(band) tattoos

Yeah, I know what you mean with the HWM. Their last couple records were subpar, but they've meant a whole lot to me for 8 years now and have gotten me through some rough shit. I have no tattoos, band logos or otherwise, but if I were to get a band tattoo it would most definitely be HWM. They're more than just a cool band for me, ya know?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once I get some more money, I plan on getting Bad Religion's Suffer Boy on the back of my right calf, and them some Converge-related artwork (Jane Doe or No Heroes) on the left calf. I plan on sticking to album-specific stuff, hopefully avoiding any embarrassments that would come if the band in question pulled an "AFI" or "Dead Kennedys" on me...

Yeah, I think the waiting till a band breaks up rule isn't a bad one, cause you never know what kind of crap a band can go on to put out. Remember when Promise Ring put out Very Emergency? One of my rules is that if you're into punk/hardcore your back calf is automatically reserved for a hardcore tattoo of a band who either started or ended in the late 80's to late 90's. So no Comeback Kid ink yet.

[this is just a personal rule of no merit so please don't bring the hate if you're back calf is an x-wing/tie fighter battle scene]

I was convinced I'd get an Alkaline Trio tattoo after Godamnit came out. Never thought they'd get popular or turn all dark and shit. I also always wanted an evil Jack Skellington tattoo. I'm glad I didn't get them because I'd look like a walking advertisement for Hot Topic.

I know it shouldn't matter, you love what you love, but...it does matter and we all sorta know it. Hell, my tattoos would never show anyways, so it really shouldn't matter

That being said, I'd feel pretty safe with a HWM logo tattoo.

Holy shit, I just remembered...I wanted a Goo Goo Dolls tattoo before I could even legally get one. I absolutely worshipped them, they were the only non-mainstream band I listened to. I still love their first 4-5 albums. And I think it's fine that they "grew" into what they are and are making shitloads of money now since they didn't make dick when they were good.

But can you imagine?? That alone is reason enough for me to NEVER get a band tattoo.

Guest conoley

My roommate from a few years ago has the alexisonfire heart skull. I love to make fun of him for it even though he loves the band. He got it when the first album came out. If I was going to get a band tattoo, I'd wait until they broke up.

"Jet Black" is a great song. but "Busy" beats it. at certain points, both "Unfun" and "Bivouac" (the album) lose me ("Face Down" never made any sense to me), but those albums have the majority of their best songs on it. 24HRT is a good album, but it wasn't able to stick with me the way "Dear You" has. i'd probably give it to "Unfun"just for having "Busy" and "Gutless" on it. but "Chesterfield King" and "Big"? so ridiculously good.

in general i think band tattoos are a really bad idea. if i had got a tattoo of a band i liked when i was 16 i probably would hate myself right now. i of course now believe my taste in music has grown drastically since then but i still dont discount the fact that its possible i may not be the same person in 10 yrs.

lyrics i can see if they mean something to you and some artwork is really cool to me but as far as sticking a specific band name on my body--id never do it but to each his/her own.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, a Baizley tattoo would be killer. You'd have to find an amazing artist to do it justice, though.

Theres the problem. I always thought it'd be pretty cool to get some of the better album artwork I like as a tattoo but it'd be a bitch to find an artist that would do it justice. Thats why I'm always amazing when I see people with like a Starry Night or fucking Picasso sketch tattoo. Not only does it always look like crap, but what artist has the balls to attempt that?

Guest scriptedrain
Scott, did you just imply that "Dear You" is Jawbreaker's best album? Are you suffering from ergotism?

It wins hands down simply because it has "Jet Black" and "Oyster" on it, two of the band's most perfect (and for some reason highly ignored) tracks in their catalog.

I'm with you.

- Jeff

I don't know how I feel about the whole band tattoo thing. I mean, it kinda seems like a bad idea because who knows what could happen or how you'll feel about them in the future. Although, if I could figure out something that would represent the Eels' Electro-Shock Blues album, I'd be all over it. I'll stick with lyrics, myself. I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate "Born to lose and destined to fail" on something because Social D's Ball and Chain is my fucking theme song.

i've many times considered getting this design done, though i sincerely doubt i could find someone who could do all the scratches and noise in a manner that pleases me.

[image]

also, when my asian friend terrence comes home from law school this christmas we're making an appointment and i'm getting this baby:

[image]

or possibly another variation on the "caution" artwork...even though birds are really scene right now...

I would be majorly bummed if I was taking a girl's shirt off and saw a giant astronaut on her side, no matter how much I love Brand New. Some things just don't work as tattoos.

Sorry to post so late on this one, but Scott if you were taking a girls shirt off I doubt an astronaut would really bum you out. After all you'd be taking your shirt off too I hope.