* www.solidarityrecordings.com

** www.undercomm.storenvy.com

Solidarity Recordings 013

Underground Communique Records 038

Track Listing:

1. Fool's Gold

2. Single File

3. Facelift

Like a lot bands, the demo tape is where it all starts. The transition from screwing around in practice to actively getting out in the world and getting their name out in the scene and hopefully finding a few fans. This was the Honor System's first shot at that.

This recording was, for a while, lost to dusty bookshelves, plastic cases stuffed under beds to be forgotten, traded away and left to rot.

...but today, we take it back.

The Honor System's original Demo Tape. Re-mastered by Dave Eck at Lucky Lacquers and slightly repackaged, but the artwork is based off the original tape sleeve

A little back-story: The Honor System formed not long after the break-up of a few well respected Chicago bands and this recording session featured the original lineup of the band, that few people outside of Chicago ever knew about: Dan Hanaway (Broadways), Tim McIlrath (Baxter-later Rise Against), Nolan McGuire, and Rob Depaola (Broadways). Dan sings on Fool's Gold and Facelift, Tim sings back up vocals on those two track and lead vocals on the unreleased track Single File. Not long after the demo was recorded Tim left the band due to his increased time spent fronting Rise Against. The band went on to release the "Single File" full length, the "100% Synthetic" EP & "the Rise and Run" album. And then ten years later this is recovered from the depths of obscurity for everyone to enjoy via a co-released 7" between Solidarity Recordings and Underground Communique Records.

We hope you enjoy it.

Why you ask?

Well for 1: Both Randy and I are complete-ist nerds, let's just get that out of the way.

...and 2: there's an exclusive song that didn't make it to the Single File album...interestingly enough called "Single File".

...and 3: it doesn't hurt that this era of the band was when Tim McIlrath was playing bass and indeed singing lead on the unreleased song and obviously singing backups on the other two. Tim, who went on to be in Rise Against, was in a lot of bands in the 1998-2000 range(RA, the Killing Tree, Arma Angelus)...and Rise Against was the one that took up most of his time and we know how THAT panned out for him.

....and 4, 5 & 6: the recording is great and they're still one of our favorite bands and this was an excuse to get to put out a record together.

www.solidarityrecordings.com

&

www.undercomm.storenvy.com

see also:

https://www.interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=53705

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this isn't more hype for something I have absolutely no interest in. Other labels get all excited and tease new releases and when they're finally announced it's "meh." Come on, Justin, don't fail me!

Andrew, you will be moderately stoked.

i hope this has something to do with some kind of tree that kills or some shit.

Matt, you will be stoked, but it's not involving Trees that Kill...though that one is not far off either.

...but in a way it is related.