Things you hate about comic books

I've been putting together a article on things I hate about comics as a long time comic book lover. Here's my list so far

-Recons that make no sense and are simply used to make up for stories they don't know how to finish.

- Making stories edgier with rape

- Killing off beloved characters to force shocks (see entire Ultimatum story line)

- "Your dad was really a secret agent!" storyline reveals

- Variant covers readers have no chance of getting because retailers sell them at a premium the second they get in

- Red Hulk

What are yours?

I've been putting together a article on things I hate about comics as a long time comic book lover. Here's my list so far

-Recons that make no sense and are simply used to make up for stories they don't know how to finish.

- Killing off beloved characters to force shocks (see entire Ultimatum story line)

- Variant covers readers have no chance of getting because retailers sell them at a premium the second they get in

- Red Hulk

What are yours?

Rape? I quit collecting about six years ago, partially because the stories were getting too adult and dark. I didn't want them to grow up with me, I preferred them as an escape from the real world. I still make the occasional trip to the store with a friend that still collects. I was a massive Spider-Man fan. Saw Kaine on the cover of a recent issue and realized I'm not missing anything.

For me it's the price. I've almost completely stopped collecting. I will though, from time to time check out the comics at our Half Priced Books store locations, looking for runs at a lower cost. I guess I'd also say disappointing endings to year long events..er, epics, if you know what I'm trying to say.

- Red Hulk

What are yours?

yeah, im gonna have to agree with you on red hulk... unless were talking visually.. and specifically, ed mcguinness' red hulk. dudes my favorite, and his red hulk is intense.

if i have any complaints, it's mostly about major events and their tie-ins/crossovers with regular titles. case in point, i don't give a shit about dark reign, and i love daredevil. at the end of ed brubaker's run on daredevil and before andy diggle took over on the proper title, he did a "dark reign: the list" issue for daredevil. i almost didn't pick this up because i don't care about dark reign, nor "the list" or any of that bullshit. however, i'm glad i did, because lo and behold, when he started his actual run on daredevil, the beginning of the issue is tied in DIRECTLY to the events in "the list". i don't mind events if they can stand on their own. i just hate when they spill over and effect other books you might be reading, when the book is doing perfectly fine on it's own without any major event involvement.

Personally, I like that nobody stays dead in mainstream comics. The whole idea that nothing is permanent and anything can happen is part of what makes comics interesting to me. I don't think a writer should be robbed of a character just because someone else decided to kill them.

If I want to read a series where things like death are more permanent, I'll read a creator owned series.