"Their markup is so high"...

robx

So I've been reading this a lot on here. In the Urban Outfitters thread, in some of the record store threads, and just in general on here. It's really irritating, especially when the sentence ends with "I'd just order it online" when you're talking about an independent store.

I've worked in a record store for a long time. Not as long as some, but longer than most. I can say from my experience, that not every store gets the same price. I know, this isn't some earth-shattering commentary, but people keep forgetting it. Most independent stores order from the same 5-10 "big" distros (a few are actually umbrella distros run and owned by majors, but it's the only way to get a lot of shit people on here love), but the price difference if you are only ordering from a one-stop as compared to a more niche distributor (no idea, t'n'g, dischord, etc.) is substantial. So some local store in your area might have a record for a few dollars more than whatever distro you're looking at online, especially with punk stuff.

The other thing that people on here rarely mention when saying "the store is alright, but they jack up their prices so much!" is that there is a fucking overhead in some stores that is astronomically higher than in others. If the store on whatever mainstreet your town has has to have a markup of 40% instead of 30%, it probably has less to do with them wanting to rip people off, and more to do with them wanting to pay for that expensive storefront.

Now I'm not saying that every store is doing the "right thing" and trying to give punks the best price, what I'm saying is that when people complain about jacked-up prices, they are almost always talking out of their asses. There are bad stores, and there are good stores, but support local independent stores as much as you can, and fuck ebay stores, fuck fake-ass distros that do "preorders" of shit that they shouldn't be, and shop local.

I order from wherever the lowest price is and am unapologetic about it. I support the artists and the labels, not the in betweens. Saving $3 on everything I buy means I buy one more record for every three or so I buy, which means that I could be exposed to a new band that could make my short list. The music is what is important to me.

I don't need that "community" feeling that is the only argument anyone can really make for paying more to buy from a physical store. I get that from places like this, and arguably better than at the local store.

Sorry if you don't agree, but I'm not leading a campaign to get rid of the old system. I don't need to. If it was providing a service that was in demand, though, it wouldn't be dying.

I understand why people order from online stores, but if you don't understand why there is a need for a physical store, then you are not a part of the music community that I grew up in, and am an active part in.

physical stores provide things more than a place to buy records.

it's really sad that today people into punk feel like they get more community on a messageboard, than in their own city, but if that's where you are, who am I to say different.

I will point out that a lot of good bands wouldn't be bands you like without record stores, and by not supporting them, you are indeed hurting the ability of artists in the future to survive.

Gaslight anthem played the store I work at well before anyone cared about them. it was a stop on a tour to get somewhere. people on here love that band, and maybe this little quip will help someone realize why record stores need to survive.

also, where do you buy used stuff? just ebay?

I try to shop local stores, but they don't often carry titles I'm interested in. I've asked about ordering, but they generally tell me that they don't have a means of ordering from a particular label, or the particular label's releases I'm asking about tend to not sell very well, and as such, are not stocked.

Urban Outfitters isn't a local music store and their markup really is "so high".

It'd be really nice to believe that record stores still had that sense of "community" that you're speaking of, but more often it's a case of snotty, know-everything employees who would rather look cool working at the store than helping you find what you're looking for.

As for the bands that will suffer without stores around... well that's why we have the internet. Between myspace, facebook, twitter, tumblr, youtube, vimeo, message boards like this one and word of mouth those same bands have the ability to not only get notice but get noticed faster and by a larger audience than ever before.

I try to shop local stores, but they don't often carry titles I'm interested in. I've asked about ordering, but they generally tell me that they don't have a means of ordering from a particular label, or the particular label's releases I'm asking about tend to not sell very well, and as such, are not stocked.

in phoenix there is that store near the skate shop (is that in mesa?) and the other spot that has all the records in the back and a really good dvd selection, right? I bought good stuff there over the summer, but it was all used stuff that I never thought I'd see.

A lot of stores really can't order certain stuff. Lots of labels that post on here never look for distribution, because via e-hype, package deals, etc. they don't need to distribute. And there are stores out there that know that stocking stuff by certain labels won't move at all so it's not worth it to them. that sucks sometimes, but I'm betting if you hassle them enough you can get them to order some stuff. Again though, it might not even be distributed.

Urban Outfitters isn't a local music store and their markup really is "so high".

It'd be really nice to believe that record stores still had that sense of "community" that you're speaking of, but more often it's a case of snotty, know-everything employees who would rather look cool working at the store than helping you find what you're looking for.

As for the bands that will suffer without stores around... well that's why we have the internet. Between myspace, facebook, twitter, tumblr, youtube, vimeo, message boards like this one and word of mouth those same bands have the ability to not only get notice but get noticed faster and by a larger audience than ever before.

where in socal do you live? There are a handful of really amazing stores there, and sure they might have a few employees that are lame, but stores still rule. and like I said before, do you guys just buy used stuff via ebay? I buy at least as many used records as new, and wouldn't want to "flip through records" via ebay instead of in person.

in phoenix there is that store near the skate shop (is that in mesa?) and the other spot that has all the records in the back and a really good dvd selection, right? I bought good stuff there over the summer, but it was all used stuff that I never thought I'd see.

A lot of stores really can't order certain stuff. Lots of labels that post on here never look for distribution, because via e-hype, package deals, etc. they don't need to distribute. And there are stores out there that know that stocking stuff by certain labels won't move at all so it's not worth it to them. that sucks sometimes, but I'm betting if you hassle them enough you can get them to order some stuff. Again though, it might not even be distributed.

I believe you're thinking of Eastside Records in Tempe, which was next to a skate shop. Unfortunately, they closed shop earlier in the year.

