Overdue Collection Agency NEEDS HELP

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL LOL LOL LOL... did I mention LOL. If he spent 4k to license, remaster, etc., where is the remaining 15k going? How much is it to press a thousand LPs (x2)?

We should actually start a cost list. These are numbers he's posted. The mystery is that he has 2200 recs and jackets, but the 2 12"s and test only account for 2036 of those.

2000 180g records from Erika (spread over 6 crazy colors): ??

36 test presses: ??

Licensing: $2000

Remastering: $1200

Lacquer/Plating: $1024

2200 gatefold jackets: $3700

2200 inserts: $1900

Yikes, just saw this on the store page : full-color liner note booklets. Man he really went way way over his head on this one. One at a time, he definitely shouldnt have focused on both at one time. I think for him to succeed he needs to focus on one record for now, and then maybe get some revenue from that record and then get the Full color Note Booklets for the next record. I mean I know he has both records pressed, its just crazy to think he needs to finish both at this second...he really screwed himself on this one.

LOL LOL LOL LOL... did I mention LOL. If he spent 4k to license, remaster, etc., where is the remaining 15k going? How much is it to press a thousand LPs (x2)?

We should actually start a cost list. These are numbers he's posted. The mystery is that he has 2200 recs and jackets, but the 2 12"s and test only account for 2036 of those.

Even if the records and tests cost $6000, which is an overestimate, that's still only $16k.

Here is part of his problems,

Each LP is $18.00, not including shipping for the least rare variants.

The only way to get the rare variant is to buy a subscription for $160.00.

How many subscriptions do you think he has really sold. There is no way he has close to 200 subscriptions so that means he is sitting on a bunch of records that wont sell as know one is going to drop $160. Maybe if he put those up at $18-20 and drop the regular LP's to $15, he might actually start selling some of these. I don't think his problems have to do with exposure as much as it has to do with his prices.

Brian

Lets play a game. Over/Under on 400 copies sold (including both LPs)? I'm saying under.

It seems like him & his girl are butt hurt that this isn't selling as well as they had hoped. Sorry, but just because you're a fan of the band doesn't mean its going to be able to move 1k units. And fuck the charity. No need to increase the cost. People can donate/volunteer to whatever they choose.

Erika has their prices on their site. VERY pricey. Just the wax alone for swirl or splatter is I believe around $3. That is before a center label or anything else. They also charge every time you change a color.

http://www.erikarecords.com/quote.html

Erika has their prices on their site. VERY pricey. Just the wax alone for swirl or splatter is I believe around $3. That is before a center label or anything else. They also charge every time you change a color.

http://www.erikarecords.com/quote.html

The difference in that and a stock color is $4,300. I applaud Erika for charging so much for such an abomination.

As people posted before, having the rarest color tied up in a subscription is idiocy. There's no way he's done this before at all. At the very least, he should've had the full amount on hand before even going with Kickstarter, but that's what the world has come to.

It also doesn't help that the band has been dead for a long while now, and semi-reunited to the sound of crickets. You can't expect to move 2k copies of a band no one cares about and a new generation that has no idea.

At least they don't have children.

I didn't mean for it to sound as if I thought Erika overcharges. I know it is very difficult and pricey to do the swirls and splatters vs. a regular color. I just meant it is very easy to run into a hefty bill when getting into crazy colors.

No I didnt think you were saying that. That stuff just costs money.

I just happen to think Liz @ Erika rules :)

Ive had a hard time trying to keep the price down on the Blink and Sublime exclusives with swirl and splatter and whatever crazy colors that Ive done for HT.

How many subscriptions do you think he has really sold.

When people first started grilling him about the pricetag, he played the "it's for charity" card. So, the sooner he gets enough money to break even, the sooner he can start donating to charity.

According to the kickstarter, he's sold at least 12 subscriptions.

Lets play a game. Over/Under on 400 copies sold (including both LPs)? I'm saying under.

Via the kickstarter, it's at least 344. Pre-orders may well have stayed under 400 total.

TWO THINGS:

This guy seems like an okay dude if you read more about him. Check his tumblr. He already ceded that he won't be releasing any more albums after these because it was too difficult. He's never being offensive or outlandish on anything he's done--though unorthodox it may be.

Also, Kickstarter pages are not merch stores. You're not paying $1500 for 10 records or whatever. You're DONATING $1500 and receiving some exclusive incentives instead.

K BYE!

TWO THINGS:

This guy seems like an okay dude if you read more about him. Check his tumblr. He already ceded that he won't be releasing any more albums after these because it was too difficult. He's never being offensive or outlandish on anything he's done--though unorthodox it may be.

