Bullying

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really think the main difference between us and the kids bullying now a days is cyber bullying. at least when kids were bullied at my schools their home was a safe place, and it wasnt wide spread on what he was doing. now with the internet and facebook they have to go through so much bullying at home. and kids are making facebook status that are incredibly mean and that are spread so fast around the whole school. now its everyone at the school knowing what the bullies are doing.

i think saying kids are wusses is pretty wrong. noone reacts well to bullying, and its a totally shitty situation. it hurts. especially at an age when your "figuring yourself out" i feel so bad for the kids who have taken their lives because of bullying. its so viral these days and kids can do SO much more damage than they could when we were kids

I guess, I must admit I do get a little worried thinking about this and how much worse it could get now that the wifey and I are talking about having kids and such.

I just hope we teach him/her to be strong enough to stand up for him/herself and to ignore all the negative crap that other kids would inflict.

i really think the main difference between us and the kids bullying now a days is cyber bullying. at least when kids were bullied at my schools their home was a safe place, and it wasnt wide spread on what he was doing. now with the internet and facebook they have to go through so much bullying at home. and kids are making facebook status that are incredibly mean and that are spread so fast around the whole school. now its everyone at the school knowing what the bullies are doing.

[image]

"What the fuck is the Internet?"

From what I've seen girls bully each other in a much more horrible way and they never forget.

More often than not with boys anything verbal usually at some point results in some sort of fisticuffs or at least a threat of physical violence which tends to settle the situation one way or the other, at least this was the way when I was at school.

Fisticuffs...that's a funny word...

In hindsight it's a bit inappropriate, it kind of gives the image of Victorian gents or something, all the schoolboy fights I saw involved a lot of headlocks and people standing a round in a circle shouting, I don't remember there being that many punches thrown.

i honestly didn't see much of any bullying at my school. i kinda kept to my own circle of misfits and while we weren't exactly popular, we certainly weren't harassed or made to feel unwelcome in any way. it kind of throws me to see these stories about bullying being such a big deal still. i thought it went out with the 80s.

i can't speak for glbt teens personally, but those that were suspected or even openly known as homosexual in my school weren't victimized either. surprising for a small southern town. sure we had our fair share of "goths" or what have you but they kind of stuck to their own and were left to their own.

now with all the social networking, cyberbullying is probably the biggest problem i've witnessed in recent years...but even that isn't nearly as severe as i'd imagine it would have to be to make someone commit suicide. teens, hormones...you know that stuff compounded with little pissy facebook comments and shit makes for a bigger deal than it really should be.

went to an all male high school, where the majority of kids were super privledged.....my friends and i, were the poor kids by the fact that we were scholarship kids from middle class families. Early on i caught shit from alot of people for pretty much being a dork, listening to tmbg and dead milkmen and playing magic the gathering... well sophmore year comes around.. i get more into punk/hardcore met a couple large scary friends.. i shot up like a foot and a half and put on 80lbs.... kids thought a second time before messing with any of us, and the ones that did got their heads slammed into lockers.... we paid back the favor by looking after the smaller dorks that hung out with us because they were into weird shit too.

i feel bad for kids who catch shit, especially those who don't have solid friends/family/music scene to fall back on for love. If i didnt have an awesome family, and great friends.. i could have easily seen myself doing something really stupid... probably not offing myself.. but more likely going too far in retribution of someone who fucked with me

Guest errolwest

as a dude who has recently finished highschool, the whole experience is still pretty fresh in my mind. from what i saw there wasnt a lot of bullying. off the top of my head i can only ever remember one instance where some guys were picking on a gay dude,and the rest of the class seemed to instantly get pissed off, and told them to stop. so it was never a "serious" issue.

also, i was only ever bullied in elementary school, i sort of cared, but at the same time, my thought process was basically "fuck those dudes" ive never felt compelled to kill myself or anything.

girls are awful. mean girls is still a great movie, though. exaggerated, but frighteningly not far off from real life.

which is why from like middle school on i chose to hang with dudes. SO much easier and less dramatic. teenage girls are the fucking worst.

agreed. my four best friends in the world from high school were guys, two of them being gay. my mom always thought it was hilarious that it was always allison and her guys. i still shy away from being friends with most girls. then again, now whenever i want to be friends with guys, they usually wind up wanting to date me. then the friendship is ruined.

...so i spend a lot of time with my cat and my camera.

also, i find it hilarious when girls who were in the 'popular' crowd (and who didn't outwardly bully, persay, but made it clear that they thought that they were better than everyone else) see me now and act like we were best friends in high school. bitch, please.

Kids naturally pick on those who are perceived to be the weaker individual. Survival of the fittest.

I was the quiet kid who got along with the "popular kids" and the not so popular kids. Middle man, and I still am.

The ingredients for bullying are ignorance and the satisfaction of putting another person down to make one's self feel better (for kids, that satisfaction is subconscious because they haven't made the realization of why they're bullying another person). Ignorance, to me, is genetic and parents need to be there, but the parents can easily be just as stubborn as their own child.

I was picked on for being a fat kid until junior year of high school. However, I was always the tallest kid in class so no one would actually start a fight, but I remained quiet and got pissed at myself for not being able to change or make altercations. Kids who are told to just "brush it off" should punch that person in the face because the mind can wander and come back with a knife or a gun. It's the guidance they need by someone who has been there.

I had friends with whom I played sports to back me up in case I ever got in a fight, but I would sometimes be at a point to get in a verbal fight/popularity fight with those guys because I would defend someone perceived to be 'weaker' than us.

I just know that when I have kids, I want them to be strong, but mentally strong.

i had one bully from about 3rd to 7th grade, the guy was a dick. no real reason for the bullying, i don't believe, but i was really tall and thin at a young age. he moved away, came back to school in 10th grade as a wanna be g and we never crossed paths once. he tried to add me on facebook for some reason. i've considered messaging and telling him what a piece of shit he was back then, but it wouldn't solve anything. i can't believe i was picked on by a kid with a mullet. very "O'Doyle rules!"

in high school, there was this dude who rode my bus that was an asshole to everyone. it was just his nature. but he was out of school 2-3 years before me, so i didn't really have to deal with him much.

i actively stopped a lot of bullying i saw when i was a junior and senior, whether it was older kids picking on younger or whatever. threw a few guys into lockers, nothing too physical, just enough to let them know to fuck off.