And don't get me wrong, I still go to the stores often, and do occasionally find decent things in the used bins, but rarely am I able to find anything new.

I've heard people say things like this, but I've never had an experience like that IRL. I've had good conversations with countless record store owners and employees.

I wish I had a local store that I could go to and support.

I understand why people order from online stores, but if you don't understand why there is a need for a physical store, then you are not a part of the music community that I grew up in, and am an active part in.

physical stores provide things more than a place to buy records.

it's really sad that today people into punk feel like they get more community on a messageboard, than in their own city, but if that's where you are, who am I to say different.

I will point out that a lot of good bands wouldn't be bands you like without record stores, and by not supporting them, you are indeed hurting the ability of artists in the future to survive.

Gaslight anthem played the store I work at well before anyone cared about them. it was a stop on a tour to get somewhere. people on here love that band, and maybe this little quip will help someone realize why record stores need to survive.

also, where do you buy used stuff? just ebay?

In decreasing order of how often I use them--Message Boards, Physical Stores, Ebay.

If I am looking for a specific record I usually use the internet. If I just have an extra $20 to blow and feel like leafing through the record stacks, I go to a physical store. I have never once felt obligated to support them, though. I go because that is where I want to shop.

And about the Gaslight thing, I am probably in the first 1% to hear them. I streamed sink or swim on punknews.org, bought a black 1st press from punkstop.com, and watched all the hype build up on the vinylcollective board. Maybe some other bands need the exposure of an independent store because they are just on the borderline of "making it" or "not making it", but Gaslight was going to be popular if they never even toured. Too much talent...

I order from wherever the lowest price is and am unapologetic about it. I support the artists and the labels, not the in betweens. Saving $3 on everything I buy means I buy one more record for every three or so I buy, which means that I could be exposed to a new band that could make my short list. The music is what is important to me.

I don't need that "community" feeling that is the only argument anyone can really make for paying more to buy from a physical store. I get that from places like this, and arguably better than at the local store.

Sorry if you don't agree, but I'm not leading a campaign to get rid of the old system. I don't need to. If it was providing a service that was in demand, though, it wouldn't be dying.

all of this

As much as I want to support the last record store in town, I don't think I've ever paid full price for a new record. It's hard to justify paying $5 more for an album just because I want to support the store. I have gotten plenty of great used albums and 7"s there, because they're around $8-$12 and $2-$5, respectively. Much more reasonable.

I don't know how many record stores we have here (maybe 10+) and i've never really encountered holier than though employees. maybe i'm just old and not naive and am not treated as such.

i try to support every local record store i can when i can. mostly because for a while my local stores closed (sound exchange / sound on sound) and i always supported them because they carried a lot of music i wanted, help support touring bands who otherwise may not have gotten a show at one of the other venues, etc etc. not to mention the employees were awesome to bullshit with from time to time. it's sad when they do close, because it's like a good friend died and you're stuck alone again. sure i can get a record cheaper somewhere else, but when it comes down to it, those extra buck or two for the good times and talk were well worth it. i'd rather support the local stores where i can hang out and bullshit than "interpunk" or whatever distro of the week has a sale.

then again i'm just old and see it differently. it's like supporting mom & pop stores (that care about their customers) than the chain stores who can afford to buy in buik and not give a shit except to make the almighty $.

I got some cool 90's amrep stuff there for next to nothing.

well, what did you get?! i never see any good amrep stuff around town that i want, probably because everyone else that's local wants it too.

i usually order new stuff label direct more than anything, sometimes from local stores if i haven't blown all my money online or else from a band at a show. i buy most of my used records from either a local store (and usually they're beat up), the sales thread on the board, discogs (where tons of record stores sell their stock anyway), etc. i rarely resort to ebay unless i'm desperate for a record and even then it's usually way too much to consider wasting money on. i love flipping through records, you just never know what random records you're going to come across in a store. i've always supported local stores but sometimes it's just way easier to sit online and browse threads or have a wishlist on discogs to find what you're after eventually.

i've come across PLENTY of elitist record store snobs, i just don't care what their attitude is. i'm going to buy the records i want from them regardless.

I got some cool 90's amrep stuff there for next to nothing.

i've come across PLENTY of elitist record store snobs, i just don't care what their attitude is. i'm going to buy the records i want from them regardless.

why haven't i come across these people? usually if i come across music snobs it's the stupid kid at OFFICE MAX who thinks every other form of music sux because they listen to irrelevant screamo like it's some new thing no one knows about because we have gray hair. :-[

:P

there's no store close by me; i have to drive around 45 minutes to the closest one, and even then, the selection of records is pretty limited, as they mostly have used LPs from the 80s backwards. their prices are pretty comparable to those on the internet; mostly because i factor shipping in. however, by the time i pay for the 3 or so gallons of gas it takes me to get there, it costs me far more to buy from my 'local' shop.

there's no store close by me; i have to drive around 45 minutes to the closest one, and even then, the selection of records is pretty limited, as they mostly have used LPs from the 80s backwards. their prices are pretty comparable to those on the internet; mostly because i factor shipping in. however, by the time i pay for the 3 or so gallons of gas it takes me to get there, it costs me far more to buy from my 'local' shop.

This is totally where I'm at, I'd be more willing to support a local shop if there were one closer than an hour away from me. I made the effort to go up to Milwaukee one day on my day off a while ago and picked up some things, but with the cost of gas plus the cost of how much the records were, it just wasn't worth it for me. I grew up in Syracuse, NY and we had a few local record stores I'd go to all the time(at least once a week) so I miss it alot and would love to be able to have it again. But ordering online just seems like the most reasonable answer now.