Headphones

derek123

Thanks impact. That review is really good on the ATH-M50. But he says that they lack some aggressiveness for rock. But, thats coming from someone reviewing headphones, so hes probably just spoiled on expensive cans. Are they nice and sealed? I'll probably end up getting these, they are very affordable. I've heard good things about ultrasone HFI-580's too. but they're a little more expensive. I'm not gonna get all audiophile, I just want some headphones that sound really good.

i love grado headphones but they're a definite love them or hate them sort of product. they don't isolate the sound whatsoever but are at the same time really transparent so sometimes it sounds as if you just have really good speakers in the room and aren't wearing headphones at all. but i'd definitely suggest trying a pair before committing to them.

i love grado headphones but they're a definite love them or hate them sort of product. they don't isolate the sound whatsoever but are at the same time really transparent so sometimes it sounds as if you just have really good speakers in the room and aren't wearing headphones at all. but i'd definitely suggest trying a pair before committing to them.

I agree. I own a pair of sr-80s amazing sound quality. But downsides are uncomfortability and useless in a noisy enviroment

I have the Audio Technica ATH M 30's and I like 'em. Although they're definitely not audiophile grade I think for their price they are pretty tough to beat in the $50 - $100 price range. I would like to upgrade them to some of the 'phones on this thread at some point, though. http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM30-ATH-M30-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00007E7C8

For earbuds I have the Klipsch IMAGE S4 In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphones and am really happy with those, too. http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-IMAGE-S4-Noise-Isolating-Headphones/dp/B001V9LPT4/ref=pd_ts_e_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

I got some JVC Blck slim headphones a couple months ago, went slim because I take my iPod everywhere and wanted something really mobile. They were about $60 and sound really good to me. The drivers are carbon fiber... great low end. Drums are super defined.

They also have a DJ model that are bigger and look more comfortable, and I think the drivers are even a little bigger. Anyways, I'd recommend either of those. I was gonna return them after a week because they weren't super comfy at first (memory foam padding took a while to settle in) but kept them mainly because of the sound.

The wire on the Audio Technica M 30's seems really thick—I am pretty hard on my headphones and the only wear I've had on mine are around the ear cups. I emailed AT about it and they sent me a new set of them for free even though mine headphones were over their warranty. Awesome customer service... I can only imagine the M 50's would be even better, wire-wise since it's a higher quality product.

Thanks for all the info everyone. Grados, those things are everywhere. After researching a bunch of headphones, I think I hear more good things about them, than any. But, Closed, no outside noise cans are really what I need. So, i'm still debating between the Audio-Technica ATH-M50, and the Ultrasone HFI-580.

the best bang for your buck will be these:

ATH-M50

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH....30744 45&sr=8-1

if you search around, you may be able to get a pair for 100 bucks..

I got mine for 95 shipped on eBay about 4 months ago

Was that with a BIN or auction?

I've been on the fence between these and a pair of Grados. Leaning towards the M50s, but I haven't been able to find anything (in stock) that's close to $100. Guess I'll just keep waiting for the right opportunity.

*edit*

Randomly clicked the link in your post that I quoted - they're $108 at Amazon, 46% off. I had checked that link earlier, and they were God-honestly $140+. No idea why they suddenly fluctuated in price, but I'm considering pulling the trigger on them.

Yeah, headphones on Amazon fluctuate in price a LOT, plus there's an occasional mistype :) A month or so ago a seller listed the ATH-M50 for $11 instead of $110 (that was the going price then) and sold 20 or 30 pairs before noticing the error. The funny thing is that the seller actually sent out all the orders. Wouldn't mind getting them for $11 myself :)

To the OP, you can't miss with either the M50 or HFI-580.