Also, Kickstarter pages are not merch stores. You're not paying $1500 for 10 records or whatever. You're DONATING $1500 and receiving some exclusive incentives instead.

K BYE!

Are you playing devil's advocate or do you actually believe that.

I'm SO FUCKING HAPPY that labels like this are failing.

note to EVERYONE ON THIS FUCKING BOARD:

-STOP using kickstarter. If you can't afford the record, DON'T PRESS THE GODDAMN RECORD.

-Splatter vinyl/gnarly colors doesn't mean good product

-Licensing records is shooting yourself in the foot unless you are already a real record label. Realize that good labels aren't labels that just license records, and that extra cost up front doesn't mean a better return in the long run, or more appreciation from your peers. Just because you love a record DOESN'T MEAN it needs to be on vinyl.

-Package deals are for fucking SCHMUCKS.

-Stop stop stop assuming people care about non-current records just because you did. Chances are, they weren't pressed on vinyl for a reason. Yeah there was a lull in the mid 90's and early 2000's where certain types of labels weren't pressing records. But the reality is, the kind of bands that sold records in the 90's are still selling records today, and those folks will always buy records. Flash-in-the-pan collectors will die off, and you'll be stuck with a thousand copies of some rinky-dink christians pop punk "gem" that "never got it's proper release back in the day" but was "mega popular, I swear!".

Just put out a good record, do quality packaging, press it on black vinyl or a single "variant", and enjoy the success of selling some records and losing a small amount of money. In the long run, will you be more happy with your short stint as a "record label" if you put out 4 or 5 records with just black vinyl, or one record with a thousand color variants, a kickstarter, package deals, and a bunch of other bullshit that only 100 people care about anyway?

Also, that girl's whole post screams "entitled non-punks". Congrats, you worked hard for your label just like EVERY OTHER LABEL, but guess what, you fucked up, did it wrong, and that doesn't mean anyone will ever, or did ever, care about GATSBY'S AMERICAN DREAM! Seriously, did you even look at the name of the band you were releasing? What did you expect!?

Also huge lol at complaining that blogs weren't reposting a fucking PRESS RELEASE! If you put out something people care about, maybe they'll mention it, but quantity doesn't mean quality.

-STOP using kickstarter. If you can't afford the record, DON'T PRESS THE GODDAMN RECORD.

-Licensing records is shooting yourself in the foot unless you are already a real record label. Realize that good labels aren't labels that just license records, and that extra cost up front doesn't mean a better return in the long run, or more appreciation from your peers. Just because you love a record DOESN'T MEAN it needs to be on vinyl.

-Stop stop stop assuming people care about non-current records just because you did. Chances are, they weren't pressed on vinyl for a reason. Yeah there was a lull in the mid 90's and early 2000's where certain types of labels weren't pressing records. But the reality is, the kind of bands that sold records in the 90's are still selling records today, and those folks will always buy records. Flash-in-the-pan collectors will die off, and you'll be stuck with a thousand copies of some rinky-dink christians pop punk "gem" that "never got it's proper release back in the day" but was "mega popular, I swear!".

Just put out a good record, do quality packaging, press it on black vinyl or a single "variant", and enjoy the success of selling some records and losing a small amount of money. In the long run, will you be more happy with your short stint as a "record label" if you put out 4 or 5 records with just black vinyl, or one record with a thousand color variants, a kickstarter, package deals, and a bunch of other bullshit that only 100 people care about anyway?

[image]

NAILED IT!

[image]

What happened to people starting record labels with a local band's 7" on black vinyl with a xeroxed cover?

whats a xeroxed cover? is that like a limited obi strip package deal on 12 colors? can i number that xerox thing you speak of to make it worth $$?

it really bugs me that in the defense of this whole thing is statements about how much paperwork and stuff was done ahead of time, and how much money was thrown into this "project", and getting lots of money together for this "company".

that alone should tell you something there.

Gone are the days of doing DIY releases for friends just for the hell of it for fun, folding covers in the living room with your friends, etc. And here are the days where to do something you need to form some large company that needs office space, where you can pour all your money into licensing projects, etc. Now you need to outsource your workload, and pay for press kits and have warehouse space, and spend a ton of unnecessary money on color variants and packages.

You want to start a company. go to the small business bureau and get a small business loan.

You want to put out a record? do it yourself and quit screwing kids over.

How many subscriptions do you think he has really sold. There is no way he has close to 200 subscriptions so that means he is sitting on a bunch of records that wont sell as know one is going to drop $160. Maybe if he put those up at $18-20 and drop the regular LP's to $15, he might actually start selling some of these. I don't think his problems have to do with exposure as much as it has to do with his prices.

Brian

This should be a lesson to all labels about gimmicks.