worst vinyl experience

We've all had one, weather it be an eBay rip off or a flood. Post your worst record nightmare....

A few months ago i moved into a new apartment and got a new entertainment center. I decided to put my record player on a low shelf in it and while I was listening to my NOFX- The Decline on clear wax, my cat jumped onto the turntable, ruined the record with her claws and broke the arm of the player.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've all had one, weather it be an eBay rip off or a flood. Post your worst record nightmare....

A few months ago i moved into a new apartment and got a new entertainment center. I decided to put my record player on a low shelf in it and while I was listening to my NOFX- The Decline on clear wax, my cat jumped onto the turntable, ruined the record with her claws and broke the arm of the player.

god, a clear decline? i am so sorry....

^^ Damn

I have two that come to mind:

- Years and years ago I traded a gold copy of Get Up Kids FMM and the guy never sent his record out. I don't even recall what I traded for. Ever since I had been hating myself for being stupid about it. Only until very recently was I able to replace that record...and in even better shape than I originally had it.

- Getting a record that is claimed to be in perfect shape with no flaws to only show up scuffed up and with evident scratches. And then the seller say that it can't be because they record had been in the jacket and never played for two years.

i bought a xboundx test pressing (jay shevchuk's band pre-kid dynamite) with a none more black s/t 7" for $90 and both were slightly warped. the test pressing was pretty dirty and had some surface marks. the guy who sold it to me (who was in xboundx and nmb for a very brief while) told me he'd send me some extra stuff. but he never did.

There was a time when I didn't have a stereo that had a phono-in and thus I had no turntable. At that same time I was more interested in buying guitar gear than my record collection, so I sold a lot of it off. One of the records was the Fix "Cold Days" discography LP. Years later I had plenty of guitar gear, so I bought a vintage tube stereo and awesome turntable started putting back together my dismantled record collection. For the longest time (a few years) I couldn't find anyone selling that record (for a reasonable price). I had friends that had it (including the one I sold mine to), but they wouldn't sell it to me.

Anyway... I finally get the record. I get home, excited. Put it on my record player, listened to it, thought "Fuck yeah!", and listened to more records. Well, like a retard I didn't consider how hot my stereo gets (tubes get REALLY hot) and had placed it in the white sleeve on the top of it. About 20 minutes into listening to other records I realize this, think "FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and pick the record. It's so melted that as I lift it off the stereo it falls into a 90 degree angle. I almost cried. The worst warp in the history of warps.

I ended up getting another copy from another friend (who wanted the warped record in part of the trade, oddly enough), and of course Touch And Go reissued the Fix stuff a few years ago so all the heartbreak was for nothing, but it still hurts to think about.