worst vinyl experience

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest genericinsight

- The first time I ever ordered vinyl from a mailorder company (in 1997), they literally took TEN MONTHS to mail the records to me. I was convinced they were never coming so I ended up just buying the records I had ordered, so I was stuck with doubles when they finally came (though I eventually got rid of the doubles). Was a little off-putting for my first ever vinyl mailorder and I was almost afraid to do it again.

- Gotten ripped off twice:

* once a few years ago on eBay, paid money through PayPal for the auction I won for the Jimmy Eat World/Jebidiah split double 7". Girl who sold it to me left me positive feedback but I never got the record; she never replied to the emails I sent about it.

* Other time was when I sent this guy who was selling two copies (via a local scene message board) of the s/t LP by the band The Break (both colored); sent him a money order for $30 and never got the records. He also never replied to emails I sent him about it. This was rectified though because a few months later at one of the band's shows, I told them the story and asked them personally if they had any copies left I could buy - they not only had copies of both colors but they felt bad that I got ripped off so they gave me both LP's for free. That was really cool of them.

I bought Planes Mistaken For Stars Up In Them Guts from the band recently, only to have it scratched all to shit when I took it out. The band were out so No Idea took care of that for me.

My Weakerthans Reconstruction Site is currently fucking filthy as hell. I had left my record player uncovered for ONE NIGHT and went to play it - all the dust and shit from construction had already accumulated, as well as a healthy dose of cat hair. I feel so stupid for that one, but at least it's a matter of just cleaning it good.

Texas Is The Reason Do You Know Who You Are? repress is very fucking visibly fucked. I guess I should email someone about that. Angrily.

Spent a healthy chunk of change on a Planes Mistaken For Stars test press and it arrived with a hand screened and very torn cover. Kind of a bummer I guess.

I've told this story before but I had pre-ordered Set Your Goals-Mutiny on blue/purple with a screened print cover out of 100. I was told that it shipped waited three weeks and nothing. Emailed the guy at eulogy and he told me to wait awhile longer. Another two weeks go buy and still nothing. I emailed eulogy multiple times after that and never got any return emails. The guy just didn't care.

Spent a healthy chunk of change on a Planes Mistaken For Stars test press and it arrived with a hand screened and very torn cover. Kind of a bummer I guess.

This was completely my fault, and I still feel awful about it. From that point on, I've always taken the record out of the sleeve when mailing (I had never known about people doing that before that point).

This was completely my fault, and I still feel awful about it. From that point on, I've always taken the record out of the sleeve when mailing (I had never known about people doing that before that point).

we get it, you're an asshole.

hey, I'm just kiddin' - you're alright!

[image]

THIS STORY IS RATED MA FOR MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY (insert laughter here)

i got burned on a Coalesce "functioning on impatience" on orange ltd.48 copies. the bitch never sent it. it was october of 07' an ebay transaction. i opened a dispute and tried to contact her the whole time. never responded to emails or anything. she left me positive feedback, so the piratehooker got the money. ebay, like always, could give two shits about the good ebayers and told me my dispute was closed and her account would not be penalized. FUUUUCCCCKKKK!!!! she got $56.00 dollars from me. well, i contacted ebay again and they pretty much told me i was fucked because i used a money order. i then responded with an email saying"let me get this straight, i can ask everybody to pay with a money order and never send their records and my account won't be penalized. WOW! i should have done this sooner!"oh wait, i'm not a scum bag and i would never do that to someone. well, i was going to a show in nashville, DARKEST FUCKIN' HOUR, and took it upon myself to go get my record. i got there and a dude answered the door. he asked me who i was and i told him i am the guy your wife/girlfriend fucked. he said, "EXCUSE ME! WHAT DID YOU SAY?" i said "I'm the guy your girlfriend/wife fucked!" so he asks her to come to the door and she looked at me funny. she asked me who i was "I'M THE MOTHERFUCKING GUY YOU FUCKED OVER!" she knew exactly who i was then. so she tries to deny it up and down and says i'm crazy, which i may be, but only when it comes to vinyl, DON'T FUCK WITH ME OR MY RECORDS!EVER!, she continues to lie and she finally says, if she did rip me off, where's the proof. i then say BOOM BITCH!!! this is a transcript. i gave it to the boyfriend and he glanced at it and as he read further he saw the records she was selling. they were HIS records! he started glowing like the freakn' sun. "WHAT THE FFFFUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKK ARE YOU DOING!!!!????" i honestly thought he was going to hit her, but he didn't. i told him i want my record, midwestcavern's and zack8983's(coalesce fans and great ebayers, we take care of our own) records as well. i told them if i went down there i send their records to them, i keep my promises. the bf said there is no way i'm getting those records. i replied, "OK, this is what we are GOING TO DO!" either i take these records, you pay me for my record and the other two dudes records, which i said i would send to them if this went down, or YOUR FUCKING BLOOD! YOU CHOOSE! i'm not leaving empty handed. i pointed and said "she started this and it ends here right now!". so i left with all 3 refunds in full, plus gas money. i'm not proud of what i did in anyway at all, but she needed to learn that you don't fuck people over, ever!!! but i did get that color eventually. it came via sean ingram from COALESCE. he liked what i did. he told me, "YOU REALLY LOVE MY FUCKING BAND!!! FUCKIN' AWESOME!" so i am now working with him on the vinyl page at crashandbang.com it should be up in a couple weeks, when he has time. i am really sorry about the longevity of this story, but i thought i should share it. it's the worst that happened to me, but probably the best at the same time

having a copy of tursday - full collapse get lost in the recent postal strike here in the UK. BUMMER. luckily i managed to pick up another one (although not in the same shape as the one that i lost) a week later for a bit less. That record is still floating around somewhere in the royal mail blackhole.

