Official: Post a pic of your pet(s) thread!

• 1 month later...

Just sent the last of my foster American Bulldogs back to the humane society. 6 out of the 8 my sister and I were able to line up good homes for before they went back. I believe some of them might be on a Channel 7 (Detroit Area) telethon that starts at 6 am tomorrow.

But anyways, I didn't think it was gonna hit me this hard sending them all back. Kind of relieved to get my time back but it's gonna be a sad day today. 

Just sent the last of my foster American Bulldogs back to the humane society. 6 out of the 8 my sister and I were able to line up good homes for before they went back. I believe some of them might be on a Channel 7 (Detroit Area) telethon that starts at 6 am tomorrow.

But anyways, I didn't think it was gonna hit me this hard sending them all back. Kind of relieved to get my time back but it's gonna be a sad day today. 

Just remember you did a rad thing by fostering them. Our lastest foster came in scared of everything and has come a long way since she came here a month and a half ago. Makes it all worth it.

Just remember you did a rad thing by fostering them. Our lastest foster came in scared of everything and has come a long way since she came here a month and a half ago. Makes it all worth it.

Good for you too.

Today feels just like when you go away for a rad vacation where you are doing a ton of cool stuff, then you come home and everything is quiet. Feels like something is missing.

I'm sure tomorrow will be back to normal, though. The time flew by. I had them since before Christmas. Doesn't feel like that long.

Definitely something I would consider doing again after a long break.

Good for you too.

Today feels just like when you go away for a rad vacation where you are doing a ton of cool stuff, then you come home and everything is quiet. Feels like something is missing.

I'm sure tomorrow will be back to normal, though. The time flew by. I had them since before Christmas. Doesn't feel like that long.

Definitely something I would consider doing again after a long break.

What is the process for fostering dogs? My wife and i would like to foster when we move out of our apartment. Does it matter that we already have a dog and cat?

What is the process for fostering dogs? My wife and i would like to foster when we move out of our apartment. Does it matter that we already have a dog and cat?

I am not 100% on this. My sister handles the relationship with the humane society. I believe she had to take a short class (maybe a half day or something). She only brought them to my house because I have a basement better suited for puppies. I think that was technically breaking their rules, but whatever, not like the cops are gonna show up at my door.

I also have a dog and a cat. My sister has two dogs. It's not a dealbreaker. My cat always stays on the second floor of my house, so she was pretty insulated from the puppies and mom. My dog got bit fairly good by the mom (I posted on it a couple pages back). She pinned her to the ground and locked onto her. I had to pry the mom's jaws open.

The good news is that it was just a skin wound, and now the mom and my dog play together. I am thinking about keeping the mom. She is a really good dog. She was just defending her puppies when she bit my dog. As she got less attached to them, she got friendlier towards my dog (she was always really friendly with people).

They introduce foster dogs to others at the humane society and they don't send mean dogs out to be fostered. But at the same time, you are bringing a strange animal into your home and no guarantee that it will get along with your dog or cat. If it doesn't work out, you bring the dog back to the humane society. There shouldn't be any problems, though.

So the process would be to just call the Humane Society or some other agency and say you are interested in fostering. They will tell you what you need to do, and then they call you when there is a dog that needs a home. 

Yeah, best thing to do is call a local rescue and ask some questions. We've been fostering for 3 years now, and had about 9 fosters in that time, one failed foster who stayed with us. We have 3 dogs and 2 cats and a foster right now. It's a full house that's for sure!

It's such a rewarding feeling knowing you're helping an animal in need.

Not a ton more info on the fostering thing but I asked my sister last night. She did a 1 hour class, and she get's emails every week that let her know what is available for fostering.

This was her first full litter. They sent out an email that said something like "Urgent -- Foster Home Needed". They don't like to keep puppies in the Humane Society because they are more likely to contract diseases.

She was a biter and a little terror. The third one was a sweetheart.

They are all so adorable, man i have been thinking about fostering but i know i would keep em all.  My pup turned 8 recently and i have been thinking about adopting her a new buddy lately.  i have a feeling i will be making the rounds to all the Humane societies soon.