Warped Tour 2012 thread

mclz

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's all talk about how we're too cool for Warped Tour in 2011.

This is possible. Although, I did go this year and had a pretty good time. Trio, Face to Face, Dillinger Escape Plan, etc.

I'm sure some good bands will surface this year as well. The bands listed just seem like a horrible choice to start promoting with.

Or I'm just not their target audience anymore... Come to think of it, only about 200 people watched Face to Face.

Guest scottyf

I think they're announcing a few more bands each week and all the main stage ones sometime in March.

I like dance gavin dance and adtr announced that they're going to be on at a listening party for their new album I guess so I'm stoked on that. I'm sure there'll be more bands I like to come, too

The only person that I have heard talk negatively about warped tour that remotely made sense was Brendan Kelly and it was about the fact that it takes most of the bands that could headline summer tours away leaving smaller bands with no one to open for. However, it has helped a lot of smaller bands gain exposure so that point isn't completely true. I have gone every year since 2003 (sometimes twice a year). Every year people complain about the bands or the crowd, but every year I just don't see what the people on the internet are complaining about. Bands only play 30 min sets so you won't get bored (headliners play 40 now) and if you do there are 4 bands playing at once so there is usually something tolerable to watch. I bought the presale ticket and it came to like $26. Even if I had just seen 40 min sets from Alkaline Trio and Reel Big Fish that would have been worth it to me. My friends band also played to their largest crowd to date there. But on top of that I got to see VC favorites Every Time I Die, Four Year Strong, Fake Problems, Set Your Goals, Terrible Things, Mike Posner, Ace Enders... From a fans perspective it really is an amazing day.

And Jonny Craig is one of the realest niggas out there just ask Man Overboard and Transit.

So I'll be going again this year and hope to see you there.

PS - Y'all like Against Me!, Bad Religion, and Nofx secretly so don't front.

Last year's schedule at my stop was complete dildos. They had Enter Shikari, Andrew W.K., and Reel Big Fish playing before noon making my cheesesteak stop completely ruin the day.

Then I found myself with an hour and not one band I want to see playing, then Parkway Drive, Four Year Strong, and Every Time I Die playing at the exact same time.

Then it's mid-afternoon and I have literally 3 hours til the last band I wanted to see coming on. I.E. I packed it in and left.

Not that it's their fault, just shitty luck.

EDIT: For the people ragging on the current state of the Warped Tour, the last three years I have witnessed single events that made the price of admission worth it.

Last year I was there for only 5 minutes before seeing some chubby goth girl fall off a wall and smack her face on the concrete. Giant pool of blood around her head and everything. Not saying I like to see people got hurt but once she got help and was okay the act of her falling was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

The year before I got to see ADTR, run across the parking lot, and watch Flogging Molly. Totally worth it.

The year before I was sitting inside watching a band I'd never heard but had heard good things. They were about to play but on the other half of the stage this annoying girl was singing and it was terrible. So the fans that were waiting for the next band started throwing plastic bottles, shoes, whatever they could pick up at the girl singing and her annoying fans.

The band was Four Year Strong, and the girl singing was Katy Perry. It was some funny shit. Easily worth the price of ten warped tour admissions.

i'll go if it's a crossover with Ozzfest again. that was soooo awesome. ::) not only do you miss half the bands because of set times, but you miss even more trying to catch both festivals in one place on the same date! AWESOME IDEA!

shit, last few times i went, i saw a bunch of awesome bands. Joan Jett, Circa Survive, Mad Marge And The Stonecutters, The Toasters, Vaux, Atmosphere, Fivespeed, Hopesfall, The Kinison, Single Frame, A Static Lullaby, P.O.S., The Bled, etc.

i really would have liked to see The Dillinger Escape Plan and The Bronx last year but they moved the venue to a horse track like an hour away and didn't feel it was worth the drive. hell, that was probably 2 years ago. i don't even pay attention to who plays anymore as there are less and less bands of interest to see. it was always pretty cool to see over the years just to get out and see some decent bands for $30 roughly, buy a bunch of cheap merch from all the label booths, hang out with some friends and get a little sunburnt. now i'm just too old to hang out with all the kids and not feel like a child molester. haha.

But it does make me wonder why Warped Tour can't post set times the night before. Prob my one major gripe with how it's run.

They don't announce them the night before because they want everyone to get there as early in the day as possible. If they told you that Band X doesn't go on till 7:20, then you might not show up until 7, thus that's one less person through the gates (and one less potential customer at merch booths/concessions/etc.).