Pixies To Play Doolittle In Its Entirety

Is anyone else excited?

http://spin.com/articles/exclusive-pixies-will-play-us-doolittle-shows

Frank Black tells SPIN.com that the Boston-born quartet will celebrate the 20th anniversary of their groundbreaking release, Doolittle, by playing the album in its entirety in Oakland, Los Angeles, Seattle, Denver, Chicago, Boston, Washington DC, New York City, and "maybe Montreal" this fall.

"I believe we're doing the Wang Center in Boston," he says of his hometown gig at the 3,600-capacity venue.

Exact dates have yet to be confirmed. The U.S. tour is expected to follow a run of Doolittle shows in Europe scheduled for October.

The gigs will coincide with the release of the Pixies' ambitious Minotaur box set, which will arrive in October on 4AD Records (order yours now via Artist in Residence).

Black notes that 2010 will mark the 20th anniversary of Bossa Nova, and didn't dismiss the idea of performing that album's songs back-to-back, too.

"We don't want to get blood out of a stone or anything. It's not like we're seeking offers -- but the phone just always rings." One recent call was a proposal to open for Neil Young at the U.K.'s Isle of Wight festival this past June.

"You get that phone call and you go," enthuses Black. "Neil Young? Yeah, I'll be there; I'll sing the old songs -- sure!"

Since they're not coming within 500 miles of my state, I couldn't care less.

And is it me, but with this extravagent box set thing and now this tour, doesn't it seem like Black Francis and company are just on some huge cash grab lately?

I half expect to see Pixies action figures at a store near me sometime soon.

Since they're not coming within 500 miles of my state, I couldn't care less.

And is it me, but with this extravagent box set thing and now this tour, doesn't it seem like Black Francis and company are just on some huge cash grab lately?

I half expect to see Pixies action figures at a store near me sometime soon.

FWIW, the Pixies didn't make all that much money in the late 80's/early 90's - and Black has been honest in his interviews that the reformation of the band was partly financial in its decision. It's not like his solo albums (nor the other members projects) make any money and as a middle aged musician with a family... he deserves to be able to live off his creativity. So does Deal and Co. A huge "cash grab"? I sincerely doubt it.

Eh, I have no problem with this. It's not like they are going to mail it in.

I hate the mentality that if a band is consistently together for a long period of time, regardless if their recent albums are shit, it's okay for them to keep playing. But if a band was hugely influential years ago, still has a huge fanbase, and can genuinely still rock out, then they are cash-grabbing if they start playing live again. I saw Pixies at Coachella in '05 and again in Tampa that year (or early '06) and they were amazing.

08-29 Burl's Creek Park, Ontario - V Festival

09-30 Dublin, Ireland - Olympia

10-01 Dublin, Ireland - Olympia

10-02 Dublin, Ireland - Olympia

10-04 Glasgow, Scotland - SECC - Hall 4

10-06 London, England - Brixton Academy

10-07 London, England - Brixton Academy

10-08 London, England - Brixton Academy

10-09 London, England - Brixton Academy

10-11 Frankfurt, Germany - Jahrhunderhalle

10-13 Amsterdam, Holland - Heineken Music Hall

10-14 Brussels, Belgium - Forest National