Alien Ant Farm on Vinyl (Discussion)

To give the best non-asshole response to this, I think there is a big difference between those of us that grew up in the late 90's and those of us that grew up in the late 80's. It's much easier for those of us that grew up hearing AAF on TV and Radio without a developed music taste than those of us that had already developed their music taste before hearing this or any other band. I'm sure all of us liked some pretty shitty music when we were kids.

That being said, I enjoy Smooth Criminal, and am indifferent towards this band really.

To give the best non-asshole response to this, I think there is a big difference between those of us that grew up in the late 90's and those of us that grew up in the late 80's. It's much easier for those of us that grew up hearing AAF on TV and Radio without a developed music taste and those of us that had already developed their music taste before hearing this or any other band. I'm sure all of us liked some pretty shitty music when we were kids.

That being said, I enjoy Smooth Criminal, and am indifferent towards this band really.

This.

I just want to come and make sure people know Travis has said he doesn't press anything... all he does is talk to people who do press records about the possibility of getting HT exclusives.

Maybe he can pull some weight and say "HT would sell X number of these!" to help convince them, but no one should be expecting him to license and press anything himself.

Correct. I dont license or press anything. I make deals with labels for them to press (or re-press) a record as a HT exclusive.

All the Blink stuff, +44, Box Car, Sublime 40 Oz...

Or Ill talk to a label about pressing something and say I'll take X amount on an exclusive color if you press this. The label can then decide if its worth it for them to press something or not.

Glassjaw, Head Automatica, Deftones...

AAF is not something I have any interest in being involved with getting pressed. I have to make sure something will sell pretty damn well if Im going to approach a label about doing a vinyl pressing and I dont think AAF vinyl would sell at all. Not talking shit on the band at all, Im personally not a fan but if I thought it would sell Id look into it. This band is basically a one-hit wonder.

I was flipping through records yesterday and came across this. I asked the girl, "Why did they bother pressing this?" She seemed amused. Falls in there with this conversation:

[image]

Actually, this is a horrible example. Kid Rock is still huge. That record sold over a million copies. You know nothing.

Yea Kid Rock is still really popular and sells tons of records. Did this need to pressed on vinyl? Probably not but at least he still has a lot of selling power in general.

Yea Kid Rock is still really popular and sells tons of records. Did this need to pressed on vinyl? Probably not but at least he still has a lot of selling power in general.

This makes no sense, but fits with the elitist attitude of the board. Why wouldn't it need to be pressed on vinyl? I don't really like that need word. Nothing NEEDS to be pressed on vinyl. Some people might want to listen to this on vinyl. Kid Rock probably sold more albums than all the bands posted about on this board combined. Pressing plants should probably just press more colors of Blink & Gaslight records ::)

Also, I'm not really a Kid Rock fan. I just understand supply & demand. I figured you'd understand that being the buyer for Hot Topic. Just because he isn't your demographic doesn't mean that there isn't a way bigger market out there for him.

This makes no sense, but fits with the elitist attitude of the board. Why wouldn't it need to be pressed on vinyl? I don't really like that need word. Nothing NEEDS to be pressed on vinyl. Some people might want to listen to this on vinyl. Kid Rock probably sold more albums than all the bands posted about on this board combined. Pressing plants should probably just press more colors of Blink & Gaslight records ::)

Also, I'm not really a Kid Rock fan. I just understand supply & demand. I figured you'd understand that being the buyer for Hot Topic. Just because he isn't your demographic doesn't mean that there isn't a way bigger market out there for him.

haha What? What elitist attitude? If you dont like the board the dont post here, I dunno what else to tell you. It sounds like you're just looking for something to argue about.

Yes Kid Rock sells a ton of records. I highly doubt he sells a ton of vinyl though. I dont care if they press Kid Rock records on vinyl or not. It doesnt effect me in any way. Im just saying Kid Rock is a huge artist on a major label and if you dont sell a lot of copies on a major label, its viewed as a failure. Overall yea, he sold a lot of copies of this album but it likely wasnt a huge hit on vinyl. Thats all I was saying.

I understand that there's another music market out there in the world beyond what Hot Topic sells, I appreciate you trying to teach me about retail music but I think I got it covered.

I'm with you. I'd love to see everything on vinyl, whether I love it or hate it. Just like the old days. Granted, that's not going to happen again. But if you'd have told me 15 years ago that there'd be this kind of resurgence, I'd have never believed it. There isn't a finite amount of records that are allowed to be pressed. Press everything. Everyone wins.

I'm with you. I'd love to see everything on vinyl, whether I love it or hate it. Just like the old days. Granted, that's not going to happen again. But if you'd have told me 15 years ago that there'd be this kind of resurgence, I'd have never believed it. There isn't a finite amount of records that are allowed to be pressed. Press everything. Everyone wins.

There's a balance though. If labels pressed everything on vinyl and a lot of that stuff didnt sell the labels would be losing money and have less money to put out records on vinyl that actually will sell. Obviously with Kid Rock, he's on Atlantic or something like that and if they press a couple thousand LPs and they dont sell its not going to sink them.

There's a balance though. If labels pressed everything on vinyl and a lot of that stuff didnt sell the labels would be losing money and have less money to put out records on vinyl that actually will sell. Obviously with Kid Rock, he's on Atlantic or something like that and if they press a couple thousand LPs and they dont sell its not going to sink them.

I realize I am being unrealistic with my longing for the good old days. I'm just saying I am all for anything that keeps the format alive and kicking. Everything that gets pressed contributes to that, no matter how "uncool" it might be.

Especially after moving a million units already. If an album that sells a million copies isn't pressed on vinyl then I don't know what should be. And that is pretty much my point. The label is already raking in the dough on this release. I didn't address any other releases. Just the idiot who posted wondering why Kid Rock would ever get pressed.

Devil Without A Cause - 11x platinum

Cocky - 5x platinum

Kid Rock - platinum

Rock N Roll Jesus - 3x platinum

Born Free - platinum

Hmm. That would be his last 5 albums selling over 20 million in the US alone. No one would want his vinyl though.

But lets be honest we all hate him a little inside for taking Sweet Home Alabama, putting his own words to it and making it a #1 hit.

Yeah...no one has ever done anything like that before.

[image]

I don't disagree with you, however my statement had nothing to do with how many other people have done it.

Haha yes the label is raking in the cash on CD and digital sales. Of course Kid Rock will sell some vinyl, never said he wouldn't but out of those 20 million albums sold I'd guess that no more than a couple thousand were vinyl.

I honestly don't care enough about AAF or Kid Rock to keep going on with this tho so I'm done, carry on :)

their first album was mostly anthology material, just earlier versions with shittier productions.

that would be a nice album to press.

i wasn't a big fan of truant. but their early stuff was great.

i was a fan of this band before anthology, and kinda got turned off after their major label debut.

Surprised no one has jumped on pressing 3EB, Counting Crows, or Blind Melon. They have such high demand on eBay.

I'm not a fan of Kid Rock or AAF, but the difference not stated here is Kid Rock had a hit before he did a cover. AAF did a cover of Michael Jackson and have never had a successful song written by themselves. I like the cover but no substance outside of it...anyone can make a hit from a Michael Jackson song.