Country/Folk Recommendations

for more popular stuff (sort of, mainstream country still doesn't care much about it) check out the red dirt and Austin tx scenes.

This will be closest to Country, but whatever. I like Cory Morrow, Robert Earl Keen, Jerry Jeff Walker, Pat Green (well, his early stuff up to Three Days). Reckless Kelly/Micky and the Motorcars (4 brothers, 2 in each band.)

The Snake The Cross The Crown--Cotton Teeth or Mander Salis

I remember I received "mander salis" for free in front of the 930 club in DC on the way to see Kevin Devine -- we listened to it on the way back and damn it was good!

My choices:

• [*:bsbcyq5e]]Kevin Devine
    [*:bsbcyq5e]]Iron & Wine
    [*:bsbcyq5e]]Gregory Alan Isakov (on 'This Empty Northern Hemisphere' he covers a Leonard Cohen track called "One of Us Cannot be Wrong" which is absolutely amazing) -- Check out his other albums That Sea, The Gambler and Songs for October
    [*:bsbcyq5e]]The Shins
    [*:bsbcyq5e]]Right Away, Great Captain! (Andy Hull's side project -- lead singer of Manchester Orchestra)
    [*:bsbcyq5e]]Josh Small (you probably indicated that with the 'et all' but his stuff is amazing!)
    [*:bsbcyq5e]]Pablo (they toured with Kevin Devine years ago and put out a 7" that was hand numbered and on 70g -- still for purchase)
    [*:bsbcyq5e]]The Honorary Title (they have a mixture of folk in the music, but the lead singer Jarrod Gorbel has a solo album with some folk influence)
    [*:bsbcyq5e]]Sea Wolf (lead singer from Silversun Pickups is the guitarist!)
    [*:bsbcyq5e]]Ugly Casanova (lead singer of Modest Mouse had a side project years ago that was pretty cool and had some folk influence)

Ugly Casanova (lead singer of Modest Mouse had a side project years ago that was pretty cool and had some folk influence)

If you like Ugly Casanova, you should check out Holopaw. The singer from that band is 1/3 of Ugly Casanova. They're on Sub-Pop. Their first album is really pretty alt-country with a few electonic flourishes. They're playing Harvest of Hope this year and I'm really bummed I won't make it.

Ugly Casanova (lead singer of Modest Mouse had a side project years ago that was pretty cool and had some folk influence)

If you like Ugly Casanova, you should check out Holopaw. The singer from that band is 1/3 of Ugly Casanova. They're on Sub-Pop. Their first album is really pretty alt-country with a few electonic flourishes. They're playing Harvest of Hope this year and I'm really bummed I won't make it.

Holopaw? Hell yes I'll check them out! I'm always open for any kind of new music and being that they're on Sub Pop, you know it has to be good haha. Thanks buddy, +1

Their new one, "Oh, Glory. Oh, Wilderness", that just came

out in the last couple of months, is on Obscurist Press/Bakery Outlet

If you like Ugly Casanova, you should check out Holopaw. The singer from that band is 1/3 of Ugly Casanova. They're on Sub-Pop.

Hell yes haha -- thanks for the info

i'll cover pretty much the "essentials" for american folk music, though you should also explore european/celtic folk artists as well (the clancey brothers and tommy makem, the dubliners, the cheiftans, etc.)

woody guthrie

tom paxton

bob dylan

pete seeger

joni mitchell

willie nelson

phil ochs

joan baez

for more popular stuff (sort of, mainstream country still doesn't care much about it) check out the red dirt and Austin tx scenes.

This will be closest to Country, but whatever. I like Cory Morrow, Robert Earl Keen, Jerry Jeff Walker, Pat Green (well, his early stuff up to Three Days). Reckless Kelly/Micky and the Motorcars (4 brothers, 2 in each band.)

You rule.

Their new one, "Oh, Glory. Oh, Wilderness", that just came

out in the last couple of months, is on Obscurist Press/Bakery Outlet

If you like Ugly Casanova, you should check out Holopaw. The singer from that band is 1/3 of Ugly Casanova. They're on Sub-Pop.

Oh cool, I figured they were about due since it had been 3-4 years since their last one. Thanks for the info.

THe thing i hate about TX country is there's so much here, it gets ridiculous. Especially Austin.

But Sundays are fun when we go to CHICKEN SHIT BINGO to see the stylings of RED VOLKERT or DALE WATSON. So fuckin' fun. $2 Lonestars, Free Hot Dogs and good company. It's a whole lot of fun.

other artists:

Jesse Dayton

Bobby Bare Jr.

Old 97's

Golden Smog

Jayhawks

The Refreshments (they have a country tinge)

Charlie Daniels

The Derailers