Verizon iPhone

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an unlimited data plan with AT&T. Had it since before they decided to 86 it and no longer it offer it to new customers. Hopefully...and Scott A. has said it is so...once I switch to the iPhone4 and renew my AT&T contract I'll still retain that unlimited plan.

you'll be able to keep it. My family has had a ridiculous family plan for like 9 years now. For some reason they thought my dad worked for Coke and gave us like a 35% discount so we can't change our plan or the price gets ridiculous but we can do add ons (ie. text, data, etc.)

People, they're putting out a new iPhone in July.

Why the fuck would anyone buy one right now? That's right, Americans can't wait for shit.

It's not so black/white.

Let's say you have a really crappy phone right now, I'd say upgrade!

The iPhone that will come out in July will probably be a minor update like the 3G > 3GS. So if you get a new one now, your contract will be up in time for the iPhone 6, which will be a substantial update over the 4.

That's just my speculation, but it seems reasonable w/ how the iPhone update schedule has gone so far.

i'd say android and iphones are pretty similar in the great majority of basic ways. iphones are more intuitively easier to use and seem to have more apps designed specifically for them (but i think the playing field in that regard is slowly being leveled) while android phones seem to be more customizable (if you're a techy person and into that sort of thing). there's also more options/the technology is updated more rapidly because of the scores of companies in competition with each other manufacturing them.

I don't understand why people need the top-of-the-top-of-the-line technology at every second. Shit moves so fast. I had a flip phone until 3 months ago, and now I have a Droid X which is a serious upgrade, obviously. I'm going to keep my Droid X until it's useless, then go on to whatever the hell is next.

The whole "don't buy it because something better is coming!" argument seems dumb to me because no shit, something better is ALWAYS coming.

The whole "don't buy it because something better is coming!" argument seems dumb to me because no shit, something better is ALWAYS coming.

Although I agree with you in most respects, this argument is not great in this situation for numerous reasons:

- Not a long time to wait until the next gen.

- 2 year contracts with cell phones unless you are ballin' and can afford to pay retail.

- Next Verizon IPhone should be LTE compatible. (Faster speeds, talk/internet at the same time)

- Existing phones with better hardware

I say that, but I'm still using the 1st gen IPhone. haha

Time to upgrade. I was going to go wtih the new Verizon Iphone, but the lack of LTE is pushing me towards Android. :-/

only upside the Verizon has will be coming to AT&T as well:

The new beta confirms rumors that Apple would add its new Personal Hotspot feature to existing GSM iPhones with iOS 4.3. The functionality allows users to share their 3G data connection with up to five devices over Wi-Fi. Those reports claimed that Apple plans to publicly release iOS 4.3 in March.

and factor in that with Verizon you can't use voice & data at the same time.

unless your area just has shitty reception with AT&T, Verizon isn't worth it.

The new beta confirms rumors that Apple would add its new Personal Hotspot feature to existing GSM iPhones with iOS 4.3. The functionality allows users to share their 3G data connection with up to five devices over Wi-Fi. Those reports claimed that Apple plans to publicly release iOS 4.3 in March.

I was very happy when I saw this today. side note 4.3 for the ipad should be pretty awesome, too.

As long as AT&T doesn't charge an arm and leg for it and make you alter your contract. See: Tethering.

Can someone with a Verizon smartphone that has mobile wifi hotspot capability answer something for me?

An AT&T fanboy in my database class claims that if you're using your Verizon phone as a mobile wifi hotspot and your phone rings, it cuts your wifi off even if you ignore the call. Same thing if you're using the internet on your phone. I can't imagine that your internet would cut out just because someone calls you. Is this true?

Can someone with a Verizon smartphone that has mobile wifi hotspot capability answer something for me?

An AT&T fanboy in my database class claims that if you're using your Verizon phone as a mobile wifi hotspot and your phone rings, it cuts your wifi off even if you ignore the call. Same thing if you're using the internet on your phone. I can't imagine that your internet would cut out just because someone calls you. Is this true?

CDMA phones are unable to process data and voice at the same time. I'm not sure how it works w/ a hot spot, but say for example you're on a call with someone and you want to look up directions w/ Google Maps, you can't do it. Or if you're on hold and want to check your e-mail, you can't do it.

CDMA phones are unable to process data and voice at the same time. I'm not sure how it works w/ a hot spot, but say for example you're on a call with someone and you want to look up directions w/ Google Maps, you can't do it. Or if you're on hold and want to check your e-mail, you can't do it.
I understand that part. My question is if you have an incoming call and you ignore it, can you seamlessly continue browsing (on phone or wifi hotspot)? AT&T fanboy claims that the incoming call cuts off your connection regardless of whether you choose to receive or ignore it.