Surprise Record Store Day?

I don't know how to feel about RSD anymore.

First off I know that I don't have to buy anything but I generally get anything I cantons by the artists that I like, but this year I was in Athens,GA for the 40 Watt Ween show and talked to a guy who owned the smallest record store in town (yo-yo records) and his view point kind of opened my eyes a bit on this.

His complaint was that they (RSD organizers) want something like $10,000 up front with your requests for titles and then you may or may not get those records (but that you'd get the money back if you didn't get the records fortunately) or you don't get anything at all and that how much you get kind of depends on your volume of sales.

IF this is true (and he seemed like a straight shooter) the smaller stores get kind of dicked over.

Meanwhile some people get what they want, Boone gets everything that they want and a lot of people flip records on eBay for retarded sums of money and others feel the need to buy stuff that they don't want so they can sell it in an attempt to be able to afford what thy couldn't find on RSD in the secondary market (myself included.)

I guess I'm just glad that there are forums like this where people can keep an eye out for stuff for others the next day or later that week for stuff we couldn't find.

I got the hookup from a bunch of people to get stuff I couldn't find at cost and did the same for others.

I'm a record shop owner / participant in Record Store Day. That $10,000 quote simply isn't true.

I get emails and updated directly from the RSD folks and I've seen nothing about a surprise RSD... but then I'm an old guitarist and don't always wear my glasses so I might of missed something.

:^p

Seriously....

I only got a handfull of RSD releases. I sold them at retail and didn't ePray them as agreed to. I have heard of some retailers going back on their word per that agreement. Pas bon. What douchebags.

My word is worth more than a few bucks profit on a couple of records, is the way I look at that.

RSD was good for my shop. I met a lot of new customers and sold quite a lot. In this poor economy, small indie retailers need all the help they can get.

Rent used to be around 700 or so, back in the 90s for a commercial space. These days they get 2300 for the same space. I bailed on that delusional rental world and obtained a far cheaper retail space so I can transfer that to my customers in fair pricing.

I buy records too for my personal collection that I come across on the web. I get it. I understand both perspectives.

Times are hard to survive as a small retailer, I assure you... but some of us are in it for the long haul due to a love of music.

I don't even HAVE an ebay account, and never will. I sell my best stuff to my local clientele. I call it loyalty. I hope they appreciate it as much as I appreciate their support and business.

Record Store Day isn't perfect but there are worse things in the world than celebrating vinyl.

I try to focus on the positive as a business owner. Just chiming in with thoughts about RSD from a shop owner perspective.

Carry & Rock On. Vinyl Rules.

Similar stuff happens in the Netherlands with RSD. There are a few independent chain records stores that got way more exclusive records than the single independent record stores despite ordering similar amount of records.

Also a lot of shade stuff happened with the Nirvana 12", the amount delivered to the Netherlands was super low, even lower than expected. But still the main organizers of RSD made sure they got their copies, leaving 11 copies for the general public that all ended up in the earlier mentioned independent chain stores.

I don't have solid proof for that but several independent stores told me the same story.

I don't mind it, though I wish they didn't base it so much off of the volume some stores sell.

If the point of RSD is to get people to support record stores then the smaller joint should get some of the more sought after or rare releases BEFORE the big stores that move more volume. Give people more on an incentive to shop there as well.

Around here I go to Galaxy CDs, Shake It Records and Everybody's Records. Shake It by far gets the biggest haul and have WAY more people which is fine. Galaxy is small, and what releases they do get they only get 3 or 4 MAX typically. Why not say "release 'X' is by a big name, in low numbers, let's send our 3rd tier stores more copies to draw people there."

I don't know, I'm sure there isn't a scenario that will please everyone.

there really wasnt anything good that came out the the black friday RSD this past year. the few things i was interested in are still available in at my local shop right now. there wasnt anything insanely limited. so if it does happen again there shouldnt be too much worry about being able to get things, unlike the normal RSD.

I'm a record shop owner / participant in Record Store Day. That $10,000 quote simply isn't true.

I get emails and updated directly from the RSD folks and I've seen nothing about a surprise RSD... but then I'm an old guitarist and don't always wear my glasses so I might of missed something.

