Pressings to avoid

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dangerous Summer - War Paint (Coke Bottle Clear [Hopeless])

- just got mine in and i can confirm how bad it sounds. note that this is coming from, not an audiophile, but a regular guy. straight out of the shrink wrap, it literally sounds like a dusty thrift store pickup. every time there is a lull in the rock, you can hear pops consistently.

- i know there are no other pressings of this right now, but don't buy this record unless you just want it to have as a collectible--literally does not sound anywhere near CD or download quality.

straight out of the shrink wrap, it literally sounds like a dusty thrift store pickup. every time there is a lull in the rock, you can hear pops consistently.

I think I might be taking this too literally. May I ask if you clean the record before you play it?

I don't usually. Like I said, I'm not crazy about sound quality--this one just really stood out on the poor end. I'll see how much my DiscWasher helps. Considering I don't ever clean them when I get them, it's still consistent, ya know?

EDIT: I just DiscWasher'd that sucker like a pro and it still pops through all of the first track and through all the "lulls" on the rest of the A-side. Major disappointment.

I think I might be taking this too literally. May I ask if you clean the record before you play it?

I don't usually. Like I said, I'm not crazy about sound quality--this one just really stood out on the poor end. I'll see how much my DiscWasher helps. Considering I don't ever clean them when I get them, it's still consistent, ya know?

EDIT: Were you asking about the "thrift store record" I was using in the analogy?

No, your new record. New records are filthy in factory gunk. You should clean them before playing them. I use a brush and spray, gets lots of paper out of the grooves.

The US Capital press of Coldplay's Rush of Blood to the Head (pay for the UK)

I've got the Parlophone press fortunately, but what's wrong with the US version?

Actually most of the Capital presses sound pretty good, but I feel like the Parlophone version is smoother than butter. Not even the biggest Coldplay fan (gf is) but I like listening to that record, so quiet where it needs to be.

Explosions In The Sky - All Of A Sudden ... (limited edition.

i don't know if its only mine but the first track sounds horrible because of several poppings in it.

Nope, mine is super noisy and poppy pretty much all the way through. It's annoying because it looks totally clean.

than its a damn shitty press. i got this new and sealed directly from the label. don't know about the normal press on black. maybe i'll have to try this.

EDIT: Were you asking about the "thrift store record" I was using in the analogy?

I just DiscWasher'd that sucker (TDS - War Paint) like a pro and it still pops through all of the first track and through all the "lulls" on the rest of the A-side. Major disappointment.

As Tall as Lions S/T

I've heard from a lot of people that it skips badly. My copy skips like 5 times. :(

Disagree 100% I have it on black and it sounds amazing. It's dusty as hell and it's never skipped.

must just be a problem with the newer pressing then. mine's on pink, i've heard from others with the pink or blue that it skips just as badly for them.

Disagree 100% I have it on black and it sounds amazing. It's dusty as hell and it's never skipped.

You play dusty records?

not generally speaking. but i had just gotten it in the mail and was itching to listen to it. and its not dusty as hell, that was an exaggeration but i did notice a bit of dust on it. do you really think the color variant affects sound quality? i don't think its a 180 gram

must just be a problem with the newer pressing then. mine's on pink, i've heard from others with the pink or blue that it skips just as badly for them.

hmm interesting. in that case im glad i got the black one. i got it at such a steal too. 18 ppd. a month later and it went for nearly $150 on ebay. i kinda feel bad for the dude who sold it to me now lol.