Details re: the Vinyl Collective Cooperative label

Guest admin1338560633

This is a great idea and the fact that virgil is taking time out to organize something like this is awesome. Most people who run labels as a living would not normally take the time out to do this.

my thoughts.

1. having 100 people vote on putting out 1 record is impossible.

Lets say everyone votes to release a record and the Label/Band says no. Dont get bummed, this kinda stuff may or may not happen but just be prepared.

2. I think setting limits on the amount of colors of the pressing will be important. I think everyone would like there to be be 5 different colors in each pressing, but thats going to bring the price per record UP alot and intimately bring the amount of records the group can release DOWN.

so yea

my ideas

I would say a limit of three colors makes sense. A "board shareholder" color and then an even split of color for the rest. Or something like that.

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great idea and the fact that virgil is taking time out to organize something like this is awesome. Most people who run labels as a living would not normally take the time out to do this.

my thoughts.

Lets say everyone votes to release a record and the Label/Band says no. Dont get bummed, this kinda stuff may or may not happen but just be prepared.

2. I think setting limits on the amount of colors of the pressing will be important. I think everyone would like there to be be 5 different colors in each pressing, but thats going to bring the price per record UP alot and intimately bring the amount of records the group can release DOWN.

so yea

my ideas

i think they are gonna have us all give ideas, then the 10 board members are going to pick a couple bands and after that we will have like 4 or 5 bands that we like from that that we will vote on. and thats how it will go for each release

so yea

my ideas

i think virgil is only going to press 2 colors of each. 200/800 split

actually, i want to add on this. pressing 5 colors could up the cost some, but it will also up the sales. do you think the goddamnit redux would have sold out so fast if it was just one or two colors and there werent some of us on the board making sure we have all 8 colors?

my thoughts.

so yea

my ideas

I agree with both of these ideas. I'd personally like to see no more than 2 colors/pressings of each record.

thanks

i can just see someone getting mad or bummed

that its not going to be on 10 different colors or have a something like a gatefold jacket.

and pressing 5 colors will add up more than just "some".

Alkaline trio reissues would have sold with out all the color variations

thanks

i can just see someone getting mad or bummed

that its not going to be on 10 different colors or have a something like a gatefold jacket.

and pressing 5 colors will add up more than just "some".

Alkaline trio reissues would have sold with out all the color variations

i prefer just having two colors, i was just playing devil's advocate. and i realize goddamnit would have sold it anyway, i was just making the point, that i, along with a lot of other people, have 8 copies of that record coming because there are 8 different colors. where if they had pressed it on only one color, id only have one copy coming

Guest baseball
So are you saying the board members you chose have already been contacted? I would have liked to be on it, but if not that's cool too.

But you'd take a month to send out your groups nominations!

We'd have to start a 'Terrible Boardmembers' thread!

But you'd take a month to send out your groups nominations!

We'd have to start a 'Terrible Boardmembers' thread!

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn. Cold, man, cold.

But you have to admit it was funny.

I'm just waiting for you to make so many posts that your rank is "No Idea Grey" That would be funny.

Sounds like Virgel has put some thought into it and I say go with the original plan. He should have no problem finding 100 people to do it the way he outlined. I appreciate the chance to be a part of it. My two cents...do 100 shares with one per person. If it sells out add a few more hundred. Always keep it one per person.

i think a better approach would be this...

each board member and his 10 shareholders makes a list of what titles they would be interesting pursuing.. we then contact labels, bands etc...and then make a smaller list of actual possibilities.. we then have everyone vote. take the top 5 vote getters... starting with #1.. try to negotiate a deal.. if it doesnt work.. we move to the next album on the list.

plus as said before virgil turns down big names already if he doesn't personally love the band... this label could also take a shot at records that maybe virgil isnt stoked on, but would sell decently well.

plus id imagine the board members collectively have enough pull to hit up top run acts as well.

Yeah, it seems that between the label owners, promoters, ex-promoters, and all the generally old dudes who have been around a while we should be able to get our hands on just about anything.

I've got a few ins that I wouldn't mind exploiting to get some great records pressed.