What's the deal with OBI on Japanese pressings?

Obi, which means sash, are found on books, records and CDs. I always throw them in the recycle, as they are just an advertisement for the contents inside.

However, they're becoming a sort of nemesis for me when record hunting because if they are still attached to a record, the value might go up $50.

For those who buy Japanese releases, do you keep your obi?

ABSOLUTELY. Don't throw those away. If I am going to drop coin on a Japanese pressing it MUST have the obi. They add to the uniqueness of the record. I must say, I prefer when they wrap around the label spine (as often is the case with CDs) because then you can have your favorite artist's name and album title looking at you in Japanese.

also to the person asking what they look like. Sometimes they are a band that goes all the way around a record or cd and is taped or glued at some point. Other times, more so on cds then records, they are folded around the spine so about an inch or two is covered on the front and back along with the entire spine.

The real question is: Why do they have them?

Many older domestic releases don't have a track listing. On the front of the obi are the tracks and maybe some review quotes. On the are advertisements for other releases from the label.

For me, saving the obi is like keeping the tag of your clothes. I always trash them. That's why I'm so bummed when I find a record I've been searching for and it costs $100 because it has an ad sashed around it.

I find that obi detract from the art, as well.

If you want to know what your obi says, post a pic here and I'll translate it for you.

Like someone stated earlier, do not throw these away. Keep em. I have many Japanese versions of Lush CDs from the 90s and the OBI really does add to the overall presentation. Plus, if you ever fall on tough times and need to sell anything, you'll get significantly more if the OBI is intact.

On the other hand. I see where moonbeams is coming from with this thread. If I lived/was born and raised in Japan, I might of looked at the OBI differently and tossed em. Bottom line, keep em all from now on.