Holy Shiiiit! Pixies Boxset Unveiled

i do graphic art, and i'd like to get paid $1000 if i could.. $25,000 would pay my debt, and still leave me with enough on a down payment ona hoouse...

Totally... and the most fucked up thing is, that $25k is a drop in the bucket. Not to mention that it also goes towards the "Deluxe" version, which the net of that isn't even factored in here. Insane cash all the way around.

I don't think anyone begrudges the people involved money from their work (especially a band like the Pixies who probably haven't seen much of it from being a band). It's the amount of money to be made from this that is offensive. Not to mention that a limited edition item like this is usually done in the spirit of doing something cool for the fans. Given the amount of these being made and the cost of each, this is just a transparent attempt to fleece a million bucks from them (us).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this quote i read on pitchfork by Black Francis:

"I was recently quoted about the state of the music business, and I was saying it should be kind of a $5 world right now. Records and tickets should be cheap, given the overpricing of the recent years and the state of the world economy. But now, this box comes out and I feel like the biggest shithead in the world."

People want to say, "well, look at the NIN box set! That sold out!" NIN has way more fans than the Pixies. Plus that set was $200 less. Plus that set had 500 less copies. Plus I believe that set was the only way you could get the vinyl of that album. Not even close to the same situation.

Yes and no. The vinyl for Ghosts I-IV was available outside of the deluxe set BUT not 180gram. The deluxe set has 180gram vinyl.

Juan, i'm real in the dark about NIN. Pretty hate machine and downward spiral were all i've ever heard. Does the new stuff sound similar or have they gone a different way.

also I like that there was some tension in this thread earlier and all has since been resolved and worked out and some good information and opinions have been presented. well done.

I like this quote i read on pitchfork by Black Francis:

"I was recently quoted about the state of the music business, and I was saying it should be kind of a $5 world right now. Records and tickets should be cheap, given the overpricing of the recent years and the state of the world economy. But now, this box comes out and I feel like the biggest shithead in the world."

haha... I was going to say that since he's the only member that isn't in the video hyping up this monstrosity it might be implicit evidence of his disapproval. Turns out I was right.

Juan, i'm real in the dark about NIN. Pretty hate machine and downward spiral were all i've ever heard. Does the new stuff sound similar or have they gone a different way.

They've...or rather he...expanded their sound. The new stuff is not as abrasive as TDS but still heavy and rough. He has incorporated a lot more melody and ambience into the music.

I'd say check out The Fragile. It's phenomenal.

pricy.

i know how this band awesome.

they are one of my favourite brit band.

but almost 500 usd for wax and almost 200 usd for cd is expensive....

they were american, yu. like cheeseburgers and dying alone.

i'm not sure what all you guy mena, gravitylovesdrunks.

but i think i understand what you mean....

:)

i do graphic art, and i'd like to get paid $1000 if i could.. $25,000 would pay my debt, and still leave me with enough on a down payment ona hoouse...

Totally... and the most fucked up thing is, that $25k is a drop in the bucket. Not to mention that it also goes towards the "Deluxe" version, which the net of that isn't even factored in here. Insane cash all the way around.

I don't think anyone begrudges the people involved money from their work (especially a band like the Pixies who probably haven't seen much of it from being a band). It's the amount of money to be made from this that is offensive. Not to mention that a limited edition item like this is usually done in the spirit of doing something cool for the fans. Given the amount of these being made and the cost of each, this is just a transparent attempt to fleece a million bucks from them (us).

xxmartinxx: i admit i stand corrected... please ignore my argument. i should have invested a bit of time in calculating rather than assuming costs. on a single item rather than the grand scheme of things. my bad.

xxmartinxx: i admit i stand corrected... please ignore my argument. i should have invested a bit of time in calculating rather than assuming costs. on a single item rather than the grand scheme of things. my bad.

It's cool. Being married, I'm used to being wrong so it's a nice change of pace.

Lots of speculation. I think you are wrong, I think they will sell fine, your also forgetting/leaving out that they need to pay people for their time, something not included in the box set, but resulted in the boxset. You don't need to sell them in a week to make profit either.

For some fun, Lets look at some numbers to try to back up what we are spitting, Last.fm

Pixies listeners = 992,331

NIN listeners = 1,060,504

not a big difference.

Google trends

http://www.google.com/trends?q=nine+inch+nails%2C+nin%2C+pixies&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

search traffic is higher for nin and nine inch nails over pixies so maybe more people are interested in buying nin stuff.

Viewing sales rank at Amazon, which sadly do not offer much reporting, NIN is ahead in sales rank.

blogpulse trends also show a higher rating for past 6 months of blogging on both nin and nine inch nails.

http://www.blogpulse.com/trend?query1=nine+inch+nails&label1=nine+inch+nails&query2=nin&label2=nin&query3=pixies&label3=pixies&days=180&x=20&y=7

So you might be right good sir.

I'm confused by this post. You start off saying I'm wrong, then by the end you seem to be conceding that I might be right. I'm confused.

You really don't need to be that scientific about it. NIN has had multiple hits.....have a massive fan base.

Sorry, I do need to be scientific about it. That's how my brain works. I don't just believe things because of feelings and i hate blind assumptions. This is why I have no belief in any higher power...

You should not be confused. I started off thinking you were wrong but after some research find you might be correct and have a good point. I have no problems admitting my thoughts may have been wrong and correcting myself.

If anything you should feel good you managed to get your message across and change my mind a bit.

If anything you should feel good you managed to get your message across and change my mind a bit.

It's definitely cool that people can have a somewhat rational discussion, people can discuss facts, and people can come to a conclusion that perhaps they didn't imagine before hand. It's also cool that people have open minds enough to allow that.

• 2 years later...
way too expensive. I'll just buy the LPs individually

Pretty much been doing this anyway

one word...........amazon.

Or go to a record store. All of The Pixies release are at mine.

i bought all the 180g reissues from aural exploits when they were brand new, and i think i spent less than $50 to have all 4 shipped to me at once.

i still need to pick up a copy of come on pilgrim, but i'm in no hurry.