the very first record i ever owned was michael jackson "thriller". i was 6 years old, so this was like 1985. i had the record for a total of about an hour, when my 2 year old brother took it out of the sleeve and broke it right in half. the horror on my face was unbelieveable. i still give him shit about it till this day. :)

Just remembered another one. The seller sent me the record in a bubble mailer...no cardboard or anything inside to protect the record. Just threw the record in a bubble mailer and sent it out...

[image]

[image]

Hahaha...I know the guy who sent that. Mark Daly/Confined Records and now of Carbon Copy Media....I can't believe he'd actually just send a record in a bubble mailer.

when i was in college, the mail lady crammed a package into my small little mailbox that had a cave in 7" in it. i was able to un-warp it but i still had to ak her at what point did you realize that you were bending something to get it in to the mailbox.

this same thing happened to me.. i was pissed. my mail box isnt even 7inches diagonal, its like 6.80 or something weird like that. it tookm e like 15 mins to easel it out. everything was okay, just the cover got a little bit bent on the edges.

Guest falloutcollapse
having a copy of tursday - full collapse get lost in the recent postal strike here in the UK. BUMMER. luckily i managed to pick up another one (although not in the same shape as the one that i lost) a week later for a bit less. That record is still floating around somewhere in the royal mail blackhole.

This makes me shudder :(

Just remembered another one. The seller sent me the record in a bubble mailer...no cardboard or anything inside to protect the record. Just threw the record in a bubble mailer and sent it out...

[image]

[image]

Hahaha...I know the guy who sent that. Mark Daly/Confined Records and now of Carbon Copy Media....I can't believe he'd actually just send a record in a bubble mailer.

That's funny. Every time I order a record and I see a bubble envelope on my doorstep I cringe...I recently got a 10" in one but it was sandwiched in cardboard and it was A-OK. So the seller definitely took care of making sure it got to me safely packaged.

When I was in first grade, I took my Adam Ant - Goody Two Shoes 7" to school. On the bus, I kneeled on my backpack when talking to the kid in the seat behind me and I broke the record. For some reason, I was scared to death that my dad was going to be pissed at me. (Not sure why I thought that, possibly because it was only the second or third record I ever owned and he obviously bought it for me.) I hid the fact that I broke it for a day or two and when it finally came to light, I'm pretty sure I started crying. He didn't get mad, he simply bought me a new copy. God bless the man, I love him to death.

I scored a copy of Lagwagon - Angry Days 7" on eBay back in 1999 and sent the Canadian seller a US money order, which he said was okay. Once he received it he said it wouldn't accept it as payment and refused to send the money order back. He kept the money order and the record. I cringe every time I see that record.

Once received a terribly abused copy of Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - In Your Barcalounger 7" on eBay. When I emailed the seller back about his misrepresentation of the record he simply replied "What did you except for a 5 dollar record?"

Bought a copy of MFATGG - Stevie 7" from a reputable trader and it had been shipped in a bubble mailer without cardboard. The cover was in pretty poor shape, but the seller was cool about it and refunded me a couple bucks.

Guest genericinsight
I scored a copy of Lagwagon - Angry Days 7" on eBay back in 1999 and sent the Canadian seller a US money order, which he said was okay. Once he received it he said it wouldn't accept it as payment and refused to send the money order back. He kept the money order and the record. I cringe every time I see that record.

that's fucked up. Granted it's hard for people outside the US to cash a US money order, but he shouldn't have told you it was fine and then gone back on his word. even more so that he refused to send it back and wouldn't let you fix it.

Shit. I must be lucky. I've had some things show up in a condition that was not stated in the description, but other than that I've been extremely lucky. Never got a broken record. Got a couple warped 7"s here and there and either flattened them out or got replacements from the label. Just recently, I bought a 7" on ebay that was listed as one band (the Infections), but when it arrived it was by the Injections. But the guy refunded me right away.

I've been pretty lucky and haven't had too many negative expriences. About 5 or 6 years ago I got ripped off on ebay for about $40 for The Bouncing Souls Ugly Bill 7" on green. Ebay didn't help at all and the guy never responded to emails. I still haven't found a decent copy of Ugly Bill on green with the insert.

Also, back in 8th grade when I was pretty new into the vinyl world I had found a copy of Rancid Lets Go double 10" gatefold on white. When I had gotten home from school I had found it poorly packaged(no bubblewrap, no cardboard support, nothing), sitting in a puddle in my driveway, not even on the stoop! The vinyl was fine but the jacket was soaked. I dried it off and let it sit for awhile and magically it turned out alright. Nobody would ever notice.

Recently I have caught my mailman throwing records to my door so I had to have a talk with him about that. I did it very politely so it wouldn't make the situation worse.

And finally, first post. Hello to all.