+/- about your day

+ To find some positives, I was just thinking about how I get paid to essentially sit around and facebook / VC / whatever. My whole position is to make sure things don't go wrong, and if you do that well enough, there's actually NOTHING to do. Other employees do all the work while I sit on my laptop, look pretty, and then skate after everyone else is gone.

Matt - I just noticed you are from Buffalo. Remember that Sabres triple overtime loss in the Stanley Cup Finals against the Dallas Stars.

Brett fucking Hull.

I was in seventh grade and wrote a nasty letter to the NHL commissioner about his foot being in the crease. True story.

Everyone remembers that. I have the "Sabres at 40" book. It's so sad when they reminisce about that. Apparently Lindy Ruff was ranting and raving on the bench, the confetti was flying, the cup was on its way out. Darcy Regier grabbed him and said something like, "Lindy, they're not going back on it now.." and he wrote in the book that he refuses to watch any championship-clinching game in any sport. I don't like Darcy as it is, but I do believe that he was crushed by that decision.

Funny enough, I know the call ultimately went way above him, but one of my bosses at the rinks here is the goal judge / review official for the Sabres (he actually splits the job now) and was on duty for that game. EVERYONE who knows about it holds that against him. He gets pissed when people bring it up.*

But the fucking goal... they changed the goddamn rule that year! I'm not saying that Dallas wouldn't have scored later in the OT anyway or that the Sabres would've won game 7, but let it play out by the rules at that time. The rule clearly sucked, but for a championship, that's how it ends? That one hurt me more than Wide Right hurts the city because Wide Right was a fuck-up by the player(s), this was a fuck-up by the league and its officials.

You say "no goal" around Buffalo and everyone knows what you're talking about.

[image]

With Brett Hull, I both loathe and respect him. He's the face of this mistake, so I hate him, but he can't go anywhere without running into a Sabres fan who lets him hear it even 13 years later. He tweeted a picture of himself wearing a "No Goal!" shirt earlier this season. For being hated by an entire fanbase, he has fun with it without being a complete asshole. He just digs when the opportunity arises because why not? I can respect that. Doesn't mean I like him, but he's handled the whole thing ok.

*An example. A couple years ago this kid (I say kid, but he's two years older than me and I'm 25) Chris May got hired as a zamboni guy. When he comes into the office, one of the other full-timers goes, "Do you know who this is?" Without missing a beat, May goes, "yea, that's the motherfucker who cost us the Stanley Cup!" and stormed out of the office.

- So tired. I have been sleeping like shit lately.

- People just not showing up to work all weekend. I hate it here, nothing will happen to him for missing 2 days without calling.

-this week was really fucking heavy. nothing in particular, just way more shit going on than my head should be forced to manage at one time.

-$210 fucking speeding ticket

-and if that werent bad enough, stuck behind the slowest fucking drivers in the state the entire drive home after

+i dont have the balls to come out with what this is for .. but its still a + in every way but one.

+ House inspection is tomorrow. Fingers crossed it goes well.

+ Bought a net dd-wrt router for $15 thanks to slick deals today.

+ Bought some cheap power tool thanks to slick deals too.

- I've been super tired lately, but I'm still having trouble sleeping at night. I keep falling asleep at work though.

- I have an annoying cold I think, or it's just my body feeling sluggish from the lack of sleep.

---- a friend and co-worker passed away yesterday after only a 5 month battle with cancer. she was honestly one of the best, most genuine people i knew, and she was only in her late 40s/early 50s.

+/- i was one of the only people she told at work when she was diagnosed, and i took family photos of her with her two daughters and husband at her urging just in case something happened to her. her daughter posted on my facebook wall today thanks for taking the beautiful photos for them and i about lost it on my way to work this morning.

+/- i have an engagement shoot in DC on saturday and i'm worried i'll have to miss the funeral because of it.

- I've been playing NHL11 a lot lately and I just started a new season in my Be a GM mode. I'm getting lit up like crazy on the hardest setting. Last season I finished near the top of the league. I'm 4-8-3 so far.. this is unbelievably frustrating. I'll get up 2 or 3 goals and find a way to blow it, generally by penalties and the computer deciding it's time for one of their players to dangle around the offensive zone and walk through the entire team in the slot, have the goalie come diving out like a retard, and slide it easily around him. I want to smash my controller.

- I'm not playing NHL12.

- Alright, on a note that matters.. I came downstairs this morning to my mom's tea-kettle whistling quite annoyingly. Usually she's quick about grabbing it, but I turned the stove off and noticed the drawer for pans and shit underneath was open. Then my mom called me into the family room where she was in the doorway to the bathroom trying to bandage herself and needed help, and she was crying horribly. It wasn't about the pain or anything, it was a burst of frustration from being sick. I don't know whether it's the GVHD or side-effects from treatment for everything, but her skin is like tissue paper. Her legs are all beat up, and so are her wrists and forearms. She was putting a pan away and bashed her wrist and the skin just disappeared, wiping right away. She was crying and saying she's tired of being sick. The worst part is that I had nothing to say to try and comfort her. I'd like to say she'll be ok, but she's on the verge of ending up back in the hospital. She just spent 16 weeks in a wing of the cancer hospital that she couldn't leave. We never know if it will turn seriously bad some day. She thinks she has a cold which with her compromised immune system can easily slide to pneumonia. It just sucks. There's a huge feeling of helplessness and uncertainty. I want to find my own place, but I can't abandon my mom like this and my sister is still in high school and will go away to college in the fall. Meanwhile my brother moved to South Buffalo and doesn't even answer the phone when my mom calls. Everything sucks.

- Lost our playoff game 4-1. Shoulda been 4-2 but we had a goal disallowed on a bad call, puck was never frozen and the goalie knocked it in the net. Oh well. The team we played is phenomenal. They've lost 3 games in 2 years and we played really well, actually. Our goalie played out of her mind!

+ We actually still qualified for the Sectional Championship on Tuesday because the team that beat us is a private school and can win the league, but not the Section. The team we play Tuesday won in double OT today... if they lost, we wouldn't have qualified for the sectional game... it's convoluted, don't worry if you don't get it. We have a real shot at winning this one if we play like we did tonight (well) and they play like they did tonight (sloppy and poorly).

- My mom accidentally kicked the wire of my laptop and pulled it and hot chocolate off the coffee table. Now the inside of my laptop is all chocolatey. Last night it was being a little screwy (weird menus popping up that I'd never seen regarding the mic and headphone jacks) but so far today it's going ok. This laptop is dying anyway, but I'm too poor to be able to replace it if it fries.

- I just had to drop my mom down at the cancer hospital again. She's had a cough that's gotten worse and the doctors wanted her in right away. She's scared they won't let her leave.

---------------- My tenant is moving out of my condo in jax and now i have to find a replacement

---------------- Dont have money to carry both mortgages if i dont find someone right away

---------------- Fucked

- Got in a huge arguement with my mom last night and she lost her shit. She gets so bent out of shape so easily

- Now my dad is super pissed at me because of the argument/fight

- have to work this weekend to make up for my day off

- everyone at work is unraveling because its been so stressful around here lately.

+ work ordered Pizza and salad for lunch for everyone.

- I really don't want to go do a mock job interview at school today, but it's required for my class.

- Still sick, dizzy and a horrible headache.

+ Weekend.