Fest 8

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday:(only saw 2 bands due to flight getting in late)

7 Seconds (great as usual, dudes are twice the age of most bands and way, way more energetic)

Cutman (saw less than half the set as I had to wait for people to leave...fucking killed though)

Saturday

New Bruises (amazing, probably my favorite band right now)

Copyrights (sounded awesome with John on guitar)

the Measure (sa) (tied for best set of the Fest)

Lemuria (wasn'tr feeling the set list this year...wasn't sure if that was due to the backlined gear or the new bass player. Songs kinda were lacking punch a bit...)

Gunmoll (righteous. only saw them once years ago in Chicago and I think they were touring for the first album and never came back.)

the Knockdown (played the side stage at the Venue where no band ever sounds good, bummed it was their last show, they didn't play their best song which suuucccckked)

Tim Barry (holy. fucking. shit. Tim as usual, the highlight of any show he plays...so inspiring, so amazing listening to everyone shouting along, love watching the bouncer get like UN-NERVED at the reaction to those songs, he had no clue what was going on.)

Sunday

was at breakfast with Derron from Gunmoll/Cutman when he got the call to learn Samiam songs...that shit was funny.

Saw:

Olehole (fuckin a. great. love this band, glad people that actually see them are consistently stoked on em.)

Prize Country (cool Unsane meets Quicksand meets Helmet dude rock)

the Methadones (yeah were not talkative at all...Dan's voice was a little rough...come see them play in Chicago it's always nuts when they play here...limiting them to 40 minutes though isn't their thing they need an hour that gives Byrne his joke time and enough time to argue the set list on stage and Pete to hurt himself)

the Bomb (great set play Song for the Helenas from the new record, one of my new favorite songs ever...did a few Raygun songs which was cool because they just don't do those anymore)

the Thumbs (were good, but not my thing...people were stoked)

Tiltwheel (fucking awesome as usual, ended weird with Rockhill jumping off stage after that guy at the end.) still it was a weird ending.

it was also awesome hanging with Mike Controlthebleeding, Santiago (jimmythescumbag), Flood, Richard/Dante 3000(revealed an exclusive detail in my sound scene revolution interview about a future release), Aaron Danger, Eric OP & all the Houston kids as always. Though I didn't get to hang with Eric as much as I would have liked, but that seemed to be the running theme this year...shit, I met kevin...fuck there were so many board people baseball hotdog (ha, or whatever), never ran into Johnny Hormone though... i kinda talked to the sound study matt's, the Black Numbers dude.

somehow did not talk to Var again.

edit: and Barrie too for a bit at the Venue on Sunday too! goddamn, so overwhelmed.

Highlights include:

A black eye during The Menzingers set

A bump on my forehead from an elbow drop during Comadre's set

A cut under my right eye that occured sometime after finishing a Four Locco (before OP!!! set) and before the end of BTMI! set.

Also, I met a ton of people and due to hearing loss didn't catch all of their names and I had to pretend I understood or wait till I could make it out with context clues. I'm a dick.

Shook ones covering weezer was definately a fest highlight for me. Along with a killer new bruises set and seeing dead to me at the failsafe warehouse. Also, p.s. Eliot ruled.

haha thats awesome, what song did they cover

"Tired of Sex". It was nuts. I got video of it, not sure how good the quality is.

I have been hacking like a mother fucker the last 2 days from all the smokers at the fest. smokers are jokers

No kidding! After quitting for over a month, I drunkenly bought a pack of Lucky Strikes on Thursday night and smoked pretty much the entire pack by Saturday afternoon. I think I only gave like five cigarettes away.

Highlights include:

A cut under my right eye that occured sometime after finishing a Four Locco (before OP!!! set) and before the end of BTMI! set.

Also, I met a ton of people and due to hearing loss didn't catch all of their names and I had to pretend I understood or wait till I could make it out with context clues. I'm a dick.

Dante slapped me in the face during BTMI!'s set when I tried to give him a high five.

Highlights include:

i was there for the menzingers trying to hold down the mic stand from being eaten by the crowd. they ripped tom's shirt and he threw up.

then the human pyramids being formed during the Bangers and Calvinball on sunday at the venue side stage was crazy shit too.

also i better see pics go up for the panthro reunion because i dont remember the face of the girl i was grinding with. those pics will help a lot with the drunken memory haha

Highlights include:

Dante slapped me in the face during BTMI!'s set when I tried to give him a high five.

I don't remember this but I do believe it. That crowd was intense.

7 Seconds (great as usual, dudes are twice the age of most bands and way, way more energetic)

Cutman (saw less than half the set as I had to wait for people to leave...fucking killed though)

Saturday

Lemuria (wasn'tr feeling the set list this year...wasn't sure if that was due to the backlined gear or the new bass player. Songs kinda were lacking punch a bit...)

