Hurricane Irene

yeah, i've been watching the news, and the media is making news reports about a few spots of new york that are in a foot of water.. oh my, a whole foot. is that it? no winds, just weak ass rain. they've made this whole situation seem almost cataclysmic even thought it's been a rather weak hurricane thus far by normal standards. so what if electricity is out.. it hit metro areas. what do you expect. that happens normally when there's tons of rain here. it's not really breaking news coverage. hell, most people here would still go about their day.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i spent all week looking forward to this date. cleaned the house, got a bottle of wine, even made sure i had a little pot.

and then she kept me waiting. i gave her the benefit of the doubt.. maybe something happened and she was just running late.

nope.

that bitch irene stood me up.

after a whole week of peppering me up with cute little rain showers, getting me all excited- and she doesnt even bother to show.

my whole town in north jersey has had no power all day. it's nutso. the storm wasn't even really supposed to hit where i am, as it was expected to stay just offshore. i'm pretty sure it plowed right over us. they are projecting up to 5 days before power is fully restored. what!

we had crazy wind and rain here.

i haven't had power since super early sunday morning and they said it might not be back on til wednesday morning. i'm not too happy wtih teh power company guys, as they've been out in our neighborhood twice now and haven't fixed the power.

I find it amusing that people are freaking out over no power for 3-4 days due to this "hurricane"...come to talk to me when you're without power for 3-4 weeks as we've had it here in Florida with some prior hurricanes.

Ha!

Power in this area was on in a day or less. I hate to say this wasn't that bad of a storm but it was not as bad as the other hurricanes that have rolled through here. Others have left us without power for weeks and caused horrible damage.

One of the fatality's here was an 11 year old boy killed by a tree that crashed through an apartment complex :(

I find it amusing that people are freaking out over no power for 3-4 days due to this "hurricane"...come to talk to me when you're without power for 3-4 weeks as we've had it here in Florida with some prior hurricanes.

Ha!

How about not being able to check on where you live for a month after Hurricane Katrina. These were the only images of my dorm I could see a week after Katrina.

[image]

The first hurricane I can recall, as a kid... was Betsy.

I've seen enough hurricanes over the decades to know not to compare them.

Wind damage and flood damage can both kill people...

Right now... people need help. I would urge people to focus on that part.

Remember the Cajun Navy? Learn from them.

Ha!

the problem was that the infrastructure of the northeast isn't particularly prepared for this intense of a storm. it's like if a foot of snow fell down by you over three days or something. also, the dc-phila-nyc-boston corridor is more than double the size in population of south florida and the gulf coast combined.

oh, and we matter more anyway ;)

I've been telling people that DC got the earthquake and then the hurricane because God was trying to send them a message...then Michelle Bachmann said it and fucking ruined it for me!

The thing is...it's a joke when I say it, obviously. But I don't say it jokingly, just to see how people respond, for my own amusement. I sometimes make fun of people without them knowing it. I'm kind of a jerk :(

I've been telling people that DC got the earthquake and then the hurricane because God was trying to send them a message...then Michelle Bachmann said it and fucking ruined it for me!

The thing is...it's a joke when I say it, obviously. But I don't say it jokingly, just to see how people respond, for my own amusement. I sometimes make fun of people without them knowing it. I'm kind of a jerk :(

Relax man, we obviously know thats a joke....just like Michelle Bachmann. I wonder if she thinks masturbation is a crime too.

you sell yourself short sometimes... :P