Seriously....

I only got a handfull of RSD releases. I sold them at retail and didn't ePray them as agreed to. I have heard of some retailers going back on their word per that agreement. Pas bon. What douchebags.

My word is worth more than a few bucks profit on a couple of records, is the way I look at that.

RSD was good for my shop. I met a lot of new customers and sold quite a lot. In this poor economy, small indie retailers need all the help they can get.

Rent used to be around 700 or so, back in the 90s for a commercial space. These days they get 2300 for the same space. I bailed on that delusional rental world and obtained a far cheaper retail space so I can transfer that to my customers in fair pricing.

I buy records too for my personal collection that I come across on the web. I get it. I understand both perspectives.

Times are hard to survive as a small retailer, I assure you... but some of us are in it for the long haul due to a love of music.

I don't even HAVE an ebay account, and never will. I sell my best stuff to my local clientele. I call it loyalty. I hope they appreciate it as much as I appreciate their support and business.

Record Store Day isn't perfect but there are worse things in the world than celebrating vinyl.

I try to focus on the positive as a business owner. Just chiming in with thoughts about RSD from a shop owner perspective.

The $10000 thing is completely true. Super D did everything short of actually tell me, "You need to spend more money or you won't get all you ordered and your money will be in limbo for a week because we like to take things you've already paid for and give them to other stores who ordered late but gave us lots of money and probably head (Rand at Fingerprints.)."

My store spent $7000 UP FRONT. We got less than half of what we already paid for and didn't get the money back for more than a week.

A week or so later the store got a call from somebody who was pissed off enough about RSD to quit Super D that week and they told us that stores that spent more money got their order plus parts of other stores orders that didn't purchase as much. When Sony and Warner Bros. are really in charge, everything sucks.

RSD Black friday has been planned for this year since the day after last year's RSDBF. They also said earlier this year that they want to have RSD three times a year. Fuck that.

Seriously....

I had a record store totally try to dick me over in RSD this year with ebay shit so I appreciate the honest record stores out there. Don't go to revolver records in Phoenix! Short story is this. I called ahead and they told me they had 1 copy of City and Color - Sometimes. I get my ass there bright and early and was 3rd in line. When I get in the store I don't see the record I was looking for anywhere so I ask the owner about it. He pulls some shit like "oh this was priced at $25 but it is currently selling for $90 on ebay so we raised the price to $75." Shady son of a bitch! I had to haggle on the price and still feel like I got ripped off! That was the first and only time I will visit that store.

But yes Zia records did a black friday RSD last year. The only thing I remember was a limited edition of The Black Keys - Brothers.

This year's RSD was great for me. My local store had bands playing throughout the day (and I was one of them), the store was packed with people and cool records, and I managed to get two of the things I wanted most (Deerhoof and Gorillaz). As with the past RSD's, I simply wasn't that interested in a lot of the releases, and certainly not for how expensive they all were ($8-10 for a 7"? No way).

As far as ebay and RSD goes, people are too impatient. The Gorillaz album was going for $60 or so for about two weeks after RSD, but by Summer it had gone down to $15-20. Wait three months and get it for a third of what flippers initially put it up for.

Seriously....

I had a record store totally try to dick me over in RSD this year with ebay shit so I appreciate the honest record stores out there. Don't go to revolver records in Phoenix! Short story is this. I called ahead and they told me they had 1 copy of City and Color - Sometimes. I get my ass there bright and early and was 3rd in line. When I get in the store I don't see the record I was looking for anywhere so I ask the owner about it. He pulls some shit like "oh this was priced at $25 but it is currently selling for $90 on ebay so we raised the price to $75." Shady son of a bitch! I had to haggle on the price and still feel like I got ripped off! That was the first and only time I will visit that store.

But yes Zia records did a black friday RSD last year. The only thing I remember was a limited edition of The Black Keys - Brothers.

email the RSD folks and report that store to the people who run RSD. they don't like stores who do shit like that. they take this kind of stuff very seriously and will not allow that store to particpate in the future or receive any RSD releases anymore.