new get up kids.

some of you guys are nuts the album is awesome. did you really expect a bunch of men in their 30's to make another swya ?

no, but I'd expect them to not record it with a tape recorder put in the corner of a room. The production is so so bad especially vocal-wise, I don't even want to listen to it again because of it...

some of you guys are nuts the album is awesome. did you really expect a bunch of men in their 30's to make another swya ?

If The Get Up Kids made an album like Stay What You Are, it would probably be incredible. Even if they just covered it, it would be a million times better than this new album.

This new Get Up Kids album is an enraging snoozefest.

If The Get Up Kids made an album like Stay What You Are, it would probably be incredible. Even if they just covered it, it would be a million times better than this new album.

I have no idea what makes this an enraging snoozefest. It's so good.

I have no idea what makes this an enraging snoozefest. It's so good.

Listening to this album just makes me mad. I can't stand the bass distortion and vocal distortion on every song. The songs lack variety, and just drone on and on and on. I vividly remember hearing "Keith Case" on the STWHA 10th Anniversary tour, and thinking this is really bad, I hope its a cover song I don't recognize. I was disappointed then, disappointed with the ep, and disappointed with the album.

It's just not for me.

"Keith Case" is about the only song that's really memorable, and that was on "Simple Science." The first couple tracks are interesting, in that they're in a new direction, but the sound is fairly static throughout. It's not like they move around a lot within the sonic framework they've set up for themselves. The Popes' work on this album stands out more than anything else: if anything, the drums on "There Are Rules" are totally monster. It's got a really big sonic footprint - it's just a shame that it doesn't really ever build upward.

I think this album is incredible. Granted, I'm a little "older" and my tastes in music have changed over the years, and there's always room in my heart for Four Minute Mile and Something To Write Home About. All the same, this album is a fantastic listen and a great addition to their discography. "When It Dies" is one of my favorite songs of the year so far.

I can't believe so many people expect this band to sound the same with each album as they did over 10 years ago. I remember hearing this same backlash when they released Guilt Show (which I also think is terrific).

I don't expect them to write another STWHA. I don't even like that album. And I think it's bullshit that people who like this album write off people who dislike it as not understanding that it's a 'more mature effort' or some other such crap. This album to me just sounds like a bunch of teenagers attempting to make an album for the pitchfork crowd, and not a bunch of 30 somethings drawing on all of the influences that they've had over the last 15 years and creating something exciting. It's not a logical progression to their sound at all. While it isn't my favorite album, The Guilt Show makes perfect sense as something the guys that wrote Four Minute Mile would write ten years later. There Are Rules just strikes me as a flailing attempt to remain relevant.