What's everyone's favorite venue for shows?

slymer

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hands-down favorite venue in LA is the Troubadour. Goddamn that place is awesome.

And the Wiltern is pretty awesome for larger shows.

Chain Reaction = hit and miss. It really depends who's playing (as some people have already mentioned), and security can be a pain in the ass at times.

The Glass House in Pomona isn't too bad either; it's just so far out of the way. But -- free parking!!

Not many favorites here in South Florida, that's for damn sure...but I'll be a sport and list a few faves...

Club Revolution, FTL - Inside shows are much better than when they have them in the outside patio area.

The Culture Room, FTL - For the most part I hate it there...but it all depends on how packed it gets.

Middle East, Boston, MA - I have to say that it's my favorite venue of all. The few times I have been to shows there it has been a blast and I like the way it's set up

House of Blues, Orlando, FL - Another venue that I really love to see bands at.

Not many favorites here in South Florida, that's for damn sure...but I'll be a sport and list a few faves...

Club Revolution, FTL - Inside shows are much better than when they have them in the outside patio area.

The Culture Room, FTL - For the most part I hate it there...but it all depends on how packed it gets.

Middle East, Boston, MA - I have to say that it's my favorite venue of all. The few times I have been to shows there it has been a blast and I like the way it's set up

House of Blues, Orlando, FL - Another venue that I really love to see bands at.

I like revolution, hob is good for us old timers, but culture room always leaves a bad taste in my mouth

I hate Culture Room for numerous reasons...the main one is the lack of space in there. Especially when it comes to bands who will draw large crowds. For the Minus the Bear show there I started to get squished towards the end of their set...I ended up walking outside and hanging out with Steven, the band's merch guy...and somewhat assisting him in selling merch...

Same thing when I saw Poison The Well...I wanted to hang back and enjoy the show but there were quite a few meatheads bro'ing it up and being excessively mosh-y...oh well...

I hate Culture Room for numerous reasons...the main one is the lack of space in there. Especially when it comes to bands who will draw large crowds. For the Minus the Bear show there I started to get squished towards the end of their set...I ended up walking outside and hanging out with Steven, the band's merch guy...and somewhat assisting him in selling merch...

Same thing when I saw Poison The Well...I wanted to hang back and enjoy the show but there were quite a few meatheads bro'ing it up and being excessively mosh-y...oh well...

sounds about right, I saw gwar there once and it was not fun, and how could a gwar show not be fun

in jacksonville:

It used to be thee Imperial but they just closed down a couple months ago. small place and all the hardcore bands would stop in there and on non show nights they had DJs playing 80s, indie and punk rock music. It went through several names and was even RockNRoll Pizza for a while and nothing is better than watch a punk show, drinkin beers and eatin pizza.

There was a place called the pit, that was pretty cool. it was kinda like a big storage place that held maybe 50 people and back in the day they would have shows inside. saw evergreen terrace in there a few times. Later they just had people set up in the fenced in parking area and have outside shows. i got to watch the evans there which was unfucking real, plus shows would never be over 5 bucks and you could bring your own beers in to the shows. But i have heard they no longer have shows now.

Orlando: i always enjoyed the Social. it was small but sounded good when i caught alkaline trio and hot rod circuit and a couple other shows.

Tampa/st. pete: Growing up i pretty much lived in St Pete venues. i must have gone to 2 shows a week just about every week for 5 years. Shows at the State Theatre were always the most fun ever, however i havent been there in ages and i heard the sound is terrible there now. Jannus Landing was always nice for bigger shows. it is basically a large courtyard between some buildings in downtown st. pete. Saw my very first punk rock show there in 1994 - bad religion and snfu on the stranger than fiction tour.

and for a larger venue it was somewhat easy to find a way into sold out shows, but im sure that has changed now.

And in Ybor city i have been to killer shows at the orphium

Gainesville. like everyone said the common grounds are always fun. i just hate the 1.5 hour drive home at the end of the night.

I'm a sucker for the knitting factory ny's tap bar.

No stage, 2someodd beers on tap, usually killer bands...

The only issue I have is if the band is even remotly big they move the show to the mainspace(or just have it there) and then there's these damn pillars in the way.

Other places I like:

Bowery ballroom (nyc)

Maxwell's (hoboken,nj)

Toad's place (new haven, ct)

First unitarian church (philly)

Starland ballroom (sayerville, nj)

And if its a larger show: nokia theatre times square

There's this really cool new place in St. Louis called MADART. It's an old abandoned police station near the Budweiser brewery. They took the parking garage and fixed it up all nice for all sorts of art shit.....it's sort of a gallery, but they'll have "performances" and shows and stuff there. They have brand new, nice ass bathrooms, and you can even hang out in the holding cells! I ate dinner in there. Good times. I have no idea what kind of shows they have there though. Definitely artsier indie shit I assume.

Big Room:

Aragon Ballroom (Chicago, IL)

Tiny Room:

El N' Gee (New London, CT)

Medium Room:

Exit/In (Nashville, TN)

Webster Theater (Hartford, CT)

No Longer Exists:

Indienet (Nashville, TN)

B.R.Y.C.C. House (Louisville, KY)

Hanover House (Meriden, CT)

328 Performance Hall (Nashville, TN)

The Glass House in Pomona isn't too bad either; it's just so far out of the way. But -- free parking!!

Glass House is cool because like you said, free parking. There's also ins and outs for everyone, which is great. However, they rarely have good shows there anymore. I think I've been to two shows there since last June. The best part is I always get on the guest list since I know people who work there. The record store rules, though!

Glass House is cool because like you said, free parking. There's also ins and outs for everyone, which is great. However, they rarely have good shows there anymore. I think I've been to two shows there since last June. The best part is I always get on the guest list since I know people who work there. The record store rules, though!

Agreed on all points.

I went to Cal Poly, and they had a TON of good shows there when I was in college. But I don't think I've been back since.

the glasshouse still has good enough shows for me - ive been there a couple times in the last few months......i think my favorite part is how if you keep walking down the street away from the venue you end up in 1943

I swear you walk down a bit and cross that major street, I could swear I'm in a horror movie. Its really weird. Decent venue, saw Pretty Girls there on their farewell tour.

I'd like the throw a vote in for the Subterranean in Chicago. The sound can be hit or miss but it's the perfect size, the beer is reasonably priced, and I have seen some killer shows there.

Also just went to the new Reggie's the other night. I have a feeling I will be spending a lot of time there. It was pretty sweet.

If they can figure out how to make this concept work for a concert, it'd immediately jump to #1 on my list: http://dinnerinthesky.com/

(If that isn't bat-shit fucking crazy, I don't know what is...)

Wow. That would be like hell on earth if you were afraid of heights.

Also, when I imagine trying to turn that into a venue, all I can imagine is people stage diving their way into oblivion.

the glasshouse still has good enough shows for me - ive been there a couple times in the last few months......i think my favorite part is how if you keep walking down the street away from the venue you end up in 1943

theres a couple other places on that same block that do shows as well, or they used to. the taco place down at the other end would have small local bands play, and across the street from that is an awesome bar that has more like classic rock bands.

just curious, did anyone ever goto hully gullys in downey? i used to help putting on all the shows there