Alien Ant Farm on Vinyl (Discussion)

• 1 month later...

Looks like they're pressing their Greatest Hits to be apart of their Pledge Music campaign. I'm sure as hell not spending $75 and a Greatest Hits album and t-shirt.

https://m.facebook.com/alienantfarm/posts/579801982038552

I have no idea why they don't just press their new album alone on black 180g and charge $25 for that and a digital download.

Looks like they're pressing their Greatest Hits to be apart of their Pledge Music campaign. I'm sure as hell not spending $75 and a Greatest Hits album and t-shirt.

https://m.facebook.com/alienantfarm/posts/579801982038552

I have no idea why they don't just press their new album alone on black 180g and charge $25 for that and a digital download.

agreed

• 2 weeks later...

I've loved this band for years, and I've wanted their albums pressed for quite some time. But, it's hard to justify these prices; even if they've lowered the price down a bit since the initial posting. Especially when ANThology is, apparently, going to have 'new' artwork and the disc(s) is/are going to be 'shaped like the ant,' which I'm assuming they're describing a possible picture disc(s). This is what I've gathered from their Facebook page anyway. Hopefully they've changed their minds on that atrocious idea, and adopted the idea of traditional vinyl. 

I've loved this band for years, and I've wanted their albums pressed for quite some time. But, it's hard to justify these prices; even if they've lowered the price down a bit since the initial posting. Especially when ANThology is, apparently, going to have 'new' artwork and the disc(s) is/are going to be 'shaped like the ant,' which I'm assuming they're describing a possible picture disc(s). This is what I've gathered from their Facebook page anyway. Hopefully they've changed their minds on that atrocious idea, and adopted the idea of traditional vinyl. 

They're not doing that anymore, if you take a look at my post above

Surprised no one has jumped on pressing 3EB, Counting Crows, or Blind Melon. They have such high demand on eBay.

I'm not a fan of Kid Rock or AAF, but the difference not stated here is Kid Rock had a hit before he did a cover. AAF did a cover of Michael Jackson and have never had a successful song written by themselves. I like the cover but no substance outside of it...anyone can make a hit from a Michael Jackson song.

Yeah that was the label's decision. The first single off the album was supposed to be 'Movies' IIRC, but the label wanted it to be 'Smooth Criminal' instead. Which sucks because that is basically what cemented their one-hit-wonder status. In terms of their early stuff they had some damn good songs. 'Movies' was one of them.

Yeah that was the label's decision. The first single off the album was supposed to be 'Movies' IIRC, but the label wanted it to be 'Smooth Criminal' instead. Which sucks because that is basically what cemented their one-hit-wonder status. In terms of their early stuff they had some damn good songs. 'Movies' was one of them.

The first single was 'Movies', it was re-released after the success of 'Smooth Criminal' with a new video. Actually, there are 3 different videos for 'Movies', with the 3rd being the bigger budget one.

The first single was 'Movies', it was re-released after the success of 'Smooth Criminal' with a new video. Actually, there are 3 different videos for 'Movies', with the 3rd being the bigger budget one.

Yeah, the fact that the label paid to re-shoot a big budget version kinda proves my point that the label wanted Smooth Criminal to be the lead single and Movies to be the follow-up.

We're really spitting hairs here, though. My point was that most people only know them from the cover, but they had good songs that went largely ignored by the mainstream populous and their label had no small part in that.

They have ANThology on the pledge site for $50. It's signed and on 180 gram. I prefer to have no signatures so I sent a message if it was possible to not have it signed and they said no problem! I hope this goes through.

Well at least they lowered the price. Still too rich for my blood. Now if it were TruAnt I might be on board.

I want ANThology but the $50 price tag is killing me. Is it right to assume though that they probably won't make that available outside of this pledge deal at some point? So conflicted...

The price does suck, but think of it as a donation.  If they don't reach their goal, chances are they won't even press it.  Who knows?

• 4 weeks later...

hopefully after this pledge thing they'll be selling the leftovers for less.

anthology is a damn fine album, but not worth $50.

At the very most it should have been $25. I saw a lot of snotty comments regarding the price on their status updates.

For $50 they should have included this, the new album, and a poster or something.

At the very most it should have been $25. I saw a lot of snotty comments regarding the price on their status updates.

For $50 they should have included this, the new album, and a poster or something.

Yeah but the point is to raise funds for the new album.  Think of it as the vinyl being $25, the digital download of the new album for $10 (bc you get that too) and a donation of $15.

It's not a matter of your opinion of the band, that's just how it's set up.

My opinion of the band is positive. Liked ANThology and UITA. But justifying the $50 buy-in for the vinyl as you broke it down seems silly. $25 for what will definitely be a 2XLP. Okay. I can get down with that. Digitial download for $25? Pfft.

That being said, I'll make sure I hit you up first when I'm trying to crowd-fund an album.

My opinion of the band is positive. Liked ANThology and UITA. But justifying the $50 buy-in for the vinyl as you broke it down seems silly. $25 for what will definitely be a 2XLP. Okay. I can get down with that. Digitial download for $25? Pfft.

That being said, I'll make sure I hit you up first when I'm trying to crowd-fund an album.

Like I said, it's for the sake of making a donation.  If they were charging that in their merch store, then I would say that's ridiculous.  When Protest The Hero did their crowd fund, their vinyl cost like $45 and people ate that up.  Think what you want, but it helps bands reach their funding goals.

• 1 year later...