Would You Pay $150 for 4 New Songs?

So today, sees the release of the Flaming Lips "Gummy Skull". This 7 pound edible skull features a flash drive inside the back of skull (fashioned to look like a vagina). Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips is delivering the first 5 to Guestroom Records in Oklahoma City today.....the price is $150. I get the uniqueness/creativity, but $150?? Damn.

Read more here:

http://psychexfutureheart.wordpress.com/2011/04/20/gummyrelease/

music sold on a usb flash drive is just about the dumbest fucking idea ever in my opinion. so tired of it already.

they said they just wanted to release/deliver music in as many different ways as they could.

and so far weve got a collaboration, a box set, and now candy.

..not worth criticizing the flash drive.

music sold on a usb flash drive is just about the dumbest fucking idea ever in my opinion. so tired of it already.

they said they just wanted to release/deliver music in as many different ways as they could.

and so far weve got a collaboration, a box set, and now candy.

..not worth criticizing the flash drive.

im not into the flaming lips, so if it floats your boat then thats cool by me.

my comment is mostly directed at the idea of releasing music on a usb flash drive in general - not exclusively to them.

Wayne said all the songs in these weird releases will be available outside of the release. They're going to be doing a ton of weird stuff. Flexi discs in MAD Magazine, cereal with songs in it, gummy skulls. I even think he said they want to do a life-sized gummy replica of Wayne himself with the heart containing a harddrive with all the songs on it. But the songs will eventually be collected in to an album and will also be available digitally through the Lips' website eventually. Stop complaining. It's expensive, but it's awesome. Don't want it? Don't buy it.

everything about this is stupid and just seems to me like the band is straining to stay relevant.

I'd say raking in $100K for a festival appearance is not straining to stay relevant.

This.

ITT: Gimmick happy vinyl collectors get mad at an awesome gimmick. ::)

i do not understand this, nor would i purchase it in a million years, but if they can find some poor saps who would pay $150 for this, then more power to them.

much like the poor saps who buy rare variants of HC records that came out a week prior for $150?

collectors spend money on stupid worthless shit, its basically how collecting works.