Glassjaw Coloring Book EP

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unfortunately, i don't think it'll see a vinyl release either. i'm not sure they would have wasted pressing a free-with-ticket CD version if they were planning on doing vinyl / digital later. my personal opinion is that the songs they recorded for coloring book were so different from what people expected from glassjaw, that they didn't really expect people to buy it as a stand-alone release. it actually makes pretty good business-sense. the our color green 7"s were older re-recorded songs that really had no place, and i assume they figured would appeal most to older, more diehard fans. hence a series of 7" singles.

just some food for thought. i expect their next release, whenever it may be, to be new material on a format that fits the market it will appeal to.

unfortunately, i don't think it'll see a vinyl release either. i'm not sure they would have wasted pressing a free-with-ticket CD version if they were planning on doing vinyl / digital later. my personal opinion is that the songs they recorded for coloring book were so different from what people expected from glassjaw, that they didn't really expect people to buy it as a stand-alone release. it actually makes pretty good business-sense. the our color green 7"s were older re-recorded songs that really had no place, and i assume they figured would appeal most to older, more diehard fans. hence a series of 7" singles.

just some food for thought. i expect their next release, whenever it may be, to be new material on a format that fits the market it will appeal to.

GJ is the one band though that I see them ultimately having all their releases on vinyl for their die hard fans, cause they know they'll buy it like crazy and sell it out rather shortly.

GJ is the one band though that I see them ultimately having all their releases on vinyl for their die hard fans, cause they know they'll buy it like crazy and sell it out rather shortly.

i don't think so. i'm not sure if w+t or eyewtkas would have ever ended up on vinyl if it weren't for their associated major labels.

this "band" is such a damn joke

SMITE THIS MAN!!!

hey now ! i like the band. I just think their ethics have gone to shit. I know Beck is a cocky conceited bastard and looks @ this band more & more as just a business. The interview was quite a while back but he was talking about how stupid he thinks it is that all these kids are going out on tour with all these risks of not making any money and wasting their time/lives. I really lost respect for them a month ago or so when they had an interview that Daryl said

"People are so hung up on us not having a full-length out that they're overlooking the fact that record labels are becoming increasingly irrelevant, that full-length records are becoming irrelevant and the whole album/tour cycle is pretty irrelevant."

The whole album/tour cycle is irrelevant? Then what the fuck is the point of being in a band?

I realize Daryl said that and not you.

He means the whole process every band does now. They put out the record they're supposed to and tour to promote when they have to. He means that its gotten old and dry and new methods need to come. Put the music out when you want, tour when you want, do it however you want. The interview explains it all :)

The whole album/tour cycle is irrelevant? Then what the fuck is the point of being in a band?

He means the whole process every band does now. They put out the record they're supposed to and tour to promote when they have to. He means that its gotten old and dry and new methods need to come. Put the music out when you want, tour when you want, do it however you want. The interview explains it all :)

You mean I can't base an opinion on an excerpt?

I was actually thinking that that may have been what he meant but I was far too lazy to type that all out. Still, I think the whole release material when you want and tour when you want is less effective of a presentation than touring to support a release at the general release era but I've always been a fan of a band's era and material relationship.

I was actually thinking that that may have been what he meant but I was far too lazy to type that all out. Still, I think the whole release material when you want and tour when you want is less effective of a presentation than touring to support a release at the general release era but I've always been a fan of a band's era and material relationship.

I totally agree! Only certain bands can really pull off what daryl is saying. You need a really devoted fan base and a great knowledge of advertising and business like beck does. They pull their shit off so amazingly. Its really is something.

But besides that I listened to this again today and im still blown. I think its best that they put 3 songs on each side. Either 10" or 12". I feel like the first half is on its own while the second part is a totally diff monster

I haven't listened to this in a while. I definitely like a lot of the ideas that comprise most of the songs but I feel that some of the songs as a whole are a bit lacking. I love "Daytona White." Its beautiful and haunting but most of the rest of the songs are just kind of "meh" overall.

I haven't listened to this in a while. I definitely like a lot of the ideas that comprise most of the songs but I feel that some of the songs as a whole are a bit lacking. I love "Daytona White." Its beautiful and haunting but most of the rest of the songs are just kind of "meh" overall.

i felt this way about it initially, but it grew on me in a BIG way. i think coloring book can be a bit awkward at first because it's a big departure from their typical style. the drums and bass have way more of a latin rhythm based feel as opposed to their usual hardcore stylings. as a drummer i'd have to say i was really impressed with the way the drums are both simple and complicated at the same time.

Each band member had a chance to shine in this piece. I especially enjoy manny's bass lines through out the entire ep. Each time it just blows me away. And daryl's performance is nothing short of spectacular. I don't think I could write vocal melodies like that ever.

Wish that everytime I listened to it was like the first. I couldn't even fathom black nurse on the first listen lmao

Each band member had a chance to shine in this piece. I especially enjoy manny's bass lines through out the entire ep. Each time it just blows me away. And daryl's performance is nothing short of spectacular. I don't think I could write vocal melodies like that ever.

Wish that everytime I listened to it was like the first. I couldn't even fathom black nurse on the first listen lmao

i put Drew from dredg up on this EP and when i went to their show a couple weeks ago the sound guy played black nurse in between sets before dredg came on. made me kinda stoked. i saw like one other dude getting down to it, everyone else probably was hearing it for the first time.

Black Nurse still gets me pumped to this day. I shake my head in disbelief that anything can be that good. SO properly placed as the first track, it's like they knew that song was the shit and it was going to blow people away immediately.

And +1 on the basslines, droooooooooooool.

I just emailed glassjaw's manager to see if they are interested in letting us take care of it on the retail end and providing them with some merch direct variants...I will update the thread if i hear back but chances are they will either do it themselves or not do it at all. Regardless im a long time fan from their home town so im keeping my fingers crossed