Black vinyl sounds better

black is the absence of color in the visible spectrum of light. thats why when there is no light, you see black.

black in pigmentation is essentially all colors combined.

as the almighty wiki states:

"Black is the lack of all colors of light, or an exhaustive combination of multiple colors of pigment. "

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone who has a setup good enough to tell the difference between colored and black vinyl probably doesn't own any colored vinyl.

also, the difference between colored and black vinyl is insignificant to the difference between any color or black virgin vinyl to any colored or black garbage vinyl.

Even though many like to pretend like they do, the majority of this board does not buy vinyl because it "sounds better."

Listening to punk records on vinyl does not make you an audiophile no matter what color the vinyl is.

So true.... I thought about getting Blink - Dude Ranch on 180 gram "audiophile" and I was like....wait.....that album is not a high quality production album, what the hell is 180 gram going to do for it? So I got it on transparent brown, I guess I am one of the few who thought that.

Something like Muse - Absolution on 180 gram on a nice stereo might make a difference though.

I have plenty of colors that sound as good as black. And I have an audiophile set up. Glow and fluorescent sound bad. Transparent colors tend to sound fine. White usually sounds pretty bad.

I'm sure its got to do with the size of the pigment in the vinyl. Small enough particles and it doesn't matter.

i am willing to bet that if you have the same record, from the same pressing, on several different colors, you would not be able to hear a difference in sound. it is all about the mastering before they produce the plates. if the audio isnt mastered properly for vinyl it will sound bad, regardless of whether its on 200g Black or 120g white.

Guest drawthecurtains

Oh, you crazy kids with your witty black people = black records racism jokes, ho ho ho!

I for one, own several slaves and treat them all as nice as I own my records - I scoff at you small-minded peasants that try to amuse yourselves with over-done jokes. HMPH.

[image]