ISIS - Oceanic repress (again) soon

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

robotic empire makes me hate collecting isis vinyl, too many presses and too many colors. it's cool if your an isis fan that couldn't get the record before, but if you're a collector it fuckin sucks. just do one color per press for fuck's sake.

i think i'm done w/robotic empire and isis. will not be buying this and will not buy anything from robotic empire any more

robotic surely grieves this loss

:'(

• 2 weeks later...

With ISIS releases, the band and label hash our vinyl color stuff together... so if you wanna blame anybody, blame us both.

We're not forcing anyone to buy anything though. If you already have a copy (or multiple copies) then you already have the music. I understand the completest perspective as well, but we're more interested in keeping good quality records in-print than anything else, and color vinyl is just kind of a fun/bonus thing for the mailorder folks.

Sorry if we "overdo" it or something, but this is something both the band and label like to do. If you don't like it, please feel free to just abstain from buying. We're not deliberately trying to piss people off or something, ya know?

That being said, the re-master should sound better than the previous versions, and the jacket will be a fancypants Stoughton gatefold.

Not sure on release date yet, guessing early'ish 2011 though.

I've never met so many record collectors who seem to be so anti-record collecting. I think the real issue is that people get all irritated that their records are worth less or something when represses come out, although nobody ever comes right out and admits it. If that's the case it's a pretty lame reason to be annoyed. What kind of person derives pleasure from denying pleasure to others?

With ISIS releases, the band and label hash our vinyl color stuff together... so if you wanna blame anybody, blame us both.

We're not forcing anyone to buy anything though. If you already have a copy (or multiple copies) then you already have the music. I understand the completest perspective as well, but we're more interested in keeping good quality records in-print than anything else, and color vinyl is just kind of a fun/bonus thing for the mailorder folks.

Sorry if we "overdo" it or something, but this is something both the band and label like to do. If you don't like it, please feel free to just abstain from buying. We're not deliberately trying to piss people off or something, ya know?

That being said, the re-master should sound better than the previous versions, and the jacket will be a fancypants Stoughton gatefold.

Not sure on release date yet, guessing early'ish 2011 though.

Fuck yeah! Fancy pants!

Anyway, don't apologize for keeping records in print that people want to obtain for less than eBay prices. If someone is so OCD that they "must" own EVERY version of a particular title, that's ALL on them. No one made you collect every variation. If you can't handle it financially, grow up and stop buying things you don't need.

Thank you, Robotic Empire.

And think about this: I won an auction for a first press of You Fail Me

about 6 months ago for around $41 ppd and as much as I didn't want to pay that much for a record, I did it because I had to have that particular album and didn't think I'd get another chance to get it for less than $50. Now, I can get YFM for about $15ppd from Deathwish, Inc. and by God, I'm all about it. I'm glad they repressed it. Its good for people who may not have been around for it the first time around.

I've never met so many record collectors who seem to be so anti-record collecting. I think the real issue is that people get all irritated that their records are worth less or something when represses come out, although nobody ever comes right out and admits it. If that's the case it's a pretty lame reason to be annoyed. What kind of person derives pleasure from denying pleasure to others?

DING DING DING!

personally i think labels should just let 7" go out of print, and other oddities... but proper albums for popular bands should remain available as long as people are interested in buying them

I'm all for keeping stuff in print. If the only way your records give you enjoyment is when their value goes up you may be in the wrong hobby. If you're in it for the investment opportunities then you may have more luck in the stock market.

Not saying it's wrong, it is what it is, there just may be better ways to spend your time & money.

On the same note, if a label/band sees that people are paying 3x,4x,5x the retail price for a record, it should be pretty obvious there's demand and they definitely have the right to capitalize on that and do another pressing. Do another color or a slight change in artwork or something if you have to differentiate from the early pressings. There will still be a market (albeit smaller) for the originals.

For what its worth, whenever an ISIS album drops (from us at least), there's only so many people who buy 1 of every version... as in, some but not very many people.

It'd be interesting to know what the real ratio is, but I sorta doubt 50% of the folks who'd buy it will already have a copy. Who knows though.

I have 4 copies of this on vinyl and I plan on getting this one.

I have a Trust No One, two Escape Artist's, and one Level Plane. I accumulated them all in the pursuit of the quintessential package which at this point has been the Level Plane version and because I kept getting different copies until a found the most noiseless playback (the noise I was getting on the first 3 minutes of "Weight" was unbearable). From the few details we have so far, it sounds like the Robotic Empire version could possibly trump the Level Plane in awesomeness.

I just love this album so much that I want copies that sound great and will last me the rest of my life and having high-end appointments in the package presentation only helps to venerate this masterpiece for me. I'm a vinyl nerd and an Isis nerd. Put that all together with my favorite Isis album (Oceanic) and this press, so far, sounds like a dream come true. I don't need to have every press of an album, just the best sounding, and best presented versions.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...