Dredg - Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try not to allow opinions to prematurely determine my verdict on an album. Especially if they're from people who've only played the album once, and immediately compare it to the rest of the band's work. Which seems to be almost everyone, sadly. But for what it's worth, the common opinion seems to be that Chuckles is just... bad. Or mediocre at best. I'll be saving my own opinion for an official listen, when something of quality surfaces.

When I listened to Chuckles I wasn't like "Wow this doesn't sound anything like their previous work, so it totally sucks!"

I listened to Chuckles for what it was, and didn't like it for what it was.

When I listened to Chuckles I wasn't like "Wow this doesn't sound anything like their previous work, so it totally sucks!"

Perfectly understandable, since that does indeed happen from time to time. I just get a kick out of kids who shoot down a band's newest release because it's "too different" after the first listen... and then praise the album a few months later. Folks are just too quick to judge, in my opinion.

But if it's different and entirely bad, that's a whole different story.

Either way, I'm kind of eager to hear this album for new reasons, now. Namely to see where all the hate is coming from.

Perfectly understandable, since that does indeed happen from time to time. I just get a kick out of kids who shoot down a band's newest release because it's "too different" after the first listen... and then praise the album a few months later. Folks are just too quick to judge, in my opinion.

But if it's different and entirely bad, that's a whole different story.

Either way, I'm kind of eager to hear this album for new reasons, now. Namely to see where all the hate is coming from.

I know what you mean, man. Been seeing so many people on other websites completely bashing this album. Saying stupid shit like, "These guys have lost all musical talent." and "Guess it's time for dredg to stop making music." It's ridiculous. ::)

I think one of the main reasons it sounds so different is because they worked with a hip-hop producer on this album.

I'm all for bands trying new stuff and experimenting with their sound, but this didn't work for dredg in my eyes.

I try not to allow opinions to prematurely determine my verdict on an album. Especially if they're from people who've only played the album once, and immediately compare it to the rest of the band's work. Which seems to be almost everyone, sadly. But for what it's worth, the common opinion seems to be that Chuckles is just... bad. Or mediocre at best. I'll be saving my own opinion for an official listen, when something of quality surfaces.

this.

i'm giving it a third listen right now and aside from some of the melodies (which can be pretty good) i just don't like this.

i also have a feeling the rest of the band felt kind of left out, because it sounds like it's mostly just gavin, and dan.

also, most of the lyrical content is fucking awful. gavin has been known for his bad poetry and laughable lyrics in the past, but some of his worst is definitely found here.

p.s.

this album sounds great on a good stereo, reguardless of content. so thumbs up on the production value.

see, i have a compliment for this album after all.

I just listened to Catch Without Arms for the first time in a year or so.... it's amazing. Using guitar as texturing is nice. And I noticed this isn't one of those digitally clipped albums. Makes for a very enjoyable listen.

I'm also about half way through the last album, it's much better than I remember. Also has anyone else heard the SACD of El Cielo? I have a dts rip of it, it's incredible... I wish a 2xLP of it existed!

I haven't listened to Chuckles & other dumb name, I hate the cover, it seems like hack-art. I do think the LP is probably the only way I'd want to hear it. So I'll just buy it when it's available.

Also I don't want to have my first experience of listening to the album be MP3s at 192k. I remember that very much ruined "pariah" for me at first.

and +1 for Dan the Automator... I love the first Head Automatica album. Speaking of which why isn't that an LP yet?!