Smashing Pumpkins

i'm really digging it too, and i agree with not liking most of his/their new stuff, tho i did really enjoy machina.

zeitgeist really put me off, and the bc solo album wasn't too great either.

i liked zwan as a band a lot, but the mary album left a lot to be desired.

that being said oceania is great so far, but i still hate how hippy preachy quasar is.

also, my love is winter is way more upbeat than the way they've been playing it live for the past few years, but the keyboards sound great!

Pleased that the stream is of the actual quality that you'll be able to buy from the iTunes store. It sounds great on my hifi. As for the music, I haven't completely bought in just yet. The album is pretty front-loaded with rockers to appeal to the 90s SP fan in me, but a lot of the softer stuff loses me. I will say this, however: I loved Zeitgest initially and that love waned over time. Maybe Oceania will be the opposite? I'm liking my second listen more than the first, though the only thing I'm really loving is the production. It sounds like a modern SP and I'm not sure I like this version of the band.

Pisces looks like its going tobe black 180 gram vinyl like the other recent Pumpkins reissues.

Hopefully Mellancolie is up next.

The SP website says late July for pisces I wonder if they mean a pre order because you would think they would have artwork and details to display buy now if this is going to drop next month.

Yea the one sheet the label sent out says 7/17 and 180 gram vinyl.

listened to oceania again today.

i keep trying to compare it to stuff they put out before their breakup, and it keeps disappointing me, but if i compare it to everything they've done AFTER the breakup, it sounds amazing!

we've gotten what since machina?

zeitgeist, american gothic, glow/superchrist/FOL, and then all that teargarden stuff.

yeah, oceania is fantastic compared to those.

but everyone saying this record is better than adore and machina is completely insane to me.

CD quality of this leaked today and I'm making more of a connection now. Really really great production. It definitely doesn't touch anything pre-Machina but it's easily the best collection of songs since the "reunion."

i've had cd quality on my phone since the day of the itunes stream, whachu talkin' bout?

i've had cd quality on my phone since the day of the itunes stream, whachu talkin' bout?

Anything that was out the day of the stream is a transcode. Unless you had the raw m4p file from the stream, which was volume limited to -7db for some reason and awfully soft, not to mention that it wasn't split into separate tracks and could not be without reencoding. There is an actual rip from the retail CD available now and it sounds great.

i downloaded the day the stream went up, so i expecting it to sound like crap, but it sounded better than most things on my ipod, and i usually only rip/download 320 kbps files. the vinyl was already delivered to my house today though, i can't wait to give the real thing a spin.

jealous, mine didn't come in today, but will tomorrow (or better, at least, amazon took my money today).

but yeah, the mp3 i got day of stream is 320k and it sounds great.

i've jammed it in my car many times already.

the more i listen to this, the more i realize it's pretty much exactly what i expected a second Zwan album to sound like.

that's a good thing. zwan just seems a more appropriate title for billy's preachy jesus side.

i also feel that quasar is (lyrically) an embarrassing introduction to this album.

everything after it is right on par, and fantastic. even the music of quasar is fantastic, but lyrically it sounds like his just trying to high five the source family.

the more i listen to this, the more i realize it's pretty much exactly what i expected a second Zwan album to sound like.

That's exactly how I feel - it's what I wanted the Zwan album to sound like but it didn't quite hit the mark for me. More specifically, I think it sounds like the lovechild of 'Mary Star of the Sea' and 'Gish'.

I do feel that the album starts and ends strong but meanders a bit too much in the middle. If it was a tight 10 tracks a la 'Gish' I think it would be even better. (Not that I'm familiar enough with it yet to know what to cut, but the sequencing is a bit off.)