What's everyone's favorite venue for shows?

slymer

chain reaction

It can be, when its not totally over-populated by certain types of people. I haven't seen many good shows there in a while.

chain reaction

I saw a video of Stick to Your Guns there, it looks amazing.

Its an old restaurant (I think) so its got this odd partition where people sit. It separates the floor from the entry. Its kind of an odd setup. Its all all-ages so no beer sucks some nights. But man-oh-man I saw Pretty Girls Make Graves there and it was packed. They hit the first note and whole floor moved together, that was intense.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chain reaction

It can be, when its not totally over-populated by certain types of people. I haven't seen many good shows there in a while.

yeah, they can have a lot of shit - but when there are good shows, i dunno, it just seems to actually connect the band and the crowd and have more of a community feel then anywhere else

Guest falloutcollapse

?

douchey white belt scenesters

Oh, got it. That sucks dude, I haven't been to a show with a lot of those in a while. But lately, the shows have been having huge huge dudes in the pit that think it's fun to just hate for no reason.

First Unitarian Church in Philly.

Middle East in Cambridge would easily be on top of the list if I were able to go ape shit and not get kicked out. Although I understand their reasoning, so its still up there.

My buddies house, Fort Fuck Awesome in Allston, was wicked rad. They had to stop doing shows this past weekend though due to plain clothes police showing up.

It was Slims in San Francisco, but that closed down :(...Smaller ones is Slims...

What what what? Do you mean the Pound? it was cool, great sound but it was a little too metalhead for me.

Also, since Aaron mentioned Common Grounds, it's all about 1982 FTW! Seriously, sparks, NES and Bomb the Music Industry! That was by far, my favorite Gainesville spot.

It was Slims in San Francisco, but that closed down :(...Smaller ones is Slims...

What what what? Do you mean the Pound? it was cool, great sound but it was a little too metalhead for me.

Also, since Aaron mentioned Common Grounds, it's all about 1982 FTW! Seriously, sparks, NES and Bomb the Music Industry! That was by far, my favorite Gainesville spot.

Shit you are right.. It was the Pound that was me trying to type faster than my brain

I have seen some really sweaty and fun shows at The Grog Shop(both old and new) in Cleveland.

i was at the Grog Shop on the Bomb tour I did and that place did ruuuulle!

plus they fed us at a really amazing burrito place up the street.

I lived in Cleveland for a few years and the Grog Shop is by far the best venue I've been to. The size is just right, the temperature and ventilation are always good (even in the summer).

In Philly, it begins and ends with the church basement. It's awful in the summer, but there is a certain intimacy to the basement. Plus they get a ton of good shows.

Mine is definitely The Casbah in San Diego (by the airport). I love everything about the place. Never had a bad time. Good sound, good beer prices, the staff is cool. It's 21+ and only holds around 200 people. Every time I go there I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Just saw DTR there for the 3rd time Saturday night. It was incredible.

http://www.casbahmusic.com/

So let's hear what everyone else's favorite is.

Heck yea, that place is awesome. I'm also pretty fond of the glass house in pomona.

I really enjoy the Troubadour. The venue is really small and the floor layout is setup so that there's not a bad spot in the house. Even when you're on the balcony you feel like you're right on top of the band. You can also feel the history in that place, I always really love going there. The worst part is the cost of beer. $6 for a 12 oz. can of Bud Light and $7+ for imported beer is pretty ridiculous. That's LA for ya, though.

That is my favorite venue for shows, although its rare that I go to a real venue these days to see bands. Most of the shows I go to and are in bars or basements and they're usually the best.

I have a very soft spot in my heart for Gabe's Oasis in Iowa City -- it was the only place within an hour of where I went to college that did shows with any consistency, and I saw some awesome ones there over my four years (Brand New/Pretty Girls Make Graves/Fairweather, Jets To Brazil, the Jealous Sound (2x), the Promise Ring/Schatzi, Duvall, Hot Water Music/Leatherface, Get Up Kids/Hey Mercedes, Mates Of State, Breaking Pangaea, the Gadjits, Rival Schools/The Ghost, Volcano I'm Still Excited!!, Karate, Dashboard Confessional/The Anniversary/Ben Kweller, etc.). The club was very similar to the Fireside in its utter filth, only there was one catch: It was on the second floor of the building (the first floor was a bar). Bands had to load in up this rickety old fire escape on the outside of the building, and in the winter, that thing froze over in a split second.

The greatest thing about it (besides the abundance of free parking located around it, as well as a Jimmy John's in very close proximity to it) was that it was pretty much the only place for a touring band to play between Omaha and Chicago on I-80. So it would get shows of bands that could easily sell out the Metro or bigger (JTB, Dashboard, Get Up Kids, etc.) but shrink it down to a 400-capacity room. The Brand New show I saw there (it was their tour with the Movielife, but everyone came for BN) was one of the most insane shows I have ever attended.

The other great thing is that they almost always had killer local/regional acts opening shows there. I discovered a whole bunch of bands from going to those shows, like the Forecast and Death Ships.

Gabe's shut its doors in 2004 briefly, and a rumor circulated that it was being turned into a gay bar, then all of the sudden it reopened as the Picador -- http://www.thepicador.com/ -- I haven't been there since the re-opening, so I don't know if it's any cleaner or under new management or anything; all I know is their website is much, much nicer than the old Gabe's one.

i've been to the middle east more times than any other venue.

i'm shocked people like slims, that'd be like me saying axis was my favorite venue.

thee parkside was my favorite bar venue while i was out west.

there have been great venues over the years that don't exist anymore, and other great venues most people/bands overlook, like the abbey lounge, which has been picking up steam again lately.