WTF happened to Modest Mouse?

I realize this is way old news, but how did the band go from one of the most musically and instrumentally interesting bands to "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank"? My God...

Listen to "Lonesome Crowded West" or "Moon And Antarctica" and compare it to their last two records. It's insane how creativity diminishes.

i thought that we were dead was great, the only album that blows by modest mouse is sad sappy sucker.

You're wrong. The first half of Sad Sappy Sucker is really good.

We Were Dead... isn't great, especially by Modest Mouse standards, but it's not the worst shit ever. I'd pick listening to it on the radio over Nickelback.

I don't mind Good News... or We Were Dead. While I still choose Moon & Antarctica and Lonesome Crowded West the majority of the time I'm in the mood to listen to Modest Mouse, I still think their most recent 2 albums are good.

And while they're admittedly somewhat of a departure from the earlier stuff, I don't find the difference quite as drastic as you do.

This is a Long Drive... is a great record. We were dead... is a great record. Also everything in between. Sad Sappy Sucker is a bunch of demos. I really enjoy how they've grown musically and I love the addition of Johnny Marr. I'm glad they didn't put out Lonesome Crowded West five times in a row. Dramamine is my favorite song by them, but listen to Parting of the Sensory or Spitting Venom and tell me they don't rock.

Guest drahtuos

i thought they were pretty good the one time i saw them live. the crowd was the let down, kept trying to mosh to modest mouse, who does that? stupid kids.

the way i feel about them is that each album is different, starting from the beginning. i came into the game pretty late (started listening just before good news, really got into them just after) but i dont feel like any of their records are bad. it sometimes bothers me when people talk about how they changed so much when they signed to a major, because every album has had a different sound. still, my favorite album is the moon... and my favorite songs are from long drive..., but i think all of their albums have been good.

^^Agreed. All of their albums have a different feel and emotion to them, and apparently they're all just a little happier than they were when they were younger. Bands get older, tastes change, it happens to every band ever. Pretty much any band that's been around more than 10 years is going to sound different at the beginning of their career than at the end. Making the same record over and over is boring and uncreative, and people need to experiment.

They sound pretty good on Baron Von Bullshit.

I almost went to that show, but I went to the one a couple nights before it in Tampa. The show was great.

As for albums, I like We Were Dead better than Good News. I think their last album has a strong Talking Heads influence, and they are one of my favorite bands. I still think Lonesome Crowded West and Moon & Antarctica are the best things they've done, but I don't want to hear the same album every time either.

Did they ever get good at playing live? All I've ever heard was, "They're great on record but their live show was a let down" and every time I've ever seen them on TV confirms this.

when i saw them last month, they played really well, despite the acoustics in the venue blowing ass (it was my school's fieldhouse, basically a big open hanger with a track in it) and Isaac's mike being retarded