shitty virgil situation

podface

Gift cards are fine. I think it's an age thing. Obviously, if people still live with their parents, whatever, a gift card might be lazy, but I haven't lived under my parents' roof since 1996 and live several hours from them. Do you expect them to know enough of what I like to get me an actual gift? Why risk giving me something i won't use/wear? Is it better if I tell them exactly what to get me?

Also, cash is a tacky gift and should only be given as a wedding present.

Also, cash is a tacky gift and should only be given as a wedding present.

Who makes these rules?Why is cash not tacky as a wedding gift?

Is it really a bad thing if my little sister uses the money I give her for rent(she is poor) or food as opposed to using a gift card on something else?

people are nuts.. most gifts suck because once you're an adult you generally just buy what you want, and most people don't know you well enough to actually get you something cool.

when my dad used to still live in CT every year for his birthday i'd take him to like borders, tell him to pick out a cd and a book he wanted, and then we'd go for a beer... that way he got exactly what he wanted, and didnt have to pretend he liked whatever bullshit i picked out... and i got to spend a day with my dad.. it was pretty awesome..

This thread has taken a fantastic turn. I like gift cards in lieu of some other, shittier presents. We do a Secret Santa thing at my office and I will usually pick out a gift card for whomever I get in the lottery and tailor it to their personality. So someone will get an eBay gift card, or a Bath and Body Work gift card, whatever, so it shows that the gift is somewhat personalized but at the same time, they get to pick out what they want and get to enjoy a little shopping for free. However, I will without fail, get a goddamn bottle of nondescript, re-gifted wine every year. I HATE getting re-gifted wine because it shows absolutely no thought whatsoever. In my opinion, re-gifted wine is the ultimate DGAF present. That being said, I will always drink the wine and enjoy it since it didn't cost me anything and gets me buzzed.

Who makes these rules?Why is cash not tacky as a wedding gift?

Honestly, I thought it was common knowledge.

Cash is a cop-out as a gift. At least with a gift card you made some attempt to put some thought into it. Cash says you couldn't be bothered to go through the trouble to actually get something.

As a wedding gift cash is seen as the most practical because traditionally cash received as a wedding gift was intended to be used toward a down payment for a house or now necessary household items for the married couple.

I fucking WISH I could get the message across to my mother that I want an Amazon.com gift card. That way I can buy the new Sprint EVO 4G phone. I've mentioned it a few times and she still doesn't get it.

Sad thing is... she'll end up getting me a gift card but to some other merchant. :(