What is your job?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm a sports reporter for a local weekly newspaper. i get to cover high school sporting events and minor league baseball in the spring and summer. i'm a dying breed, but i was both pleased and surprised to find out when i took the job that the paper has slightly over 5,000 subscribers. which for a paper of our size is pretty damn good.

Currently unemployed, but for the past few years i was an engineering technician/classroom assistant at a college. Basically i built, fixed and tested electronic/electrical equipment, set up classrooms and equipment for practical sessions and supervised the students during experiments to make sure they didn't blow shit up.

I build, update, repair and install computers on the side to make a bit of money.

The way things are going i think i'm soon going to be working in a mill store until i can find something more permanent.

I work at an art and 'culture' (read: books on punk, skinheads, cults etc..) bookstore and gallery. I love it. We've done shows and events for people like Daniel Johnston, Tim Kerr, Chip Kidd, Gary Panter, Cynthia Connolly, Bill Daniels etc.. www.domystore.com

Before that I built pickups (like in guitars) for pianos.

I've been there, that place was fucking awesome, close to Agora, right? definitely made some purchases. Will probably be stopping in the weekend of the March 13th.

so yeah, everybody has real jobs, jobs that are radical, or jobs that pay well...i feel like a total shit reading all of this.

I work for one of the top Jimmy John's (seabr0) in the Nation (we hold the top 3 spots for single-day sales), we do more delivery than any other Jimmy John's in the nation as well...I pretty much do anything and everything there. I work inshop making sandwiches, slicing meats, cleaning...cleaning...cleaning...and then cleaning some more. I'm a P.I.C. (person in charge [poor title for the job]) as well...which is essentially an assistant manager, which consists of handling money, training new employees, deligating tasks, and running the store if need be. I deliver (though not nearly as often) when our deliveries get backed up. I'm also an opening manager one day a week (rotates between Saturday and Sunday), which consists of being at the store at 6a.m. and slicing all the veggies for the day and running the store until the night manager arrives at 5:30ish...but I usually have enough shit to do where I don't end up leaving until around 6:30 or so...don't care for the long crappy hours.

They treat their managers like crap (at least at the store I work at) so the only reason I picked up a managing shift was it kept me from having to work any closing shifts (which are normally manditory, even if you're the longest running employee in that particular stores history)...getting to bed at 5a.m. or later throws quite a monkey-wrench in any sort of sleeping schedule I attempt to establish...especially being that I don't sleep well to begin with. I hope to get back into school this summer and finish (as I only have one semester left) and find a job that blows a little less cock and hopefully pays a little better.

Currently unemployed, but before hand was an Office Manager for a company that sells Home Theater equipment and supplies (lamps for projectors and DLP televisions).

On the side I am studio drummer. pays pretty well, and its fun. Hopefully one day I will land that gig that pays well for a long time haha.

This thread is rad. It also lets me know that if the rest of the world suddenly died of unknown causes but we VCers survived, we could totally start over and make a pretty bitchin' new society.

As for me: I'm the music editor for Alternative Press, a national music magazine celebrating its 25th anniversary this year.

I work at a souveneir/ merchandise booth at dodger stadium. I love it. come in every day, watch some batting practice, sell some shirts, watch a lil bit of the game and go home. cant complain. and the schedule is legit, i work a week straight and get a week off when theyre on the road.

For the Town of Tonawanda, I manage an ice rink in the winter, and the summer I work at a park doing shit with kids. Easy job, but little pay.

I then substitute teach at 3 different districts while I look for a full time job and get my master's in education.

On an average week I work about 50 hours and spend another 9 in class. On a week when I get overloaded and stressed out, I work 25 or 30 hours and still sit in class for 9 more. I have no free time, ever. I haven't seen some of my close friends in 3 months.