Looking To Buy New Record Player (Extreme Budget)

I've been browsing these boards, as well as other vinyl sites, and fully understand that to get a worthy table, I'd have to spend at least $350+, for a Rega, Technics, etc...

Unfortunately, times are super tight and I'm looking to spend $100 or less. I understand I'm not going to get an audiophile TT for that money. Trust me, if I had all the money in the world, my setup would be sick, but that's not the case...right now, ha ha.

Watching a couple of Technics tables on eBay. I see a number of SL-B2 / B3...also see D2 /D3 on there. Anybody familiar with these models? Again, I know they aren't great at all, but just wondering if anyone has any knowledge about these tables. Specifically, would I be able to buy a better cart / stylus in a couple of months?

yeah, if you can hold out til the spring or summer when garage sales/estate sales happen more frequently, that's your best bet to find a pretty nice table for a steal of a price. the local thrift stores near me when i lived in the suburbs never really had any turntables, and if they did they were always beat to hell.

another really good idea is to just let everybody you speak with (or friends on facebook or something) know that you're looking for a table. everybody's parents or grandparents have a table that has gone un-used for 20+ years, so you might be able to score one for free if enough people are asking around for you.

Find a KOHL's coupon and go to their electronics section and pick up the Ion Profile LP USB turntable -- I bought one for a buddy of mine for Christmas and it's pretty sweet. It's $119.95 at the store, but you can easily knock that down with one of their really good coupons (just google KOHL's coupons).

Good luck!

• 8 months later...
What does everyone think about this model? I'm looking into it for someone. I can't get the turntable thread to work :/

http://www.ionaudio.com/ionttusb

If they don't care about sound quality, that's a decent price. I am, however going off my experience with the Numark USB TT. The cartridge it came with was garbage, and the lightweight hollow plastic body of the table itself made it sound pretty bad. But I could be wrong...maybe ION is better. It just looks identical.

Thanks for the help everyone! He's definitely looking something with good sound quality. So I would say that turntable is a no go. The budget isn't necessarily under $100.

That Technics looks cool. Personally I've always wanted a Technics but find that they are never in my price range. Is this a really old model?

What does everyone think about this model? I'm looking into it for someone. I can't get the turntable thread to work :/

http://www.ionaudio.com/ionttusb

I got this from woot for $49.00.....I got what I paid for. Used it till I got some old record player (can't remember what it was) that was sitting in my girflriends closet and that sounded better but then got a short in it now I'm back to this piece of shit. Hopefully not for long, I will be shopping for a new one soon, just want to save a bit more. DO NOT get this.....Notice it also has no dust cover.....and burning CD's with it, sounds like the music is coming out of a tin can.

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=sr_du_1_map?s=gatewa y&ie=UTF8&qid=1285646490&sr=8-1

And it's only $70 right now. Best turntable in your budget.

Wow this one looks great! All of the reviews are positive and the look is cool. I'm bookmarking this one. Also considering purchasing it for myself. It was $200 and on sale for $70! I'm seriously considering buying this too.

That Ion seems like a bad buy...will tell him definitely not to buy.

Can anyone recommend some good speakers for a good price to go along with the Technica?

Thanks for the help everyone! He's definitely looking something with good sound quality. So I would say that turntable is a no go. The budget isn't necessarily under $100.

That Technics looks cool. Personally I've always wanted a Technics but find that they are never in my price range. Is this a really old model?

It's an 80's issue. I have two, both for quite a few years, and they sound and work incredible. Do a google search and you'll see what I mean.

If your already pushing yourself to 150, any chance you could break 200? At least this one comes with a cartridge, and a built in pre-amp

For new this might be the lowest priced good new table. http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-PL120-Professional-Direct-Drive-Turntable/dp/B00012EYNG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1285694148&sr=1-1

In the $200 and less range, its hard to beat. I had that table and its a great performer. Ya may be able to find these used.

Of course, it may be cheaper elsewhere.

I've heard some of those Stanton's have a arm issue, which makes it almost impossible to align properly which will have a effect on sound and increased record wear. It seems they were built to give DJ's the best tracking ability since they tend to not fret on sound quality as much.

If your already pushing yourself to 150, any chance you could break 200? At least this one comes with a cartridge, and a built in pre-amp

For new this might be the lowest priced good new table. http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-PL120-Professional-Direct-Drive-Turntable/dp/B00012EYNG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1285694148&sr=1-1

In the $200 and less range, its hard to beat. I had that table and its a great performer. Ya may be able to find these used.

Of course, it may be cheaper elsewhere.

I've heard some of those Stanton's have a arm issue, which makes it almost impossible to align properly which will have a effect on sound and increased record wear. It seems they were built to give DJ's the best tracking ability since they tend to not fret on sound quality as much.

The LP60 model has a pre-amp doesn't it? That's what it says on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=sr_du_1_map?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285646490&sr=8-1

Gosh, and I was seriously thinking about getting a Stanton because I like the look of them. But I don't want to have to tinker the tone arm if it's gonna be a pain. Bummer.

The look of the table should be the last thing you're concerned with. It should function well first. There's far too many great used tables on Ebay that can be purchased for well under $100 to bother purchasing a new one or (as others have stated) check garage sales, flea markets, thrift stores, etc. I have over a dozen turntables I picked up that way from this year alone.