Gunmoll (righteous. only saw them once years ago in Chicago and I think they were touring for the first album and never came back.)

the Knockdown (played the side stage at the Venue where no band ever sounds good, bummed it was their last show, they didn't play their best song which suuucccckked)

Tim Barry (holy. fucking. shit. Tim as usual, the highlight of any show he plays...so inspiring, so amazing listening to everyone shouting along, love watching the bouncer get like UN-NERVED at the reaction to those songs, he had no clue what was going on.)

Sunday

was at breakfast with Derron from Gunmoll/Cutman when he got the call to learn Samiam songs...that shit was funny.

Saw:

Olehole (fuckin a. great. love this band, glad people that actually see them are consistently stoked on em.)

the Methadones (yeah were not talkative at all...Dan's voice was a little rough...come see them play in Chicago it's always nuts when they play here...limiting them to 40 minutes though isn't their thing they need an hour that gives Byrne his joke time and enough time to argue the set list on stage and Pete to hurt himself)

the Bomb (great set play Song for the Helenas from the new record, one of my new favorite songs ever...did a few Raygun songs which was cool because they just don't do those anymore)

Tiltwheel (fucking awesome as usual, ended weird with Rockhill jumping off stage after that guy at the end.) still it was a weird ending.

how was tiltwheels set? last fest they were real drunk and played whatever they could remember at the time (which was still great) but the first time i saw them it was almost all of hair brained scheme addicts which was great.

i saw samiam though, but i saw tiltwheel thursday night which ruled since they played 2:07 finally

Saturday

Sunday

Saw:

how was tiltwheels set? last fest they were real drunk and played whatever they could remember at the time (which was still great) but the first time i saw them it was almost all of hair brained scheme addicts which was great.

i saw samiam though, but i saw tiltwheel thursday night which ruled since they played 2:07 finally

they were fantastic right up until their last song when the owner of Common Grounds ran off the stage to throw the singer of Clairmel out...i think because he said something shitty...or was just being belligerent or something. I guess the dude has a chemical imbalance and was drunk and doing coke all weekend. after we left we saw Paddy D4 scolding him for being an asshole...so if Paddy is the voice of reason, then that sums up how out of line the guy was being.

what a ridiculous weekend.

highlites

- got to hang out with almost all of my favorite VC folks

- sold an assload of records

- met a shitload of people from the UK and got drunk with them

- watched the yankees game at gator dawgs

- was actually sober when i met Var this year

- along with heisel, kept the PA in one piece, and the stage from collapsing during BTMI

- rescued Holly from the fest staff from having to walk barefoot over broken glass at the end of the sunday night kickstand show

- the emotron performing what was quite possibly the craziest set ending montage i have ever personally witnessed.

- giving tim barry one of our avail parody coozies, and him laughing at it, and then asking if he could keep it

- the last 5 bands at the kickstand sunday.... one of the best shows i've ever been to.

- post-riot hotel room party with most of BTMI, AJJ, some of the flatliners, a bunch of girls, and like 70 british dudes.

lowlites

- black clad psuedo anarchist dickheads thinking everything is a fucking police conspiracy and attacking pedestrians, and then cops turning my saturday night from awesome to one of the most fucked up situations i've ever been in.

- retarded long ass lines for everything.

- sleeping 45 minutes sunday night before having to drive to tampa, only to have both of my flights delayed

i had copies in my room for you ya dolt but you never came up!

ok the emotron finale.

he was in his underwear, wearing a seriously freaky mask, making these horrible noises which were audible over the PA backing track, while slamming his fists into the carpet which was sending flour into the fan... so the entire stage is covered in flour smoke.

he strips naked, lays on his back, puts his feet behind his head and emptys half a bottle of hersheys syrup into his ass. he then sprays the rest all over himself,

hey then dumps the rest of the flour all over himself, and lights his dick on fire while spraying chocolate sauce out his ass.

he then peed everywhere.

then he sang the ending to nine inch nails march of the pigs,

hilarious/horrifying

ok the emotron finale.

he was in his underwear, wearing a seriously freaky mask, making these horrible noises which were audible over the PA backing track, while slamming his fists into the carpet which was sending flour into the fan... so the entire stage is covered in flour smoke.

he strips naked, lays on his back, puts his feet behind his head and emptys half a bottle of hersheys syrup into his ass. he then sprays the rest all over himself,

hey then dumps the rest of the flour all over himself, and lights his dick on fire while spraying chocolate sauce out his ass.

he then peed everywhere.

hilarious/horrifying

wtf

ok the emotron finale.

he then peed everywhere.

hilarious/horrifying

Yeah...I saw none of that. Holy god. I hope they steam cleaned that before Op!!!. I came by with Eric around 2am. We knocked and there was no answer. Eric even went to Jeff's room to see if you were there. Then I went back to my room and watched the V mini series on the Sci Fi channel.