The Demise of Media Mail?

In the Thrice - Major/Minor PO thread, there's a lot of discussion about a recent "change" in Media Mail requirements/rules/enforcing/whatever.

Figured it'd be better suited for its own thread, especially if the rumors are true.

Since I haven't heard anything about it first hand, I'll let someone else give the info.

probably a stupid question: how is media mail handled differently than things shipped regular ol' first class rate?

Media mail is cheaper and only really can contain anything related to media: books, dvds, cds, vinyl, manuscripts etc. All I know is that to ship LPs first class is more expensive.

USPS would have to eliminate the media mail option in a reorganization plan and would notify the public about the changes in shipping options. They just posted a $3 billion quarterly loss.

http://news.yahoo.com/usps-posts-3-1-billion-loss-q3-warns-145707721.html

it doesnt say anywhere in that article anything about eliminating media mail. unless they amended the article after you found the link.

probably a stupid question: how is media mail handled differently than things shipped regular ol' first class rate?
From what I've heard its sorted last and treated like crap. It sits in post offices and wont be delivered until they have time and/or room to move it. So basically Its delivered when they have extra room on the postal routes i guess.

I actually sent a 60 pound package to a friend in the states a couple months and it took over 30 days to get it. It sat in one place for over a week.

USPS would have to eliminate the media mail option in a reorganization plan and would notify the public about the changes in shipping options. They just posted a $3 billion quarterly loss.

http://news.yahoo.com/usps-posts-3-1-billion-loss-q3-warns-145707721.html

it doesnt say anywhere in that article anything about eliminating media mail. unless they amended the article after you found the link.

My two sentences really weren't meant to correlate. I was saying the reason the thread may be prompted is because USPS posted a $3 billion loss and people may think shipping will go up and media mail will be eliminated. The postmaster general and other at USPS cannot automatically raise rates without approval as USPS is a government owned corporation.

The article was just about its losses.

From what I've heard its sorted last and treated like crap. It sits in post offices and wont be delivered until they have time and/or room to move it. So basically Its delivered when they have extra room on the postal routes i guess.

I actually sent a 60 pound package to a friend in the states a couple months and it took over 30 days to get it. It sat in one place for over a week.

I moved across the country in Spring of 2010 and shipped all of my DVDs via media mail. One box was easily 50 lbs, the other 10-15. Both arrived in only 5-6 days. And I only spent like $20-25 shipping all of it. Win some, lose some.

Qualified Items

e. Sound recordings, including incidental announcements of recordings and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such recordings. Video recordings and player piano rolls are classified as sound recordings.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/173.htm#a_wp1060530

Ok, glad to see that. This is what caught my, and probably most people's eyes: https://www.usps.com/send/media-mail.htm

read the irrelevant article the idiot posted above

Yeah. The article I posted is totally irrelevant because USPS handles media mail. Why would they possibly raise shipping rates and/or eliminate media mail? Mystery. Glad to see your making friends on the board.

did it have anything to do with the supposed changes to what can't be shipped via media mail? no. did it have anything to do with media mail? no. therefore irrelevant.

So just to recap. Someone correct me if I'm wrong:

Nothing has "changed" with Media Mail. Tater was just misinformed, or was getting yanked around at his local post office. Media Mail is still intended for educational items. Media Mail has always prohibited - and still does prohibit - the shipping of video games, USB drives, and items of similar nature.

Am I missing anything? Or can I continue being cheap and opting for $4.00 shipping, regardless of what AP.net authority insists?

Yeah. The article I posted is totally irrelevant because USPS handles media mail. Why would they possibly raise shipping rates and/or eliminate media mail? Mystery. Glad to see your making friends on the board.

did it have anything to do with the supposed changes to what can't be shipped via media mail? no. did it have anything to do with media mail? no. therefore irrelevant.

[image]

So just to recap. Someone correct me if I'm wrong:

Nothing has "changed" with Media Mail. Tater was just misinformed, or was getting yanked around at his local post office. Media Mail is still intended for educational items. Media Mail has always prohibited - and still does prohibit - the shipping of video games, USB drives, and items of similar nature.

Am I missing anything? Or can I continue being cheap and opting for $4.00 shipping, regardless of what AP.net authority insists?

Media mail still exists. No need to panic or listen to AP.net

Media mail still exists. No need to panic or listen to AP.net

Oh, I'm not doubting that it's ceasing to exist. I just want to know if anything has actually changed with its policies, as of late.

No theres a whole process of raising postage rates where it has to be approved by the government. Nothing has changed.

True. Also, the biggest difference between Media and First Class is Media travels via truck 95% of time, not plane. A post office waits until they have a truck load to send them out.