want a sam kieth piece.. theres one on ebay really cheap right now... but its not a very exciting piece, and hardly a good example of his work

fixed. Sam Keith is either ungodly amazing or terrible...but when he's on...fuck...no one should ever attempt to draw that character again...

collecting no idea records stuffs is exciting game.

i will when i have more salary because i can't imagine how much i have to pay ship and tax for 4-5 pressing times records.

vardcore, will you press more on any pmfs ?

:)

We have a re-press of "FWF" on right now. This time it has an inner pocket sleeve too (same info as the previous insert).

I have a piece of original art by the same artist (Sean Mahan) that painted the cover for "Up in them Guts". This piece I speak of is light blue and was used as the front cover for another band's record that will remain nameless (and that I will not acknowledge, but it is NOT North Lincoln or Twelve Hour Turn). This art was originally intended for a Small Brown Bike / Twelve Hour Turn split 10" that fell through, leading to its use for another band's record. I'd certainly sell that for the right offer. For real.